10 Good Games You'd Be Embarassed to Play Around Non Gamers

Except for @Phaseknox and maybe @Bacon :p

I don't agree with all of these for the reasons listed but man is this a funny vid

Spoiler

10. Tomb Raider Reboot

9. Yakuza Series

8. Stellar Blade

7. Dragon Crown

6. Life is Strange

5. Bayonetta

4. Xenoblade Chronicles 2

3. Metal Gear Solid 5

2. Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Vollyball

1. Final Fantasy X-2

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

10 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I don't get his problem with Tomb Raider.

"Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball" is a "good game"?

I don't get his problem with Tomb Raider either to be honest. Also he says DOA extreme Vollyball ISN'T a good game but he includes it in this list :shrug:

Trying to play just about any JRPG or even most Final Fantasy games around non gamers will have them thinking you're some kind of weirdo. New Tomb Raiders should be fine, she's still attractive but she's not falling out of her shirt the whole time. 

• Halal 1

When my fiancee watched me play Yakuza back in 2020, the cabaret game was something else. xD~~

To this day, she remembers the hand gestures the ladies make when they need a menu or drink or something like that. But you know, I actually had an easy time convincing her that it was a lot of fun to play!

• Sicko Sherman 1

33 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

When my fiancee watched me play Yakuza back in 2020, the cabaret game was something else. xD~~

To this day, she remembers the hand gestures the ladies make when they need a menu or drink or something like that. But you know, I actually had an easy time convincing her that it was a lot of fun to play!

You need to play Gaiden because it is a great game and they use real women now. My wife definitely questioned her life decisions. 

• True 1
  • Sicko 1

6 hours ago, Dodger said:

Trying to play just about any JRPG or even most Final Fantasy games around non gamers will have them thinking you're some kind of weirdo. New Tomb Raiders should be fine, she's still attractive but she's not falling out of her shirt the whole time. 

FF13 came out when I was like 21-23 years old. My friend/roommate at the time was a non-gamer recently graduated frat boy. The look on his face when he saw me playing it was indescribable. It was a mix of disappointed parent and bewilderment of guy who is being abducted by a UFO.

I think times have changed a bit and being a "nerd" is a lot more universally accepted

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

If this written by a Gen z-er who is afraid of sex? 

Yeah one of the more sexist, incel fueled videos from this guy. Makes me glad I never watched the previous videos.

Beautiful / provocatively dressed woman means you should be embarrassed. Then he goes against his own rules to include games that aren't good but fit the mold. FF X-2 is not a good game. I circle back around to that video I posted in the Stellar Blade thread that @Greatoneshere probably only watched. The men are doing the shaming in the name of women while the women are the ones sitting there saying, "oh so pretty."

• True 1

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah one of the more sexist, incel fueled videos from this guy. Makes me glad I never watched the previous videos.

Beautiful / provocatively dressed woman means you should be embarrassed. Then he goes against his own rules to include games that aren't good but fit the mold. FF X-2 is not a good game. I circle back around to that video I posted in the Stellar Blade thread that @Greatoneshere probably only watched. The men are doing the shaming in the name of women while the women are the ones sitting there saying, "oh so pretty."

Holy shit I just did a little dive into this fellow. Yeesh. 

14 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

The look on his face when he saw me playing it was indescribable. It was a mix of disappointed parent and bewilderment of guy who is being abducted by a UFO.

This is my favorite post this week. 

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

20 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

The yakuza series has a surprisingly large female fanbase in Japan (like nearly half).

Most of that lost is pretty dumb and feels like they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for content. I mean he’s basically just like “playing a game with female characters is embarrassing”. Which essentially just means playing video games as an adult is embarrassing. 

if he’s actually embarrassed that’s a him problem. lol But I don’t think he is. 

The truth is to a normal person ANY game you play is embarrassing. I remember talking to a lady at a bus station saying that Rock Band drums are good exercise and she laughed at me just because it was a video game, never mind not knowing anything about playing it.

I had a couple of shitty coworkers who asked if I played games and I said at the time DOTA, and maybe I gave the vaguest hint of what the game was. Well some time later the guy uses it as an insult but acting as if it was D&D I was playing or something. I'm fine with taking shit for playing DOTA but at least get your story straight if you want to use it as an insult.

On the flip side, where this thread is headed, I asked my mom what she thought about this song. She said the song sounded jazzy and didn't even mention the women 🤷‍♀️

• Hugs 1

41 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The truth is to a normal person ANY game you play is embarrassing.

This absolutely is NOT the truth. Gaming is so ubiquitous now that nobody is batting an eyelash at you playing "any"game. EVERYBODY games in some form or another nowadays... who do you think is playing all of those predatory mobile games? A lot of the people who play those games are boomers on their phones. I definitely disagree with this notion.

