Peloton announces $95 “used equipment activation fee”

50 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I’m surprised Peloton has lasted as long as they have. Nothing about their business model is something I ever would have bought into.

WWW.INVESTOPEDIA.COM

Peloton Interactive shares raced higher in intraday trading Thursday after the company posted quarterly revenue growth for the first time in more than two years.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

I have one of these, and it's great. I'm grandfathered in but this is just an exceptionally stupid thing to do.

They are offering a 50% deal if you order the 3rd gen one right now.  Given mine is close to 10 years old, and my record with 10-year old small appliances is sketchy, I ordered a new one.

50 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

WWW.INVESTOPEDIA.COM

Peloton Interactive shares raced higher in intraday trading Thursday after the company posted quarterly revenue growth for the first time in more than two years.

They made like .2% growth and had to layoff a ton of their staff to make that.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Low interest rates have spoiled us. These apps aren’t free to maintain, but I also do dumb tech where I can because I don’t want the old bait and switch

The machine doesn't need the app, I almost never use it.  It can all be manipulated on the face buttons

That said, managing the service for new/inexperienced "sous-viders" with recipes, ratings, etc. isn't free for them.

The Commissar spends like $2k a year keeping this rust bucket afloat for 50 people, so I assume a business with thousands or hundreds of thousands of users has some real costs to keep their “free” services running.

Charging fees to dissuade people from buying in the secondary market is a poor business tactic. You can develop other means of encouraging new or direct refurbs without financially punishing those who buy in the secondary market.

I keep my shit as low tech as possible. My dishwasher, refrigerator, oven, washer, dryer, microwave, and toaster don’t need to have any degree of internet connectivity. I understand the appeal, but it’s just another feature to break, another questionable app to keep installed, and another copy of my data floating around on random servers. Not that the data security is all that important, as we’ve seen. 

My one exception to all of the smart home stuff is the lightbulbs in my lamps that are all controlled via Google Home. That just means I have Google devices listening for commands (and who knows what else) in every room. But subscription services for appliances? I understand the need to cover maintenance costs, but it’s death by a thousand cuts in a society that bills me enough already.

• Halal 1

31 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The Commissar spends like $2k a year keeping this rust bucket afloat for 50 people, so I assume a business with thousands or hundreds of thousands of users has some real costs to keep their “free” services running.

Charging fees to dissuade people from buying in the secondary market is a poor business tactic. You can develop other means of encouraging new or direct refurbs without financially punishing those who buy in the secondary market.

A f2p game transitioning mid point to p2p deserves criticism.

I don't have any smart devices other than my phone, TV, PC, or consoles.

Although I will say that when a device or appliance in your home is older than you are, it might be worth considering a new one.  Seriously, the toilet in my apartment was replaced last year, and the old one was apparently from the 50s.

I have a handful of smart stuff in my house.  The lock on my front door, my garage, and handful of outlets and lights.  

It’s just convenient.  You yell at a robot and the lights go out or if someone is visiting and I’m not there yet I can unlock the door.  

• stepee 1

I have some smart bulbs outside that run on a schedule. I keep the switch on 100% of the time and they auto dim/turn on/off even when we're away. If I need to I can change the color/light from an app. I also put some in my hallway so when I'm out of town I program them to turn on/off as if we're home throught the day. I already have the mode set so just disable/enable it.

I think my fridge has WIFI but I'll never use it. My washer & dryer do but it's kind of just a notification service.

Roomba has it.

TV has it but it's disabled.

• stepee 1

32 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Although I will say that when a device or appliance in your home is older than you are, it might be worth considering a new one.  Seriously, the toilet in my apartment was replaced last year, and the old one was apparently from the 50s.

Unless the ceramic cracks there’s not much of a reason to replace a toilet. As long as one can get parts to replace the ones that wear out a toilet will keep sucking down shits like a champ. Although, you’re probably saving water with a newer one as they’re almost all low flow these days.

1 minute ago, S3xB0t said:

Unless the ceramic cracks there’s not much of a reason to replace a toilet. As long as one can get parts to replace the ones that wear out a toilet will keep sucking down shits like a champ. Although, you’re probably saving water with a newer one as they’re almost all low flow these days.

Shape changed over time too. Maybe he had those little circle ones instead of the big oval for your peepee.

• True 1

17 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I have a handful of smart stuff in my house.  The lock on my front door, my garage, and handful of outlets and lights.  

It’s just convenient.  You yell at a robot and the lights go out or if someone is visiting and I’m not there yet I can unlock the door.  

Oh yeah! My door lock has WiFi. I use that shit all the time. If family visits I program a temp code for them, if my cleaner arrives and I'm not home yet I open the door for her. If a neighbor is picking up a package and I'm out of town I let them in.

9 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Oh yeah! My door lock has WiFi. I use that shit all the time. If family visits I program a temp code for them, if my cleaner arrives and I'm not home yet I open the door for her. If a neighbor is picking up a package and I'm out of town I let them in.

What brand do you use?

12 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Shape changed over time too. Maybe he had those little circle ones instead of the big oval for your peepee.

The circle is far superior than the oval if you have potty training little kids. Don’t have to worry about shit getting stuck on the portion without standing water. 

2 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

From my understanding peloton classes cost money anyway so you’re not getting anything “free” if you get it secondhand anyway right?  I don’t know what legacy software they’re maintaining that wouldn’t be covered by that fee.

You are cutting out their sweet margin on the crazily priced hardware. That is why it is just punitive. They could give positive benefits to people who buy new or refurb, but they go the lazy route of just fining people for not giving them money for the hardware even though the thing is basically useless without buying a sub as you could get a better quality dumb stationary bike for less.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The only smart device in my home that's not my phone, consoles, or PC is my TV.

I absolutely refuse to have any other internet-connected devices.

I keep my TV disconnected from the internet and use an Nvidia Shield.

I did that the moment a Samsung "update", included splattering ads everywhere..