Biden Approved Secret Nuclear Strategy Refocusing on Chinese Threat (NY Times)

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

In a classified document approved in March, the president ordered U.S. forces to prepare for possible coordinated nuclear confrontations with Russia, China and North Korea.

President Biden approved in March a highly classified nuclear strategic plan for the United States that, for the first time, reorients America’s deterrent strategy to focus on China’s rapid expansion in its nuclear arsenal.

The shift comes as the Pentagon believes China’s stockpiles will rival the size and diversity of the United States’ and Russia’s over the next decade.

The White House never announced that Mr. Biden had approved the revised strategy, called the “Nuclear Employment Guidance,” which also newly seeks to prepare the United States for possible coordinated nuclear challenges from China, Russia and North Korea. The document, updated every four years or so, is so highly classified that there are no electronic copies, only a small number of hard copies distributed to a few national security officials and Pentagon commanders.

But in recent speeches, two senior administration officials were allowed to allude to the change — in carefully constrained, single sentences — ahead of a more detailed, unclassified notification to Congress expected before Mr. Biden leaves office.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'll be blunt: my agency and just about every other DoD entity has assessed that the United States and the PRC will be at war in 2027.

I’m assuming it starts with China trying to take Taiwan and not us fucking around?

1 minute ago, finaljedi said:

Taiwan going to boil over?

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I’m assuming it starts with China trying to take Taiwan and not us fucking around?

That's correct - 2027 is when we've assessed that the PRC will have the capability to launch a cross-strait invasion.

One of the directors of my office says that this is third stint at DARPA and the difference between this time and the others is that this agency is absolutely preparing for war.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Now only if we get our chip factories up in any reasonable time

One of the directors of my office says that this is third stint at DARPA and the difference between this time and the others is that this agency is absolutely preparing for war.

A DARPA office is very much aggressively investigating/pursuing various techniques to accelerate chip fabrication.

12 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I feel like we've been hearing the same alarms being raised for the last 15+ years of a Chinese war. Let's see if this time out of the dozens of others actually comes to pass.

What the assessments now take into account is a deteriorating domestic economic situation that will increase the pressure on Beijing's political leadership to commit to the invasion.

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

What the assessments now take into account is a deteriorating domestic economic situation that will increase the pressure on Beijing's political leadership to commit to the act.

What is the likelihood attributed to the conflict going nuclear?

42 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'll be blunt: my agency and just about every other DoD entity has assessed that the United States and the PRC will be at war in 2027.

Depends on who wins the election. If Trump wins, no way we go to war over Taiwan. 

On 8/20/2024 at 9:04 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

And this is where that date comes from:

WWW.DEFENSENEWS.COM

Some in defense circles say the U.S. needs to prepare for Beijing's invasion of Taiwan in 2027. China experts say it isn’t a deadline.

It's a yardstick for China. Not a date when they're invading.

Their military modernization is definitely proceeding at a wild pace. Their shipbuilding is far and away better than ours--truly churning destroyers and amphibious ships out like sausages. 

I don't buy that it's a foregone conclusion that we'll be in a war with China over Taiwan in 2027, or 2028, or 2029. So far, this 2027 talk has struck me as fearmongering. It's all up to China. But the impact is that our military is becoming more prepared. 

I appreciate the information from both Cayce and Wade because I am not privy to this kind of information, and it’s not my forte whatsoever. I guess my noob Takeaway is I hope nothing happens, but I guess I’m glad the US is trying not to be flat footed in case of the worst.

• Halal 1

24 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I appreciate the information from both Cayce and Wade because I am not privy to this kind of information, and it’s not my forte whatsoever. I guess my noob Takeaway is I hope nothing happens, but I guess I’m glad the US is trying not to be flat footed in case of the worst.

Maybe you should be better informed, as an extension of your weather forecasting.

"And Friday afternoon we should see scattered bombings along the coastal harbors, followed by precipitous kamikaze drone strikes further inland in and around airport regions by 10 PM. Temperature will be a comfortable 74 degrees."

• Haha 2
  • Sicko 1
  • Hype 1

7 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

2027 seems like its also the year when China's window to invade Taiwan closes as nations in the region have been building up their militaries and any later would be a suicide run on China's part.

"Window of opportunity" thinking could definitely force a decision by China. Particularly if NGAD and CCA (US Air Force and Navy's plans for a 6th generation heavy fighter and loyal wingman air combat drones) get off the ground, 

1 hour ago, Jwheel86 said:

spacer.png

New nightmare fuel that results in Harris ordering every Chinese cargo ship sunk on D +1.

I've mentioned this in other threads but if you don't think there are Chinese military capabilities in the US, whether they are cruise missiles in a cargo ship or drones on farms near airbases you have your head in the sand. We can't stop anything getting snuck into this country and everyone knows it.

24 minutes ago, elbobo said:

I've mentioned this in other threads but if you don't think there are Chinese military capabilities in the US, whether they are cruise missiles in a cargo ship or drones on farms near airbases you have your head in the sand. We can't stop anything getting snuck into this country and everyone knows it.

You can sneak anything into pretty much any nation, provided it's large enough. I would not expect China to be free of many, many foreign military assets ready to be deployed, either. There simply is not enough manpower nor sufficiently advanced technology to prevent such things.

3 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

spacer.png

New nightmare fuel that results in Harris ordering every Chinese cargo ship sunk on D +1.

This is taken straight from the plot of Ace Combat 7. 

While it's feasible, it's just a bit fantastical to actually believe. 

• True 1

Can we wait 5 years before we have a war or hostilities gets to the stage of Russia. I was hoping to take my daughters to China to see relatives (and also take them to Japan & Tokyo Disney) in 2-3ish years. :/

If China did anything brazen like putting drones near us airbases or missiles in cargo ships it would only be right before they started a war, otherwise risking being found out would ruin them. Turning every Chinese cargo ship into a target is a dumb idea when the US could sink them all in hours.