Following the end of affirmative action, M.I.T.'s Black/Latino student enrollment drops sharply while Asian enrollment increases significantly

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Asian American students made up almost half of the 2028 class — the first admitted since the end of affirmative action.

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology's incoming class of 2028 saw a precipitous drop-off in the percentage of Black, Hispanic, Native American and Pacific Islander students, the university announced on Wednesday. It is M.I.T.'s first undergraduate class to be admitted since the U.S. Supreme Court's decision last year banning affirmative action, and M.I.T. is the first major university to release statistics on the composition of its freshman class since the high court's ruling.

For the incoming class of 2028, about 16 percent of students are Black, Hispanic, Native American and Pacific Islander, compared with a baseline of about 25 percent of undergraduate students in recent years, the announcement said.

The comparison to the class of 2027 was also dramatic. The percentage of Black students enrolled dropped to 5 percent from 15 percent, and the percentage of Hispanic and Latino students dropped to 11 percent from 16 percent. White students made up 37 percent of the new class, compared with 38 percent last year.

On the other hand, the percentage of Asian American students in the class jumped to 47 percent from 40 percent. (The percentages do not add up to 100, according to M.I.T., because students could declare more than one race.)

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Following the end of affirmative action, M.I.T.'s Black/Latino student enrollment drops sharply while Asian enrollment increases significantly

The right-wing (and honestly, many liberals') obsession with "the best" is pretty disgusting. Here is an example of how I hire:

Three candidates:

A - Meets 99% of requirements - White guy

B - Meets 98% of requirements - White woman

C - Meets 97% of requirements - Indian woman

Who should I hire? Many people would say "the best," which is the white guy. But how do you measure the best? Is it just some random metric like test scores, etc? No, it isn't. You also need to take into account personality, diversity of experience, etc. Having an entire team of people that are all the same is very bad and leads to groupthink. You want people with different cultural and other types of backgrounds to hep challenge decision-making, etc.

So maybe the white guy is the best (sometimes it works out that way), but if three people are all that close to the top, then there is a great chance that all three would be perfect for the role, and you have to include those non-metric factors when hiring. It's not "reverse racism" or anything like that.

My American Government teacher in High School was always bitching about affirmative action, like it was the number one biggest policy blunder of the century. I got a three day suspension for calling him a fucking douche. Hated that fucker. If White Grievance was a person.

• stepee 1

The best fix I’ve seen is to start taxing endowments for schools that don’t expand to keep up with population increases. You need more spots. Other schools, particularly big public schools like the UCs, UT, Michigan, etc continue to expand enrollment while providing great education and alumni network effects. The “elite” schools are a buncha dorks who care about the wrong things.

• Halal 1

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Personally, I'd tax the endowments of the "elite" institutions just for the hell of it.

Its a better use of the funds then these universities consistently hiring alumni to do questionable contract work, simply because they are alumni. 

10 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Personally, I'd tax the endowments of the "elite" institutions just for the hell of it.

Absolutely. 

i wish the right wasn’t hell bent on destroying colleges because I think there’s a lot of frustration with the size of endowments that really do nothing to help with the cost of college and taxation of these assets could be a part of a sustainable solution and this could be a legitimate place to improve college education

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Google tells me the total value of all university endowments is about $800 billion, with an annual increase of about 7% from the previous reporting year. Median endowment is about $200 million

You don't even have to hit those with endowments at, below, or somewhat above the median - set the threshold at $1 billion and you're well on your way!

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

You don't even have to hit those with endowments at, below, or somewhat above the median - set the threshold at $1 billion and you're well on your way!

Hell from what Wikipedia tells me Trump gets an extremely rare W for taxing endowments with an “excise tax of 1.4% on institutions that have at least 500 tuition-paying students and net assets of at least $500,000 per student.”

13 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Hell from what Wikipedia tells me Trump gets an extremely rare W for taxing endowments with an “excise tax of 1.4% on institutions that have at least 500 tuition-paying students and net assets of at least $500,000 per student.”

Gotta be like SALT where he landed on something resembling the right policy for the worst possible reasons.

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Gotta be like SALT where he landed on something resembling the right policy for the worst possible reasons.

It comes off like a diet version of Scott Walker's approach in Wisconsin, limited by what Trump / the executive could do to universities nationwide. It's as simple as, "universities are liberal, liberal is bad, taxes are bad, schools have money; must give bad thing to bad thing."

• True 1