Starbucks replaces its CEO with the CEO of Chipotle effective immediately

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Narasimhan

WWW.CNBC.COM

After several quarters of weak sales, Starbucks has tapped Chipotle CEO Brian Niccol as Laxman Narasimhan's replacement.

Starbucks announced Tuesday it’s replacing CEO Laxman Narasimhan with Chipotle CEO Brian Niccol, sending its stock soaring more than 20%, on pace for its best day since its initial public offering debut in 1992.

Chipotle’s stock fell over 10% on the news that Niccol would leave after a successful tenure at the burrito chain.

Narasimhan’s departure is effective immediately. Starbucks CFO Rachel Ruggeri will step in as interim chief executive until Sept. 9, when Niccol officially assumes the top job.

Narasimhan took over as chief executive in March 2023. The coffee giant’s performance has struggled this year, hurt by weak sales in the U.S. and China, its two largest markets. In its latest quarter, Starbucks reported a 3% decline in same-store sales.

Pressure on the company mounted as it struggled to drive traffic to stores. Former CEO Howard Schultz, who handpicked Narasimhan as his successor, had written an open letter in May, weighing in on the company’s issues and offering advice but never addressing Narasimhan by name.

Activist investor Elliott Management had acquired a stake in the company in recent weeks.

I can't understand the popularity of Chipotle. At least back in the day Subway had those $5 footlongs and some pedophile telling you how eating there helped him lose weight. Chipotle has just always been a rip off. 

Just now, Dodger said:

I can't understand the popularity of Chipotle. At least back in the day Subway had those $5 footlongs and some pedophile telling you how eating there helped him lose weight. Chipotle has just always been a rip off. 

Sometimes it’s a pedophile serving your guacamole! 

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Fancy Taco Bell

Yeah but Taco Bell is just different and everyone understands that nothing at Taco Bell is actually good for you. But I guess since people can pretend Chipotle is somewhat healthy that must be it. 

It bums me out that there are so many Chipotles and barely any Qdobas any more in Philly. There’s like THREE around me to the TWENTY Chipotles.

Qdoba actually gives you a shit ton of chips, their guac and queso are free, and their burritos usually have some bulk to them.

23 minutes ago, Dodger said:

In my undergrad days we had a Chipotle right near campus. It could be nostalgia but I swear to god it not only tasted amazing but even my early 20s self had difficulty finishing a full burrito. 

Now, I still like Chipotle, but I would say 50 percent of the time or more the portions are all fucked up and generally it just doesn't taste near as good as it used to. People complain about lower portions, but for me it's more about the ratios of shit they get wrong. Their employees give absolutely zero fucks about what they're doing. There's no thought that someone is going to eat what they're putting together, they just shovel random portions of each ingredient on there and move on to the next thing. 

At the one close to my place I have had to stop ordering ahead, cause I'll go in there and I swear to god unless you're starting at the beginning of the line where they have no choice but to ask you what you'd like, they don't even make eye contact with you at the register or acknowledge you're there. Usually you have to catch one of them and actively annoy them with an "excuse me" before they'll give you your order. I felt like I was losing my mind so I just never order ahead. Come to think of it I guess I just rarely go anymore period, they've soured me in general. 

It's quite something. I feel like they really had something going and seems like they went out of their way to piss people off. 

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

It bums me out that there are so many Chipotles and barely any Qdobas any more in Philly. There’s like THREE around me to the TWENTY Chipotles.

Qdoba actually gives you a shit ton of chips, their guac and queso are free, and their burritos usually have some bulk to them.

We almost have a CVS vs Walgreens thing going on with Chipotle and Qdobas here lol. You're right, I usually veer toward the Qdoba if I have both options. 

11 minutes ago, stepee said:

The fajita veggies are pepper and onion.

I dunno. It's just weird to hear someone go to a Mexican restaurant and say, "there's no vegetables!"

But the veggies at a Mexican restaurant are like salsa fresca, or if you get fajita stuff with green onions and stuff which are usually ingredients in the thing. :p

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I dunno. It's just weird to hear someone go to a Mexican restaurant and say, "there's no vegetables!"

But the veggies at a Mexican restaurant are like salsa fresca, or if you get fajita stuff with green onions and stuff which are usually ingredients in the thing. :p

I mean, lettuce and tomato are also used in various dishes. And guacamole kinda. Broccoli also sometimes. 

• True 1

Could have fooled me. My Starbucks always has a huge line in the drive-thru and the place is always packed inside. 

I can't comment on Chipotle because I only ate there once about 10 years ago. 

Funny about the vegetable talk with Mexican food since a vegetable focus is what differentiates Mexican cuisine from Tex Mex. Mexican has more emphasis on vegetables and highlights stuff like squash, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, tomatillos, avocados, nopales, etc. Tex Mex is all about highlighting meat and dairy given the prevalence of cattle raising in northern Mexico and Texas. Both are good. Just different! 

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

In regards to Starbucks, my friend used to bust my chops when he used to walk by the one on 16th and Chestnut and see me working there on my laptop doing art work. He always asked why I never went to local coffee shops instead and I said I would if they stayed open past 4 or 5 since I don’t get off from my side job until 4, while Starbucks are usually open till 8 post pandemic.

Pre-pandemic a lot of locations used to be open till 10 or midnight depending on location.

6 minutes ago, Comet said:

Funny about the vegetable talk with Mexican food since a vegetable focus is what differentiates Mexican cuisine from Tex Mex. Mexican has more emphasis on vegetables and highlights stuff like squash, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, tomatillos, avocados, nopales, etc. Tex Mex is all about highlighting meat and dairy given the prevalence of cattle raising in northern Mexico and Texas. Both are good. Just different! 

Regiomontanos rise up!

It's true, before the Spanish arrived indigenous people (they were not "Mexican") ate mostly veggies, if they ate meats it was bugs & animals like turkey. Something we don't really associate with modern cooking in the area.

5 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Regiomontanos rise up!

It's true, before the Spanish arrived indigenous people (they were not "Mexican") ate mostly veggies, if they ate meats it was bugs & animals like turkey. Something we don't really associate with modern cooking in the area.

Hey it’s what got them to come up with mole 👌

• stepee 1
  • Hugs 1

I realize there is a difference but it's not really a distinction that needs to be made in a thread about Chipotle. Most Mexican places are "tex-mex" which Chipotle is going for.

If you want actual Mexican food you need to know a Mexican. Like a place I worked at had a nice lady who said I looked like her son and she'd bring food in for me, and made cactus and all this stuff.

Starbucks is probably in deep shit long-term, because after the pandemic they pivoted away from their 'third place' positioning with exceptional speed, and without that differentiation I don't know how they stack up (especially since Dunkin' is getting better with their digital experience).

• Halal 1

8 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Starbucks is probably in deep shit long-term, because after the pandemic they pivoted away from their 'third place' positioning with exceptional speed, and without that differentiation I don't know how they stack up (especially since Dunkin' is getting better with their digital experience).

Starbucks's pivot to practically catering exclusively to mobile app users essentially ruined the in-store ordering experience for me to the extent that I just stopped going to the chain completely.

I always get the bowl at Chipotle and for the price I can’t complain. I get 2 meals out of it because they jam so much in there. I’ve never been a coffee person  so Starbucks is basically foreign to me. My wife swore off Starbucks 2 months ago. The last time she went it was over $7 for a chia tea latte and she had that wake up moment of why the hell am I paying this much for a drink? Now I get to make chia tea latte’s at home for her haha. Had a recipe down perfect after 3 days.