RIP in Peace, stepee. We'll miss you.

Had another thought.  Since I'm a migrant from a dead forum from many years ago, I really appreciate all that's been done here to keep the ball rolling.  That other community ended up squandering any opportunity to stay united, no one seemed to care about holding onto the connections that were made because they resigned to places like this being a dead end.

It's really heartwarming to see the love and support given to our friend's family, and what @SoberChef mentioned about the role of everyone here.  I'm really honored to be part of this community, and this is a big reason why.  You guys treat each other as genuine people.

Last message I got from steepe was a code for the Ace Attorney Trilogy he got from a bundle repeat.  I'm planning to boot that up tonight, especially with all the references in this thread.  Probably never would have touched the series otherwise, but I'm really looking forward to it.

• stepee 1
  • Hugs 5

Stephen was always so generous even before he came into money. The only thing that changed after that was he could do it even more. He really loved giving people things. It was just part of who he was. 

• stepee 5
  • True 1
  • Hugs 5

17 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I passed along the news to bombasador and triage since I’m in regular contact with them. They were saddened to hear it and wanted me to extend condolences to @Andrea

Please tell them I said thank you. I really hate that we are all hurting right now but it’s nice to have people who understand too. 

• Hugs 7

My mom extends her deepest, sincerest condolences to the community because she knows just how so very much this place means to me.  She says that she'll keep all of us in her thoughts and prayers and says that we should take heart that @stepee had the opportunity to share his life and experiences with us and ours with him.

I read his mom's message to her and she would like @Andrea to convey to her that from one mother to another, she wishes all the love in the world to her and that she will be especially praying for her comfort and solace.

• stepee 4
  • Hugs 4

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

My mom extends her deepest, sincerest condolences to the community because she knows just how so very much this place means to me.  She says that she'll keep all of us in her thoughts and prayers and says that we should take heart that @stepee had the opportunity to share his life and experiences with us and ours with him.

I read his mom's message to her and she would like @Andrea to convey to her that from one mother to another, she wishes all the love in the world to her and that she will be especially praying for her comfort and solace.

Thank you Wade. That is extremely kind of your mother. I will tell her. 

Also wanted to let you all know there will be an autopsy on Tuesday. Hoping it gives us some insight into why/how he left us. As long as his family gives the go ahead, I will share what is learned.

• stepee 2
  • Hugs 5

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

And having caught up on the thread, I'd be happy to write a letter to his parents. I've been a nurse even longer than @TUFKAK and my handwriting it still legible. :p

Floor nurse vs ER nurse right here everyone; all the time in the world to focus on their penmanship 😉

@Commissar SFLUFAN

What do you think about us creating a 529/contributing to one for @stepee nieces. When the family is ready maybe @Andrea can pass along this suggestion.

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

4 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Floor nurse vs ER nurse right here everyone; all the time in the world to focus on their penmanship 😉

@Commissar SFLUFAN

What do you think about us creating a 529/contributing to one for @stepee nieces. When the family is ready maybe @Andrea can pass along this suggestion.

That's a fantastic idea!

Last year after he got all his money, one of the first things he did was get college funds for them set up, because of course he did. And I believe they are beneficiaries of his estate all together (or at least partially) which he implied once but I don’t know for certain. 

Definitely something I can ask his mom more about in a little bit and see if there are ways we can financially show support to his nieces/family. 

• stepee 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 2
  • Hugs 3

7 hours ago, Biggie said:

Man seeing his Nintendo Switch avatar icon hurts so bad. He loved the Switch and the games. Had been patiently waiting for the Switch 2 to be announced.

Yeah Brian mentioned this earlier but there was just so much he was looking forwad to it bums be out to even look at those threads. Switch 2, the plucky squire, the new Sonic game, I see those bears in Zenless Zone Zero and always think of him and I don't think he ever ended up playing it either. 😢

• Hugs 2

7 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

What I'd give for stepee to pop in and go "wtf kind of cruel joke is this?" I'd hate everyone who "pranked" us, but I'd still much prefer that as an outcome infinitely over this timeline.

I thought the same thing the other day. We would be mad but could overcome it. But this unfortunately became much too elaborate to be a hoax. :(

• Hugs 3

I litteraly just can't fully believe he is gone. Seeing his posts and avatar is so devastating. To grasp that we will never chat again is really heartbreaking. He was looking forward to so many games and vacation like to Japan. It's an extremely difficult time for all of us. 

• Hugs 3

59 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

What I'd give for stepee to pop in and go "wtf kind of cruel joke is this?" I'd hate everyone who "pranked" us, but I'd still much prefer that as an outcome infinitely over this timeline.

I thought this on my drive this morning. :tired:

• Hugs 3

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

I’ve been hoping for this to be a massive troll job since Saturday. I’d be furious but also happy.

• Hugs 2

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I thought the same thing the other day. We would be mad but could overcome it. But this unfortunately became much too elaborate to be a hoax. :(

56 minutes ago, AlwaysDyingX said:

I thought this on my drive this morning. :tired:

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’ve been hoping for this to be a massive troll job since Saturday. I’d be furious but also happy.

This is one of the stages of grief which is what we're all working our way through right now.  It's perfectly natural and understandable.

• Hugs 3

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This is one of the stages of grief which is what we're all working our way through right now.  It's perfectly natural and understandable.

