Update (08/19): Indiana Jones & the Great Circle will release in December 2024 for Xbox/PC, 1H 2025 for PS5

Insider Gaming says that it's Forza Horizon 5:

INSIDER-GAMING.COM

According to multiple teases, the next Xbox console-exclusive game could be making its way to PlayStation as early as next week.

Another Xbox console exclusive appears to be set to come to PlayStation soon. According to multiple claims, the next Xbox game will be announced for PlayStation 5 next week.

First, in response to a question on ResetEra about when the next ports to PlayStation would be coming, Shinobi replied, “What are you doing next week?”. He then followed up another question about multiple games coming with, “[I don’t know] about multiple [games]. But a big one at least.”

After that surfaced, eXtas1s posted a simple tease of a GIF that said “Feliz Cinco de Mayo”.

Based on that tease alone, it could be assumed that the game being announced will be Forza Horizon 5. For what it’s worth, Insider Gaming has heard similar of Forza Horizon 5 coming to PlayStation. However, we haven’t been able to confirm when that could happen.

Jez Corden says it isn't.

RE: rumor of another Xbox to PlayStation port, I could see it happening some day, but this time round it ain't Forza being announced next week at least. 

(idk what it is though rn, investigating)

Guess we'll find out at Gamescom Opening Night Live!

1 hour ago, Air_Delivery said:

What is the point of the Xbox anymore? Gamepass?

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's pretty much the primary reason to own one at this point.

Depends if you think paying an extra $96 a year is worth it for Games Pass on a console instead of PC.

Per NatetheHate:

MachineGames' Indiana Jones and the Great Circle will release on Xbox & PC this holiday (Dec) as a timed console exclusive.

After this timed-exclusive window expires, Indiana Jones & the Great Circle is planned to come to PlayStation 5 in the first half of 2025.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update (08/19): Indiana Jones & the Great Circle will release in December 2024 for Xbox/PC, 1H 2025 for PS5

"But I don't want to create a false expectation on those other platforms that this is somehow the first four to get over the dam and then the dam's going to open and that everything else is coming, that's not the plan today." - Phil, when asked about Indiana Jones in February

vKijYIb.jpeg

• Sicko Sherman 1

I would imagine that the Xbox division would have wanted more than 6 months.  Disney or Microsoft higher ups might have felt differently.  I feel we’ll get a better idea as more games make the jump. 

Even Rise of the Tomb Raider got a year back in the day, and that wasn’t even their game.

TZlBd6A.jpeg

Phil’s not even trying to be coy about it anymore.  They learned and are putting those learnings into practice.  He even admits to the rest of Microsoft pressuring them in the clip.

This interview is a watershed moment for Microsoft, and the larger industry potentially, IMO.  One of the console manufactures has said, in essence, that exclusivity as we know it is dead.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

TZlBd6A.jpeg

Phil’s not even trying to be coy about it anymore.  They learned and are putting those learnings into practice.  He even admits to the rest of Microsoft pressuring them in the clip.

This interview is a watershed moment for Microsoft, and the larger industry potentially, IMO.  One of the console manufactures has said, in essence, that exclusivity as we know it is dead.

They haven't delivered on any of their commitments to the corporation.  They need to pivot.  However, I still can't make sense of their new strategy.

17 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

They haven't delivered on any of their commitments to the corporation.  They need to pivot.  However, I still can't make sense of their new strategy.

I'd imagine that the strategy "makes sense" when analyzed within the context of their internal data.

At least, I'd hope that's the case.

12 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'd imagine that the strategy "makes sense" when analyzed within the context of their internal data.

I don't think they've had a strategy since the X360 that "made sense".  So, it could just be me.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This is doubling down on Games Pass as the main driver for their console business, when we’ve already seen that it doesn’t grow their market share at a more budget friendly price point.

There’s only two things I can think of that could change the calculus.  Call of Duty on Games Pass doing gangbusters for them, on console specifically.  Or they get on a different hardware release schedule than Sony, and succeed at flipping the script for a generation like the 360 did.  Without exclusives, somehow.

It puts immense pressure on their hardware team, and/or for them not to squander their opportunity with CoD.  This all would be much easier if they pulled a bait and switch and made CoD a timed Xbox exclusive.

Jason Schreier's piece:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2024-08-23/xbox-s-exclusive-video-game-strategy-leaves-everyone-confused

Even within a single label, the company’s choices are inconsistent. Take Bethesda, which Microsoft acquired in 2020. Three games from the publisher have inexplicably different rollout plans. Last year’s Starfield was released only on Xbox and PC, with no PlayStation version in sight. Indiana Jones will be a “timed exclusive,” coming to PlayStation a few months after its initial release. But the upcoming DOOM: The Dark Ages, scheduled for 2025, will release simultaneously on Xbox, PC and Playstation.

Obsidian, the well-regarded game maker that was purchased by Microsoft in 2019, recently put out PlayStation versions of two games, Pentiment and Grounded. Yet its next game, Avowed, is scheduled to come out in February 2025 on just PC and Xbox, with no announced PlayStation release.

These rollouts make little sense. Perhaps the company is still trying to straddle the line between reaching as many players as possible and burning fans who bought Xbox hardware under the belief that they would not be able to get those games elsewhere. But this sporadic, case-by-case strategy benefits nobody and baffles everyone.

He also advocates for Microsoft dropping exclusives altogether and making future Xbox's open:

In 2017, I wrote on Twitter that Xbox had clearly lost the hardware war to PlayStation and should consider transforming its consoles into living room PCs with open operating systems that could run any computer game. As the company behind the Windows operating system, Microsoft is in a unique position to sell machines that combine the convenience and affordability of consoles with the flexibility of PCs.

Dumb idea, IMO, when people will clamor for Steam this and that on the device.  I also don't think they can stick with their 'online play is something you pay for' stance if other storefronts on the device offer it free.  Or their differing Console/PC Games Pass tiers.