For the first time in a long time, I’m giving up on a game

gamer.tv

I’m hoping there are more enlightened people than me, but generally, if I’ve bought a game, I’ll beat it. There are some exceptions, namely games that are too long or I don’t have the time to invest in them fully (Dark Souls as an example) where I’ve dropped off them and never gone back - but I’ve never shunned a game. Until now. I’ve been playing Dead Space off an on for the last 2 months and I just can’t get into it. The loop is boring, it doesn’t look amazing (enough), enemies are dull, gameplay is dull…it’s just not an overly interesting game. I’ve just been playing the tail end of Chapter 6 and keep thinking ‘Right, I’m past half way, if I keep pushing, I’ll be done soon’ - then to think ‘for what?’

So yeah, possibly for the first time in a long time, I’m going to put a game to the side purely as I’m having zero fun with it. 

I seldom shelf games I’m far that into.  Only when I realize the difficulty will be a pain and I’d rather put my mind to something else for a while. Returnal was that way for me.  Got 1/2 through to a natural pause point.  I’d like to come back, but I’ve since had a kid and life feels too stressful now to add that game back in right now.

I also tend to do this with spooky games I don’t finish by Halloween.  Maybe this year I try to wrap up Ghostbusters, Luigi’s Mansion 2, Returnal. 

6 hours ago, TheBladeRoden said:

I told a Nintendo Power phone pollster that I was going to finish Earthbound, but I never did. My 30 year shame. Actually I don't think I ever finished a turn-based RPG, unless you count KOTOR. There was always some boss I got forever stuck at.

Oh man, I’ve actually finished… 2% of the RPGs I’ve started? Either I get stuck on a boss, lose interest in the story, the gameplay gets too dull/repetitive, and/or it’s just too damn long. 

On one hand, the only way a person could come to such a base, crass and downright wrong opinion about Dead Space is if they were just walking around firing the assault rifle the whole game instead of the actual fun guns.

On the other hand, I'm all for dropping games the second they stop being fun.

Truly, the duality of man.

• True 1
  • Halal 1