Americans' refusal to keep paying higher prices may be dealing a final blow to US inflation spike

APNEWS.COM

The great inflation spike of the past three years is nearly spent — and economists credit American consumers for helping slay it.

The great inflation spike of the past three years is nearly spent — and economists credit American consumers for helping slay it.

Some of America’s largest companies, from Amazon to Disney to Yum Brands, say their customers are increasingly seeking cheaper alternative products and services, searching for bargains or just avoiding items they deem too expensive. Consumers aren’t cutting back enough to cause an economic downturn. Rather, economists say, they appear to be returning to pre-pandemic norms, when most companies felt they couldn’t raise prices very much without losing business.

A more price-sensitive consumer helps explain why inflation has appeared to be steadily falling toward the Federal Reserve’s 2% target

The reluctance of consumers to keep paying more has forced companies to slow their price increases — or even to cut them. The result is a cooling of inflation pressures.

And [the New York Fed] expect inflation to average just 2.3% over the next three years, the survey found, the lowest such figure since the survey began in 2013.

• stepee 1

Switching from name brand to store brand groceries can literally cut your food bill for these items to nearly in half. I can't really taste the difference between $3 Greek yogurt and $6 Greek yogurt since I'll be adding fruit or other things to it. Heck I like Meijer brand cottage cheese over daisy. The only exception is maybe peanut butter. I'm a jiff natural whore even if it has palm oil in it. 

I don't eat out much at all, and pretty much cook all my meals from scratch these days outside of a few ingredients. 

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Here come the NYT articles about how "there's too many people, actually" and we need to thin the herd so the leftovers will be less poor and can spend more.

Works for me. One less asshole in the left lane.

11 hours ago, Reputator said:

You know, I'm pretty sure I got like a D in high school economics, and I could have told any of these idiot companies that higher prices result in lower demand.

They probably assumed that cuz number go up, consumers must have the extra cash laying around to spend $6 on a bag of chips. Capitalists have absolutely no idea how poor the average American is.

12 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

My not renewing Playstation Plus was the final push that did it, actually.

I try to load 1-2 years when it goes on sale around Black Friday (usually 25-33% off). If it doesn’t go on sale anymore I’d probably let it expire tbh

27 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

spacer.png

When an ad came up on prime that said "this program is presented ad free AFTER this advertisement" I felt completely justified in all the pirating I have done and will do in the future

Speaking of inflation...

WWW.CNBC.COM

The producer price index for July was expected to increase 0.2%, according to the Dow Jones consensus estimate.

A key measure of wholesale inflation rose less than expected in July, opening the door further for the Federal Reserve to start lowering interest rates.

The producer price index, which measures selling prices that producers get for goods and services, increased 0.1% on the month, the Labor Department’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Tuesday. Excluding volatile food and energy components, core PPI was flat.

Economists surveyed by Dow Jones had been looking for an increase of 0.2% on both the all-items and the core readings.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

spacer.png

Pretty much, I went like about 20 years without downloading much of anything.  But last year it was the one-two punch of jacking up the price and telling me I had to pay more still to have my mother on my account.  I set up a Plex server and told her to let me know if there's something she wants and it'll be on there the next day.  The cheap no log VPN keeps copyright notices away.

5 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Just got my car insurance renewal, this shit is getting ridiculous. Almost up to 4k a year for two cars that aren't fancy and nothing on the record for over a decade. 

Mine went from 1440 -> 2280 in one year. No accidents or tickets or anything. Ridiculous. 2008 Ford Ranger. 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe.

• Shocked 1

Just got my car insurance renewal, this shit is getting ridiculous. Almost up to 4k a year for two cars that aren't fancy and nothing on the record for over a decade. 

Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

Mine went from 1440 -> 2280 in one year. No accidents or tickets or anything. Ridiculous. 2008 Ford Ranger. 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe.

Yea, mine went up about 70-80% in the past year despite 0 accidents/tickets/whatever.

2 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

What the hell?  My car insurance is 918 a year, full coverage on a 2019 Mazda 3, just me.  I've had the same policy from Progressive for like 17 years with no claims and only one ticket in that time though

Damn where the fuck do you live. I have a 2022 Honda CIvic with just over 7000 miles on it because I don't drive and a 2019 Dodge Journey base model that does have a 100k miles on it because that does get driven, two 41 year old drivers with clean records and I live an hour outside Phoenix, and I have Progressive. Now I gotta start figuring out if its worth it to keep "full coverage" on the Dodge. Its just nuts. 

• Hugs 1

Damn where the fuck do you live. I have a 2022 Honda CIvic with just over 7000 miles on it because I don't drive and a 2019 Dodge Journey base model that does have a 100k miles on it because that does get driven, two 41 year old drivers with clean records and I live an hour outside Phoenix, and I have Progressive. Now I gotta start figuring out if its worth it to keep "full coverage" on the Dodge. Its just nuts. 

The stretch of nothing between Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio

My cars went up 35% (2020 Tiguan and 2009 A4) and house stayed the same (Liberty Mutual) in North NJ. We started to shop and will probably move to NJM based on the quote we just got. We used to insurance shop every 2 years but with the pandemic and a kid, we didn’t have the time. Crazy how expensive insurance is. No claims or tickets. 

17 hours ago, Ominous said:

Switching from name brand to store brand groceries can literally cut your food bill for these items to nearly in half. I can't really taste the difference between $3 Greek yogurt and $6 Greek yogurt since I'll be adding fruit or other things to it. Heck I like Meijer brand cottage cheese over daisy. The only exception is maybe peanut butter. I'm a jiff natural whore even if it has palm oil in it. 

I don't eat out much at all, and pretty much cook all my meals from scratch these days outside of a few ingredients. 

Would think it’s the same stateside but a lot of name brands are behind the store brand products. In Canada for example at Walmart the great values:

ice cream - Chapman’s

chips - humpty dumpty

bread - dempsters 

Although I agree that some name brand do taste better. Although I guess it also depends on what store you shop at, and who covers what

18 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

No you don't get it, we should get to turn the price knob up forever!

turning a big dial taht says "Prices" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

• True 1