What is some odd thing that is associated with your city?

sblfilms

IMG-0954

Driving down the freeway and you see these regularly here in Houston. This is actually a kinda low key take on a “slab”, most are very bright colored and the wheel spikes can get CRAZY, in the neighborhood of 24” out.

They don’t only exist here, but they really rose to prominence in Houston due to the rap scene here. And it is a rare drive through the city when you don’t see at least one.

Pittsburgh is proudly the home of Anthrocon, the largest furry convention in the country (world?) Businesses downtown frequently cater to the crowd (including the hotels keeping extra pet bowls on hand), and every year they do a parade through the city.

2023+BlueHasia+Day+1-253.jpg

20220702mgFurriesParadeLOC16-16-16883898

DSC_7364.jpg

It absolutely rules and it's hilarious to see them out and about over the course of the weekend. There are some community scolds who hate anything that they don't understand, but otherwise they are welcomed with open arms - especially because they spend oodles and oodles of money (every hotel in Downtown more or less sells out when they announce the date for the next year).

Ithaca, NY used yellow bricks for its roads at the time the wizard of OZ was made.  One of Ithaca's claims to fame is that this inspired the the yellow brick road in that story. Also:

The first recorded use in the Oxford English Dictionary, from an advertisement in Ithaca, New York, April 5, 1892, spells the word "Sunday": "Evidence suggests that the use of Sunday to designate an ice-cream dish of this kind originates with Chester C. Platt (1869–1934), proprietor of Platt and Colt's Pharmacy in Ithaca, New York, who is said to have served it ... after the Sunday church service on 3 April 1892. 

Something odd in Lancaster Pennsylvania?

The Amish! They are disgusting people imo. I won't go into detail but incest is part of my disgust. 

On another note, the most noteworthy thing about Lancaster Pennsylvania is we have the largest buffet in the United States. 

It's called Shady Maple. 

Nothing? GR is basically every anchor city of small Midwestern Rustbelt metropolises. 

Tidbits:

First city in the US to add fluoride to its water! Doesn’t really have an impact on the modern day, but it’s a neat fact. 

also

At one time downtown Grand Rapids was home to a department store called Herpolsheimer’s that featured a kids’ train ride suspended from the ceiling.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Ithaca, NY used yellow bricks for its roads at the time the wizard of OZ was made.  One of Ithaca's claims to fame is that this inspired the the yellow brick road in that story.

San Diego also has a connection to the Wizard of Oz. Author L. Frank Baum spent months at a time at the Hotel Del Coronado while writing the Oz books. It’s speculated that the hotel served as inspiration for the emerald city.

• Halal 1

23 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I don't think I ever watched any MTV shows. Just TRL when I was a tween.

Oh, Daria. That was MTV, right? I did love that show.

I liked TRL a lot and I didn't really watch Daria. But yea, I did enjoy that stuff when I was younger. 

Rather than let it be captured after an extended siege, confederate leaders burned it to the ground. Every April there are (at least) Union reenactors who march into Richmond to commemorate the occasion. Marched right down the middle of Main Street one Saturday (the only time I can confirm this happening as I could see it from my apartment window)

We also had the first electric trolly in North America and was powered by fucking hydro power from the river that runs through downtown. Tore it all down, burned it (as is tradition), and sold the generator to some country in South America where it supposedly is still in service today. 

the joke is we have two and a half president buried in Hollywood Cemetery downtown but it’s really two presidents and a traitor. The traitor has a magnificent view of the city skyline and river below, better than both actual presidents who are from Virginia and not some Mississippi trash. 

MAPS.APP.GOO.GL

Lots of odd shit here but these are the unique things I go to when describing Richmond. 

There is an existing Roman wall surrounding the original ISCA (now Exeter) from around  200AD. There’s also a house built in 1450, that was moved and is still in use today. It’s called ‘The house that moved’. Lastly, the Ship which is the oldest pub in Exeter, from about the 15th century, which Francis Drake used to frequent. 

And Exeter Cathedral is pretty well known for the people buried there, legends around its use and the vaulting on the roof. 

On 8/16/2024 at 10:48 AM, Chris- said:

Pittsburgh is proudly the home of Anthrocon, the largest furry convention in the country (world?) Businesses downtown frequently cater to the crowd (including the hotels keeping extra pet bowls on hand), and every year they do a parade through the city.

2023+BlueHasia+Day+1-253.jpg

20220702mgFurriesParadeLOC16-16-16883898

DSC_7364.jpg

It absolutely rules and it's hilarious to see them out and about over the course of the weekend. There are some community scolds who hate anything that they don't understand, but otherwise they are welcomed with open arms - especially because they spend oodles and oodles of money (every hotel in Downtown more or less sells out when they announce the date for the next year).

I know furries are generally nice and all but oh god I can't imagine the smell. :sick:

Just now, Jason said:

I know furries are generally nice and all but oh god I can't imagine the smell. :sick:

Apparently most of the suits are tricked out with mini-cooling systems, they cost a lot of money. That travel vlogger Jenny Nicholson trashed one of the hotels on Twitter because she got bed bugs and the heat treatment ruined her suit.