Steam Deck surpasses all expectations and it’s baffling

Played and beaten “Killer Frequency”

Beat Cyberpunk 2077

Started Resident Evil 2

lost everything for reasons some may know. Luckily have 600 or so Steam games, not to mention 140 GOG games. Among others too 

Paid $220 for this Steam Deck 256gb version. Came with the case, a 256gb SD card, TV dock, wireless controller 

it’s been so refreshing to use and play. 

game changing 

https://imgur.com/a/8pVaIVv

• stepee 1
  • True 1
  • Hugs 1

Been playing the Doom 1 + Doom 2 rereleases on it, they look and run so good on the OLED, solid 90 FPS, good stuff. Also playing through a good chunk of SMT V, which doesn't drop to like 4 FPS, unlike the Switch version, which was fucking miserable to play.

As long as you understand its limits and don't go trying to run some next-gen exclusive game, it's such a good time. Absolutely S-tier for emulation as well.

7 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

As long as you understand its limits and don't go trying to run some next-gen exclusive game, it's such a good time. Absolutely S-tier for emulation as well.

I've played TLOU 1 on it and Cyberpunk and they both run fine. I play any game I'm interested in on it. Never had any issues. 

5 minutes ago, Best said:

TLOU 1 was released and developed for the PS5 and PC. 

Yes, but it's functionally a rerelease of a title from two generations ago with a big shiny coat of new paint.

You might have less luck with something designed for next-gen exclusively, like, say, FF16. Because it's not just about the visuals, it's about how data is streamed and lots of other weird shit we don't think about too much.

I'm not saying it can't work, I'm just saying it's gonna be a stark contrast going from running a PS4 exclusive at excellent settings with great performance, to a PS5 title that... well...

D1AT25m.png

Though if I'm being fair, that's still more clear than FF7 Rebirth on performance mode on a PS5.

10 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Been playing the Doom 1 + Doom 2 rereleases on it, they look and run so good on the OLED, solid 90 FPS, good stuff. Also playing through a good chunk of SMT V, which doesn't drop to like 4 FPS, unlike the Switch version, which was fucking miserable to play.

Oh yeah. Didn’t we get free updates?

Glad you're enjoying it, @maddux4163, and welcome back! :hug:

The thing I love about the Steam Deck is just that it is so easy to quickly pick up and play for a few minutes, then suspend the game, go do something else, and come back later right where you were. Obviously not a feature that is strictly unique to the SD, but it's implemented really well. Plus the decent screen (even with the LCD version I've got), decent performance on semi-modern games, etc. I guess some people wish the battery life was longer, but honestly I rarely am able to game for more than 2-3 hours these days anyway. I love mine too! 

• stepee 1

10 minutes ago, Nokra said:

The thing I love about the Steam Deck is just that it is so easy to quickly pick up and play for a few minutes, then suspend the game, go do something else, and come back later right where you were. Obviously not a feature that is strictly unique to the SD, but it's implemented really well. Plus the decent screen (even with the LCD version I've got), decent performance on semi-modern games, etc. I guess some people wish the battery life was longer, but honestly I rarely am able to game for more than 2-3 hours these days anyway. I love mine too! 

Agreed. Mine is LCD too and it’s ABSOLUTELY stunning looking 

Also, I mainly use mine charged on a dock with a wireless controller WHILE I can semi watch my movies or shows lol 😂 

finished up cyberpunk 2077 that way and Killer Frequency (made a thread on that game)

It’s absolutely everything I could want. I can play basically all my 600 steam games and 140 GOG games in a couple clicks on demand and fast 

On 8/25/2024 at 2:28 AM, Nokra said:

I’m the guy who basically uses my SD plugged in anyhow. 

it’s a play at home device for me. I know everyone is different. 

But being able to install a game quickly and play is amazing. I’ve always had a large Steam library but NEVER had a device to just plug and play with them and do it portably. 

For what I paid, couldn’t be happier. It’s wild how I can EASILY run Cyberpunk 2077, among others on such a device. 

Bought and played “Killer Frequency” on it. Start to finish. 7-8 hours total but tad longer IRL. Had my tv going and using my phone for the “socials” and what not. I’m not “locked in” to it. Just kinda have it going 

Beautiful. Great to see you again my friend. 

Yeah the Steam Deck is great. Obviously tons of great games are available and its so easy to pick-up-and-play. It works as a portable system about as well as Switch, so I take it with me once in a while when I travel. (I don't own a dock for it, it's 100% a portable machine for me) 

I'm pretty new to Steam. Which is dangerous, because I don't have much willpower to not succumb to their big sales, lol. 

• Sicko 2

I'm currently playing Cyberpunk on my deck and I can run it at high settings. It looks absolutely incredible.

I've put 33 hours in this so far because I'm doing all side quests. Some of the side quests are better than the campaign.

I romanced two characters which was really well done. 

When it's all said and done I think Cyberpunk is a 10/10 at its current state. Just incredible what CD Project Red has done to salvage this game. I haven't even touched the Phantom Liberty dlc yet.