What is an entry in a series that is often viewed as the worst, but is your favorite?

My kids are watching Back to the Future Part 3, which has been my favorite since childhood. I always enjoyed Westerns, so marrying a series I was really into with a genre I truly loved made it my favorite with ease.

Despite having better critical reviews, I believe the public consensus is that it is the worst of the three.

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

My kids are watching Back to the Future Part 3, which has been my favorite since childhood. I always enjoyed Westerns, so marrying a series I was really into with a genre I truly loved made it my favorite with ease.

Despite having better critical reviews, I believe the public consensus is that it is the worst of the three.

Better critical reviews than the rest of the films or the second? Cuz I ain't about to be gaslit on that. :p 

I personally think A Nightmare on Elm Street part 2 was the scariest entry in the series. Freddy looked the best in this one too. 

The consensus from fans it's the worst one and extremely homo erotic.

BTW, Back to the Future 2 is the best in the trilogy.

26 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Better critical reviews than the rest of the films or the second? Cuz I ain't about to be gaslit on that. :p 

Critics rated them 1, 3, 2. Normies seem to rate them 1, 2,,,,,,,,,,,,3

23 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Critics rated them 1, 3, 2. Normies seem to rate them 1, 2,,,,,,,,,,,,3

My guess is a lot of people just have more fun with the futuristic 2015 that Part II assembled for us than the western setting. :p 

I feel like I can name a bunch where I favor an entry over it's slightly more lauded counterpart. I prefer Star Wars over Empire, Godfather 1 over 2, Alien over Aliens, Fellowship over Return of the King. There are plenty more where I like individual entries more than most, but I can't think of any series where the consensus worst is my personal favorite.

27 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

The Last Jedi. Not my favorite but probably second favorite of all the Star Wars films.

I think TRoS, TPM, or AOTC are viewed as the worst.

But agreed, only I'd put it as my favorite. It's an amazing piece of filmmaking through and through and through.

9 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I think TRoS, TPM, or AOTC are viewed as the worst.

But agreed, only I'd put it as my favorite. It's an amazing piece of filmmaking through and through and through.

I think TRoS and AOTC could compete for most hated against TLJ, but the reaction to TLJ was like nothing I'd ever seen. Even with the prequels. Of course, social media and YouTube essays weren't a thing back then either. I think everybody agrees that TRoS is bad, so you don't see a lot of discussion and passionate opinions about it. Like TLJ already ruined it for them or something.

The one that comes closest to the topic premise to me is Escape from L.A. I saw it before Escape from New York so my expectations for the “franchise” were skewed by the time I saw the original. I also have a soft spot for Star Trek V because it’s one of the first “grown up” movies I have pretty solid memories of seeing in the theater.

I like The Dark Knight more than I like Batman Begins, but I think Batman Begins is an overall better and well-made movie. I feel the same way about The Empire Strikes Back and the original Star Wars.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The one that comes closest to the topic premise to me is Escape from L.A. I saw it before Escape from New York so my expectations for the “franchise” were skewed by the time I saw the original. I also have a soft spot for Star Trek V because it’s one of the first “grown up” movies I have pretty solid memories of seeing in the theater.

I like The Dark Knight more than I like Batman Begins, but I think Batman Begins is an overall better and well-made movie. I feel the same way about The Empire Strikes Back and the original Star Wars.

I think Batman Begins is a far superior movie compared to TDK. It just gets overshadowed by Heath Ledger

• True 1

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

We need more western talk here.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is obviously the best of that trilogy, but A Fistful of Dollars is also incredible and underrated. 

Oddly, the first From game that clicked hard for me was Dark Souls 2. I did got back and play it again after playing a lot of their other games, and I understand why it's not well liked, but it'll always have a special place for me. 

• Hugs 1

2 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

We need more western talk here.

I rarely see you post in the gaming section but have you ever played Red Dead Redemption 2? 

It's the best western in both story and characters. It's a masterpiece. 

5 hours ago, Best said:

I rarely see you post in the gaming section but have you ever played Red Dead Redemption 2? 

It's the best western in both story and characters. It's a masterpiece. 

I actually have it but haven't play it haha.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've only seen the first three X-Men movies, (X-Men, X2, and The Last Stand) but I disliked the first two and enjoyed the 3rd movie the most. It seems that the majority of people dislike that one.

:shrug:

I might have seen Last Stand once since the theatrical run, and it’s been a while. I remember it being pretty bad?

13 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I might have seen Last Stand once since the theatrical run, and it’s been a while. I remember it being pretty bad?

It's not as bad as people say it is, but it just doesn't reach the heights of the first two movies. The switch in director from Bryan Singer of the first two to Brett Ratner for the third one doesn't help, as well as the switch in screenwriters. The movie splits its time between an interesting "cure" for the mutants plotline and the "Dark Phoenix" storyline and it does the first plotline decently well but it doesn't do the Dark Phoenix story much justice. There's also too many characters and not enough characterization for the characters we already know. It also handles Cyclops really poorly. However, it is fun, has some good action scenes and Stewart and McKellen remain great. I think it's always worth watching if I rewatch the first two. It is, to me, definitely better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine, X-Men: Apocalypse and X-Men: Dark Phoenix (that's not saying much but still).

• Hype 1

16 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's not as bad as people say it is, but it just doesn't reach the heights of the first two movies. The switch in director from Bryan Singer of the first two to Brett Ratner for the third one doesn't help, as well as the switch in screenwriters. The movie splits its time between an interesting "cure" for the mutants plotline and the "Dark Phoenix" storyline and it does the first plotline decently well but it doesn't do the Dark Phoenix story much justice. There's also too many characters and not enough characterization for the characters we already know. It also handles Cyclops really poorly. However, it is fun, has some good action scenes and Stewart and McKellen remain great. I think it's always worth watching if I rewatch the first two. 

