Birthdays suck

Fizzzzle

You ever realize that birthdays are mostly just things that you have to do, not things you want to do? Like I would love to have a day off peace and quiet, but no. My dad and his girlfriend want to make me dinner, my best friend wants to have a BBQ, and I know I'm lucky to have people who care about me enough that they think that's what I want, but I'm like... Dude, what I want is to only be around people when I choose to be. As soon as I feel obligated to do stuff, it makes me immediately not want to do it, however nice the gesture

• stepee 1

I used to be somewhat similar in this regard after my mother died...My Dad is a good and caring man, so he did his best as 'Mr. Mom', but it was difficult through his grief and financial/health situations, so my birthdays were never particularly celebrated or noteworthy - and I eventually stopped caring about them. Then when I had my first office job almost all of my department colleagues (all older/middle-aged mothers) doted upon me during my birthday, and it made me feel really uncomfortable to be the center of attention; that feeling persisted even up until when I met my now-wife, who came from a family that treats birthday celebrations as sacrosanct.

So, I definitely see where you are coming from. But ultimately I think you should remember that you are, in essence, closing yourself off from love the people who are close to you are showing you. And there's no equity in choosing when others can love you.

• stepee 2
  • True 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

39 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I used to be somewhat similar in this regard after my mother died...My Dad is a good and caring man, so he did his best as 'Mr. Mom', but it was difficult through his grief and financial/health situations, so my birthdays were never particularly celebrated or noteworthy - and I eventually stopped caring about them. Then when I had my first office job almost all of my department colleagues (all older/middle-aged mothers) doted upon me during my birthday, and it made me feel really uncomfortable to be the center of attention; that feeling persisted even up until when I met my now-wife, who came from a family that treats birthday celebrations as sacrosanct.

So, I definitely see where you are coming from. But ultimately I think you should remember that you are, in essence, closing yourself off from love the people who are close to you are showing you. And there's no equity in choosing when others can love you.

That's why I said I know I'm lucky to have people who give enough of a shit about me to care about my birthday in the first place, but I'm like... It still feels like doing things other people want me to do

I do what I want for my birthday. Like this week, I was in Cancun with my wife and her sister and the sister’s husband. I had a lovely time, eating, drinking, swimming in the ocean, and shopping at the markets.

This weekend my mother will make me my favorite things that she cooks, and my favorite cake she bakes (she’s fantastic at both!).

The end of the month I’ll have some friends by to watch baseball, play yard games, and swim.

Nobody makes me do things I don’t want, but our family culture is one where we enjoy doing what the birthday person wants. My oldest brother doesn’t like get together as, but my mom still cooks what he wants and we just text him happy birthday 😂

14 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I do what I want for my birthday. Like this week, I was in Cancun with my wife and her sister and the sister’s husband. I had a lovely time, eating, drinking, swimming in the ocean, and shopping at the markets.

This weekend my mother will make me my favorite things that she cooks, and my favorite cake she bakes (she’s fantastic at both!).

The end of the month I’ll have some friends by to watch baseball, play yard games, and swim.

Nobody makes me do things I don’t want, but our family culture is one where we enjoy doing what the birthday person wants. My oldest brother doesn’t like get together as, but my mom still cooks what he wants and we just text him happy birthday 😂

These are my favorite humble brag posts you do on occasions. I love you. <3

• Hugs 1

21 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

You ever realize that birthdays are mostly just things that you have to do, not things you want to do? Like I would love to have a day off peace and quiet, but no. My dad and his girlfriend want to make me dinner, my best friend wants to have a BBQ, and I know I'm lucky to have people who care about me enough that they think that's what I want, but I'm like... Dude, what I want is to only be around people when I choose to be. As soon as I feel obligated to do stuff, it makes me immediately not want to do it, however nice the gesture

Happy belated birthday! Today is mine :nervous:

• Hugs 1