Update (09/06): 7-Eleven parent company rejects $38 billion takeover bid from Circle-K parent company

WWW.BBC.COM

Shares in the Japan-based convenience store chain's parent company rose by more than 20% on the news.

A Canadian convenience store giant has made a bid worth $38bn (£29.2bn) for the Japanese-owned 7-Eleven in what could be the country's record foreign takeover.

Circle K owner Alimentation Couche-Tard (ACT) made the approach for the chain - a staple across Asia and North America - on Monday.

ACT's footprint in the US and Canada would more than double to more than 20,000 sites if the deal goes ahead.

The offer of 5.6 trillion Japanese yen valued 7-Eleven at a fifth more than its pre-bid price on the Japanese stock market.

ACT said it had "submitted a friendly, non-binding proposal" to buy the retail chain but that there was no guarantee it would go ahead.

"The company is focused on reaching a mutually agreeable transaction that benefits both companies’ customers, employees, franchisees and shareholders," ACT said.

Meanwhile, Tokyo-based Seven & i Holdings, which owns 7-Eleven, said it has formed a special committee to consider the offer.

It said it had "received a confidential, non-binding and preliminary proposal by ACT to acquire all [of its] outstanding shares".

"[The] special committee intends to conduct a prompt, careful and comprehensive review of the proposal," it added.

If a deal is agreed it could face challenges from competition watchdogs in North America. The 7-Eleven chain runs more than 13,000 stores in the US and Canada, while Couche-Tard has more than 9,000.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Circle K makes $38 billion bid for 7-Eleven
1 minute ago, LazyPiranha said:

I hope this doesn’t mess with the plan of bringing some of those Japanese 711 staples stateside.  

Was about to post the same thing.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

Americans have no IDEA how badly Japanese food shits all over our so-called “food” like it’s not even a contest 

I got a package of seaweed as a snack for my girls one time from Kroger and it was awful. We usually get it from an Asian food store and that shit is the bomb

12 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There is one Circle K several miles away from me while there is a 7-11 almost anywhere you go. It's odd to think Circle K has more money.

The company is Couche-Tard, despite what the thread title says (Circle-K is one of their brands)

Couche-Tard's revenue is slightly over that of Seven & I (7-Eleven's holding company), but their profits are significantly higher.  I suspect it has to do with 7-Eleven's (mostly) franchising model (vs. Couche-Tard's ownership model).

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This reminds me of someone I saw in PSO2. Their bio just says: I AM FRENCH

Internet, so 49.5/49.5/1% chance. 

49.5% - is French

49.5% - isn't French

1% - Time raveling, shit poster Hitler strikes again!

• Shocked 1

20 hours ago, Reputator said:

7-Eleven is Japanese?

They are originally from Dallas but a Japanese company bought them. Im not sure if they are great in Japan because they are owned by a Japanese company or if they are owned by a Japanese company because they did so well in Japan.

The original one was across the street from my middle school and kids were always making their way over there.

23 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

They are originally from Dallas but a Japanese company bought them. Im not sure if they are great in Japan because they are owned by a Japanese company or if they are owned by a Japanese company because they did so well in Japan.

The original one was across the street from my middle school and kids were always making their way over there.

Japanese 7-11 is legendary! They have so many goodies.

Just now, SuperSpreader said:

We know this

7-11 all over Asia is a game changer. I've been to places in Indonesia where 7-11 is the only place to get hot food and beer (and clean water if you're a little bitch) for miles.

Next week I'll be staying somewhere in Bangkok where there's literally a 7-11 across the street from a 7-11

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1