I think partially true but also something one could believe given that Stepee was known to be a bit mischievous at times.

That being said if it was fake I think he would have felt bad a long time ago and told us all it was fake. :p

• Haha 2
  • Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think partially true but also something one could believe given that Stepee was known to be a bit mischievous at times.

That being said if it was fake I think he would have felt bad a long time ago and told us all it was fake. :p

I'd like to think that our beloved RNG deity @stepee (PBUH) would definitely realize that a prank of that sort is inherently traumatic to those on the receiving end and he'd never even consider it to begin with!

• True 2

23 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This is reassuring to hear. It’s my first time losing someone close to me and I’m learning from others a lot of these thoughts and feelings are common. I’ve already said to so many people myself that I keep waiting for him to text me and he’ll say this has all been a big misunderstanding. And then one day we could all look back and laugh at that time we thought he died. 

• Hugs 5

1 minute ago, Andrea said:

This is reassuring to hear. It’s my first time losing someone close to me and I’m learning from others a lot of these thoughts and feelings are common. I’ve already said to so many people myself that I keep waiting for him to text me and he’ll say this has all been a big misunderstanding. And then one day we could all look back and laugh at that time we thought he died. 

I can assure you that there's noting abnormal about those thoughts and feelings at all, not in the least.

41 minutes ago, Andrea said:

I wish this were the first time for me. I can say seeing one of my best friends in a coffin at the celebration of life was one way to really drive it home for me in 2016. When we lost a beloved teacher in 2006 to cancer, there was no viewing because I think he may have looked rough at that point, so we still thought if we visited our old high school, we'd be able to hear him laughing down the hallway.

In fact, this shit got to me and now I'm already wondering who I'll lose in 2026 to keep up with the 10-year tradition even though that's illogical. :| 

So yeah, the denial stage is real and natural. As hard as it is, it'll help you work through it, I think. 

• stepee 1
  • Hugs 4

47 minutes ago, Andrea said:

very much a normal feeling. 

my mother was sick for years and passed when I was 13. She had this specific electric bell she used when she needed anything, and when she did it was my and my sister’s responsibility to drop anything we were doing and see to what she needed. As dad was moving things around he pressed the button to see if it still worked. My sister and i rushed up the stairs to only see our dad, who’s face changed expression from quizzical to shame as he saw the looks of absolute disappointment on our faces. 

All that to say, even when you know for a long time it is coming, even when you know better, the sense of wanting it all to be a misunderstanding is there. Eventually you’ll feel used to void or absence. And when you notice you have you may even feel guilty and relive much of this all over again. It’s nothing to beat yourself up over. It is normal. We’re just designed to do that. 

• Hugs 3

I didn't know him as well as most of you, but I always enjoyed his posts over the years which often put a smile on my face. This is a true loss to this community. Rest in peace. :rose:

Grief is a strange thing. I have noticed that not only does each person grieve differently, but I grieve differently each time I lose someone close. Take care of yourselves everyone. It will get better with time.

• stepee 1
  • Hugs 3

26 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Take care of yourselves everyone. It will get better with time.

It absolutely hasn't gotten better over time with me losing my twin brother. The pain I feel today is probably more intense than the initial time it happened. Every single day I cry at one point throughout the day from his passing. But to be fair the identical twin relationship is on another human level of attachment and love.

But I still don't believe that it gets better with time. At least not for me. 

• Hugs 5

From my experiences with grief, it's not so much that grief necessarily gets "better" with time.  I'd like to say that grief becomes "manageable" or "different" (rather than "better") as that captures the idea that it's not a static experience - it continues to shape and evolve as we shape and evolve through our lives.

But what's absolutely true as @Massdriver poignantly stated is that there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to how we experience grief, far from it.  Grief is perhaps the most complex of all human emotional experiences with reactions that run the gamut from quiet contemplation to  uncontrollably messy weeping (my standard reaction).

• stepee 4
  • True 1

Looking back at it. When my Grandma died I wasn't super sad. While I certainly spent a fair amount of time with her, it wasn't something I thought about much. Same with my Grandpa.

The one that hit the hardest was my father of course and I didn't necessarily feel the denial there because there was nothing to deny. I was the one who found him and I had an eerie feeling since he was not answering my calls for like a week (even though people said  they had seen him the day before so at I can accept that in a way). It just felt like a sickness that lasted for days.

Stepee is a lingering sadness. Even though we never met in person his presence was here all the time. It was just something you took for granted. Wake up, see Stepee glowing about some piece of tech or game or something. Always positive. So that absence is definitely felt by everyone here including myself.

• Hugs 7

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Looking back at it. When my Grandma died I wasn't super sad. While I certainly spent a fair amount of time with her, it wasn't something I thought about much. Same with my Grandpa.

The one that hit the hardest was my father of course and I didn't necessarily feel the denial there because there was nothing to deny. I was the one who found him and I had an eerie feeling since he was not answering my calls for like a week (even though people said  they had seen him the day before so at I can accept that in a way). It just felt like a sickness that lasted for days.

Stepee is a lingering sadness. Even though we never met in person his presence was here all the time. It was just something you took for granted. Wake up, see Stepee glowing about some piece of tech or game or something. Always positive. So that absence is definitely felt by everyone here including myself.

I could talk to him about games, tech, food, sports, any fucking thing.

• True 2
  • Hugs 1