I also disagree with the notion that a lot of those games he listed are not cringy at the very least. I game around my family a lot when I'm home and I damn sure wouldn't want to be playing Stellar Blade or Dragon Crown around my mom,sisters and nieces :shrug: Shit my mother has a conniption when she sees me playing Mortal Kombat with the nephews.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

I agree with both of you to some extent. But at my last place of employment any time I'd mention I was playing a game I got interesting looks. I remember telling my boss I was playing RE4 Remake and he kinda made a snarky remark about it. 

So basically I'd pretended I wasn't a gamer around my co-workers because it was indeed frowned upon by most there. 

• True 1

Obviously the stigma is nowhere near what it was like when we were kids, but I wouldn’t say nobody bats an eye. I think type of game still matters too. Like if you’re playing madden nobody is gonna care, but if you’re in public playing persona or something you might get some people judging you. Obv you shouldn’t give a shit what they think but yes I think that stigma still exists in a lot of circles. 

• True 2

7 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Obviously the stigma is nowhere near what it was like when we were kids, but I wouldn’t say nobody bats an eye. I think type of game still matters too.

Just like any other form of entertainment. Subject matter matters. People may bat an eyelash based on WHAT you are playing but not necessarily that you're playing something period. I've been in the NYC area most of the Summer and caught the train into the city quite a few times and I was legit surprised by not only how many people I saw with Switches and Steamdecks but also the varied TYPES of people. All ages, races and genders. Gaming is quite mainstream now.

• True 1

The stigma was definitely higher when I was younger. I think it still exists to some extent, but I completely embrace being a gamer (and nerd) with confidence in my choice when I talk to people who clearly are not that way. I even push back and remark that they're missing out on a lot of good stuff. In general people will only continue to tease if you show that you're not confident about your choice -- it gives them an opening. When you switch it around and point out that maybe they're the ones who are being limiting it changes the calculus.

• Halal 1

28 minutes ago, legend said:

The stigma was definitely higher when I was younger. I think it still exists to some extent, but I completely embrace being a gamer (and nerd) with confidence in my choice when I talk to people who clearly are not that way. I even push back and remark that they're missing out on a lot of good stuff. In general people will only continue to tease if you show that you're not confident about your choice -- it gives them an opening. When you switch it around and point out that maybe they're the ones who are being limiting it changes the calculus.

I also do exactly this. Like many of us, I got into videogames at a very young age. I remember my dad playing Super Mario Bros. on the NES when it came out in the 1980's when I was very young and my gaming took off from there. And I got deep into anime very quickly in the nascent stages of anime in the US in the late 1990's/early 2000's and back then I was frequently an outcast because I was into those things heavily (as well as movies and TV) but I was always confident about being "weird" and into "weird" things from the perspectives of most everyone else.

In fact, given how big anime, games and things like D&D have become (didn't that D&D show just sell out Madison Square Garden?) I feel very vindicated that my instincts towards cool and interesting things was right because once society at large gave these things a chance, they saw what I saw. They were just stubborn assholes about it for awhile before giving it a chance. It feels weird sometimes, in a funny way, to see what I was once bullied over (sometimes viciously) as a kid and teen (and even in college, to a much smaller degree) now being mainstream. But I'm glad, that means to some degree people are becoming more accepting and less judge-y (I hope).

• stepee 2
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

If I was playing, let's say Stellar Blade or Yakuza (the hostess parts), and someone (family member, friend, whoever) walked by and saw something particularly risque and judged me for it or made some stupid comment or anything drawing attention to the risque stuff I'd question them a lot more than whatever embarrassment they're trying to make me feel. I'm an adult, grown man. I watch R-rated and NC-17 rated stuff with plenty of sex. I mean, I just watched Rebel Moon which has basically almost full frontal nudity sex scenes. If someone walked by and tried to make me embarrassed, I'd be like: "bro, it's sex, it's completely normal, why are you being weird?".

Then again, I've never understood peoples' aversion to nudity or sex on screen. So long as it's all adults watching or playing the game or whatever, what the fuck is the big deal? I think a person's aversion to these things says more about them than anything else. Sex and nudity are normal. Obviously, the depiction of women, etc. in media is a different thing altogether, but trying to embarrass someone after the fact because they're playing Stellar Blade or Dragon's Crown Pro? Yeah, that person is an asshole and weird, in the bad Trump/JD Vance way. GTFO of here with your puritanical 1950's values. It's 2024 man, we've moved on, one of the biggest shows for Gen Z'ers was Euphoria which has underage characters having a lot of weird and crazy sex. It's over, sex and nudity are normal, move on. WAP is an enormously popular song. Like, wtf is wrong with people trying to embarrass others over sex and nudity in the year of our lord 2024?

