Just watched Alien for the first time

That's probably shocking to many! Alien is one of the three giant movies that for whatever reason, I never watched (the other two are Titanic and Avatar). I love Aliens and have seen it probably 25+ times, and have seen every other Alien franchise movie at least once (haven't seen Romulus yet, but will). I don't know why Alien always eluded me, but last night after I was feeling down because of @stepee's death, my wife pulled out an air mattress and sleeping bags, and we made our living room into a sleepover to watch a movie. Don't know why, but I chose Alien.

Fantastic film, and though I already knew the plot, it really holds up for a film from the 70s, especially the set design and effects. Yeah, it's obvious the xenomorph is a guy in a rubber suit compared to subsequent movies, but everything is still very effective.

Overall it just blew me away with how lived-in the Nostromo felt, and how so few movies made today have that same feel. These were just seven regular-ish people doing their long-haul job, and they looked it. I am definitely on the bandwagon that modern movies have actors that look too good for the roles they are in, and wish we could also go back to heavier use of practical sets and effects.  

Anyway, I'd rate it a good 8.5 or 9 out of 10. I'd still say Aliens is my favourite (in the same way I'd say T2 is my preferred Terminator over the original, as I am more of a fan of action compared to horror/thriller), but I can definitely see why people say it's one of the most important horror/sci-fi movies of all time.

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Hype 1

Hell yeah. It’s one of those classics you’ve heard about your whole life, but actually lives up to the hype. 

And I can’t really throw stones because I have plenty of huge blind spots, but it is pretty baffling to see the sequels without seeing the original. It would make way more sense to have never seen any of the Alien movies at this point. :p

• True 1

49 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Hell yeah. It’s one of those classics you’ve heard about your whole life, but actually lives up to the hype. 

And I can’t really throw stones because I have plenty of huge blind spots, but it is pretty baffling to see the sequels without seeing the original. It would make way more sense to have never seen any of the Alien movies at this point. :p

Haha, yeah I'm not sure how I missed it. I think because I first watched Aliens when I was younger, I just associated the franchise with that (and of course all the sequels were bad in comparison).

50 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

NOW GO PLAY ALIEN: ISOLATION!

Horror movies? Oh, you mean bad comedies. I can watch those, just don't like'em

Horror games? Oh, you mean monster shooter games. I'll play those.

Actual Horror games?

Im Not No Way GIF

• Halal 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

12 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

That's probably shocking to many! Alien is one of the three giant movies that for whatever reason, I never watched (the other two are Titanic and Avatar). I love Aliens and have seen it probably 25+ times, and have seen every other Alien franchise movie at least once (haven't seen Romulus yet, but will). I don't know why Alien always eluded me, but last night after I was feeling down because of @stepee's death, my wife pulled out an air mattress and sleeping bags, and we made our living room into a sleepover to watch a movie. Don't know why, but I chose Alien.

Fantastic film, and though I already knew the plot, it really holds up for a film from the 70s, especially the set design and effects. Yeah, it's obvious the xenomorph is a guy in a rubber suit compared to subsequent movies, but everything is still very effective.

Overall it just blew me away with how lived-in the Nostromo felt, and how so few movies made today have that same feel. These were just seven regular-ish people doing their long-haul job, and they looked it. I am definitely on the bandwagon that modern movies have actors that look too good for the roles they are in, and wish we could also go back to heavier use of practical sets and effects.  

Anyway, I'd rate it a good 8.5 or 9 out of 10. I'd still say Aliens is my favourite (in the same way I'd say T2 is my preferred Terminator over the original, as I am more of a fan of action compared to horror/thriller), but I can definitely see why people say it's one of the most important horror/sci-fi movies of all time.

Actors today all have Instagram face. Perfect faces, freakishly shiny white teeth, and bulging muscles. No one looks like a regular human being anymore. 

When you watch old movies, you see such a broad range of expressive and interesting faces. Faces that don't exist anymore. And it's sad.

12 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I have to admit that watching Alien as a "pick-me-up movie" isn't quite something I'd ever expect to read in my lifetime :lol:

I asked my girlfriend what would be a "pick-me-up movie" for her and she said depending on the mood it could be Lethal Weapon, The Expendables, or even Deadpool. She loves gratuitous violence. 

Just now, Brick said:

I asked my girlfriend what would be a "pick-me-up movie" for her and she said depending on the mood it could be Lethal Weapon, The Expendables, or even Deadpool. She loves gratuitous violence. 

Now, those I can definitely kinda/sorta see because the the gratuitous violence is mixed with a sense of humor.

But Alien?!?!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Now, those I can definitely kinda/sorta see because the the gratuitous violence is mixed with a sense of humor.

But Alien?!?!

Yeah. I know some people who would also pick horror movies. 

On 8/25/2024 at 10:26 AM, CitizenVectron said:

There should be more movies that have dudes in rubber suits TBH.

• 2 weeks later...