Of the original crop I think X2 is the only one I’ve rewatched in the last 10 years or so. My main memory of the first is it being literally too dark and feeling like it was a hedge between being being a “comic movie” and trying to carve out its own identity as a “real movie.” I like it fine, it just never rises to the level of nostalgia watch for whatever reason.

I’m also one of those weirdos that thinks that the Dark Phoenix Saga is overplayed. Like The Dark Knight Returns, I love it, but their impacts on their franchises and comics… enough already.

• True 1

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

Of the original crop I think X2 is the only one I’ve rewatched in the last 10 years or so. My main memory of the first is it being literally too dark and feeling like it was a hedge between being being a “comic movie” and trying to carve out its own identity as a “real movie.” I like it fine, it just never rises to the level of nostalgia watch for whatever reason.

I’m also one of those weirdos that thinks that the Dark Phoenix Saga is overplayed. Like The Dark Knight Returns, I love it, but their impacts on their franchises and comics… enough already.

If it's been that long since a rewatch I definitely recommend going back and doing a full rewatch of the original trilogy to see where you stand these days on them. I believe they're all in 4K now and you catch a lot of details you may have missed in the past. I completely agree though, let the Dark Phoenix storyline go, enough's enough already.

• stepee 1

15 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

If it's been that long since a rewatch I definitely recommend going back and doing a full rewatch of the original trilogy to see where you stand these days on them. I believe they're all in 4K now and you catch a lot of details you may have missed in the past. I completely agree though, let the Dark Phoenix storyline go, enough's enough already.

I recommend this too  but only if you agree with my opinion after you watch them.

• Haha 1

I die on the hill that Live Free or Die Hard is the second best of the five Die Hards behind the original.

I’ve got a soft spot for Alien Resurrection despite being the worst of the four Ripley Alien flicks since it was the first one I ever saw and the only one to see on the big screen. 

On a different scale, I’ve got Temple of Doom at the bottom of all five Indiana Jones movies: Willie Scott is THE WORST.

43 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

I die on the hill that Live Free or Die Hard is the second best of the five Die Hards behind the original.

On a different scale, I’ve got Temple of Doom at the bottom of all five Indiana Jones movies: Willie Scott is THE WORST.

I think Live Free is top 3… 2nd when I remember how tossed together the ending of Vengeance is.

I was annoyed more by Short Round.. but the combo of Willie and Short Round is the real problem… but that f’n ending when Indy arrives back with the kids is just good for this old farts soul. Crystal Skull doesnt bother me as much as it once did, its not the spfx as much as its lebeef that annoys (the monkey scene get lumped with him)

To continue on the “different scale” the Raimi Spiderman films get worse and worse as time goes on. Anything Spiderman, J Jonah and Osborne (Bonesaw too) is great but everything and everyone else is so dull lifeless and preachy… Tobey and Kirsten are having an anti charisma battle while Aunt May is monologuing in a corner

9 hours ago, MarSolo said:

I’ve got a soft spot for Alien Resurrection despite being the worst of the four Ripley Alien flicks since it was the first one I ever saw and the only one to see on the big screen. 

Temple of Doom is a legitimately terrible fucking movie. There's maybe 12 entertaining minutes throughout the whole affair.

8 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

I think Live Free is top 3… 2nd when I remember how tossed together the ending of Vengeance is.

I was annoyed more by Short Round.. but the combo of Willie and Short Round is the real problem… but that f’n ending when Indy arrives back with the kids is just good for this old farts soul. Crystal Skull doesnt bother me as much as it once did, its not the spfx as much as its lebeef that annoys (the monkey scene get lumped with him)

To continue on the “different scale” the Raimi Spiderman films get worse and worse as time goes on. Anything Spiderman, J Jonah and Osborne (Bonesaw too) is great but everything and everyone else is so dull lifeless and preachy… Tobey and Kirsten are having an anti charisma battle while Aunt May is monologuing in a corner

Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 are still some of the best superhero movies ever. I suppose they've aged in that superhero movies don't really attempt to do what those 2 specifically were doing but I think that's fine. They're earnest without constantly trying to make the protagonist cool in a way that I appreciate. 

32 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Return of the Jedi is the best Star Wars movie. 

fight me

As a kid I thought it was the best too. I was in love with the Ewoks and that entire environment it took place in. 

I got your Return of the Jedi hot take right here:

I prefer the Hayden force ghost over Sebastian Shaw. And I prefer the new music over Yubdubstep or whatever that song is called.

*tapes up fists, dips them in glass*

When I watched as a kid I had to have who the old guy was explained to me. As an adult, I looked at it as an example of “if I’m an orphan kid like Luke, odds are my memory of my dad would be a photograph possibly or in the case of Star Wars, some kind of hologram”.

Maybe Luke saw a hologram or two of his dad, left to Owen by Obi-Wan. So when Luke sees the force ghosts at the end watching him with pride, he sees his dad as he knew him based off those holograms.

The new Williams score at the end needs no explanation, it’s epic, it sounds like a true celebration of the fall of fascism in the galaxy.

1 hour ago, ihavebigtitties said:

Toy Story 4 is the best Toy Story.

I know some people, I think in large part millennials, weren't as high on 4 because they felt 3 was a perfect ending. But 4 was fantastic. I like all of them a lot.

I'm not even sure if Toy Story has a agreed upon worst one. Showed my fiancee the movies for the first time back in 2020 and she enjoyed all of them but thought 2 was the weakest, if she had to choose.