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

If I was playing, let's say Stellar Blade or Yakuza (the hostess parts), and someone (family member, friend, whoever) walked by and saw something particularly risque and judged me for it or made some stupid comment or anything drawing attention to the risque stuff I'd question them a lot more than whatever embarrassment they're trying to make me feel. I'm an adult, grown man. I watch R-rated and NC-17 rated stuff with plenty of sex. I mean, I just watched Rebel Moon which has basically almost full frontal nudity sex scenes. If someone walked by and tried to make me embarrassed, I'd be like: "bro, it's sex, it's completely normal, why are you being weird?".

Then again, I've never understood peoples' aversion to nudity or sex on screen. So long as it's all adults watching or playing the game or whatever, what the fuck is the big deal? I think a person's aversion to these things says more about them than anything else. Sex and nudity are normal. Obviously, the depiction of women, etc. in media is a different thing altogether, but trying to embarrass someone after the fact cause they're playing Stellar Blade or Dragon's Crown Pro? Yeah, that person is an asshole and weird, in the bad Trump/JD Vance way. GTFO of here with your puritanical 1950's values. It's 2024 man, we've moved on, one of the biggest shows for Gen Z'ers was Euphoria which has underage characters having a lot of weird and crazy sex. It's over, sex and nudity are normal, move on. WAP is an enormously popular song. Like, wtf is wrong with people trying to embarrass others over sex and nudity in the year of our lord 2024?

Dude, nothing about this Anime stuff is even CLOSE to a realistic dipiction of sex and nudity so stop trying to act like it is.  Often this stuff features very hyper sexualized images of "women" who look like they're pre-teens and it often caters to a very specific  fetish and mindset. I mean woman TOTALLY look like the characters in Dragon's Crown... that's not setting up an unrealistic expectation of what the female body is supposed to look like at all :| 

• Halal 1

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Dude, nothing about this Anime stuff is even CLOSE to a realistic dipiction of sex and nudity so stop trying to act like it is.  Often this stuff features very hyper sexualized images of "women" who look like they're pre-teens and it often caters to a very specific  fetish and mindset. I mean woman TOTALLY look like the characters in Dragon's Crown... that's not setting up an unrealistic expectation of what the female body is supposed to look like at all :| 

What? I just said in my post: obviously, the depiction of women, etc. in media is a different thing altogether, but trying to embarrass someone after the fact because they're playing Stellar Blade or Dragon's Crown Pro? You're talking about abnormal fetishes, etc. which I still wouldn't bat an eyelash at either. I don't kink shame. I'm not going to try and embarrass them if that's their thing. I might not like or agree with it but yeah. If they're a pedophile that's another thing altogether. 

Setting up unrealistic expectations is a completely different thing than someone after the fact it's been created watches or enjoys playing it. Why would I be embarrassing them about it? As I said, the depiction of women in media is something I have argued needs to change forever (see: Stellar Blade thread) but that's not what we're talking about here. Don't conflate different things. You want to kink shame and embarrass people like @Keyser_Sozebecause the character designs and covers of some of the anime he watches are what you're referring to? In fact, some anime subverts these standard tropes, which I watch, am I some weirdo for watching genuinely good anime or art because of that barrier of weird sex and nudity? Sounds very judge-y to me. Me and my friends are actually literally playing Dragon's Crown Pro on our PS5's and we're all adults, some of us married, no one cares and it doesn't create unrealistic expectations. I just said in my other post, also: so long as it's all adults watching or playing the game or whatever, obviously kids shouldn't be playing Stellar Blade or Dragon's Crown Pro, duh. We're not talking about impressionable kids here creating unrealistic expectations for the first time. I reiterated throughout my post that we're talking about adults here.

41 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

In fact, given how big anime, games and things like D&D have become (didn't that D&D show just sell out Madison Square Garden?) I feel very vindicated that my instincts towards cool and interesting things was right because once society at large gave these things a chance, they saw what I saw. They were just stubborn assholes about it for awhile before giving it a chance. It feels weird sometimes, in a funny way, to see what I was once bullied over (sometimes viciously) as a kid and teen (and even in college, to a much smaller degree) now being mainstream. But I'm glad, that means to some degree people are becoming more accepting and less judge-y (I hope).

Yeah, nerds are often proven right after enough time. Same thing with LotR taking off in the movies 20 years ago, and the rise of comic book movies.

Or even away from entertainment, I was dreaming about the day we'd have smart phones long before they existed as a kid. That sounded ridiculous to people back then, but today, those same people (including boomers) can't peel themselves off it, whereas I have much more restraint despite being the one who was dreaming about them.

• stepee 1