Peloton announces $95 “used equipment activation fee”

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The Commissar spends like $2k a year keeping this rust bucket afloat for 50 people, so I assume a business with thousands or hundreds of thousands of users has some real costs to keep their “free” services running.

Charging fees to dissuade people from buying in the secondary market is a poor business tactic. You can develop other means of encouraging new or direct refurbs without financially punishing those who buy in the secondary market.

It's an actively stupid business decision for Peloton because the person dumping their bike is presumably no longer interested in paying the monthly subscription for the trainings they offer through the bike, while the person buying it secondhand presumably is. But now the original owner is more likely to just dump the bike and the other person is more likely to go buy something else. 

On a similar note, I really want to try an Eight Sleep device to get active cooling while I sleep, but 1) it's stupidly expensive upfront and 2) it requires a monthly subscription for at least the first year, at $17 or $25/month (depending on whether you get the extended warranty or not). :silly: 

7 hours ago, Nokra said:

On a similar note, I really want to try an Eight Sleep device to get active cooling while I sleep, but 1) it's stupidly expensive upfront and 2) it requires a monthly subscription for at least the first year, at $17 or $25/month (depending on whether you get the extended warranty or not). :silly: 

Aren't these like $2500 before the sub-fee? Just get an active temp Sleep Number bed for like $3k at that point and you'll also be able to adjust the softness and firmness in real-time as well as the cooling.

12 hours ago, Nokra said:

I had never heard of this product so I did some Googling and yikes, no thank you. I understand that there’s bias because people are more likely to come to the internet to complain, but I came across some Reddit reviews that seemed pretty balanced and the reports of leaking or inconsistent performance are pretty scary for what that costs.

7 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

It's been done.

I mean running Doom on a toaster is cool and all but I'm more taken with the fact that there's a defined toaster icon for the control panel. :lol:

24 minutes ago, legend said:

I don't need my toaster to be connected to proprietary internet apps and services. It's a toaster for fucks sake.

But put linux on it and we can talk.

My 20-year-old washer and drier had some issues this year and I made damned sure we fixed them rather than replace. I don't need an app or wifi to wash my clothes. Ideally, I just want a single knob or dial, and a few push buttons.

5 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

My toaster oven has an app which I don’t use but I tried it one time and you couldn’t even remotely preheat the thing!

Something something fire risk something. That being said, my cousin’s pellet grill/smoker did have WiFi-controlled preheating. Did. The company removed it after a customer burned their house down. 

9 hours ago, S3xB0t said:

Something something fire risk something. That being said, my cousin’s pellet grill/smoker did have WiFi-controlled preheating. Did. The company removed it after a customer burned their house down. 

I could see that problem with a smoker but the preheat feature on my toaster oven turns the machine off after about ten minutes if you don’t press the physical button for the cook timer start

14 hours ago, S3xB0t said:

Yeah, the one useful feature an oven with wifi or something may have is disabled because people burn their houses down.  Now instead my LG oven now tells my LG TV that it is preheated, and that's about it.