Taking a trip to Montréal. Could use some recommendations

Brick

GF and I want to go to Montréal at the end of the month. I've never been so I'm looking forward to it, but want to plan on stuff to do. Has anyone here been and give some tips and recommendations on what to see and do? Restaurants in particular since I hear the food scene in Montréal is great. We are definitely also taking a hike up the mountain. 

I live in Montreal. What kind of food are you interested in? Besides Mount Royal, there's the Lachine Canal and the Old Port (the Science Museum in the Old Port is nice). There's a bunch of parks and museums around the Olympic Stadium such as the Biodome. Parc Jean Drapeau often has festivals. It also has paths to walk around and La Ronde (Six Flags amusement park). If the weather sucks you can explorer the underground city (you can walk pretty far without going outside). You can get a transit pass that covers metro, bus and commuter trains for the whole island, just have to be careful if you leave the island. You can also get a Bixi pass if you prefer to cycle.

1 hour ago, dualhunter said:

I live in Montreal. What kind of food are you interested in? Besides Mount Royal, there's the Lachine Canal and the Old Port (the Science Museum in the Old Port is nice). There's a bunch of parks and museums around the Olympic Stadium such as the Biodome. Parc Jean Drapeau often has festivals. It also has paths to walk around and La Ronde (Six Flags amusement park). If the weather sucks you can explorer the underground city (you can walk pretty far without going outside). You can get a transit pass that covers metro, bus and commuter trains for the whole island, just have to be careful if you leave the island. You can also get a Bixi pass if you prefer to cycle.

Tell him about the debauchery

6 hours ago, Brick said:

I like debauchery :devil:

Montreal probably has the most debauched strip clubs in the entirety of North America.

Also, it became the first city in Canada to allow bars to remain open for 24 hours.

WWW.BBC.COM

Montreal is planning to allow bars and clubs to stay open all night, but opinions are mixed.
  • Sicko 1

Try smoked meat and/or a poutine. If you want pizza, Bevo in the Old Port is really good. If you want to wonder what went wrong with @Commissar SFLUFAN go to TNT Palace (Trinidad food) and get some chicken stew (NOT boiled, NOT charcoal either), a goat doubles with pepper (hot sauce), and a Solo (I like the mango one).

• Sicko Sherman 1

2 minutes ago, dualhunter said:

Try smoked meat and/or a poutine. If you want pizza, Bevo in the Old Port is really good. If you want to wonder what went wrong with @Commissar SFLUFAN go to TNT Palace (Trinidad food) and get some chicken stew (NOT boiled, NOT charcoal either), a goat doubles with pepper (hot sauce), and a Solo (I like the mango one).

Speaking as a Trinidadian, I'd like to endorse this post wholeheartedly, especially the brown stew chicken and the goat doubles with pepper sauce.  My only difference of opinion would be to get the Solo Kola Champagne instead.

• Shocked 1

I was travelling for work to Montreal a fair bit over the past few years.

1)  I found the poutine in Montreal to be largely unremarkable if you've had  decent poutine in Ontario.  [The people in Montreal will tell you that it is somehow better there, but poutine isn't exactly complicated to make.]

2)  Lots of great restaurants around Montreal -- and they're mostly cheaper than the GTA.

3)  I found the restaurants/bars around old Montreal to mostly be hit or miss -- but were more expensive than the rest of the city.

4)  If you're looking for a patio to chill outside with a beer.  Messorem and Terrasse St-Ambroise fit the bill.  I've spent many evenings getting drunk at Terrasse St-Ambroise.

5)  I went to L'Oeufier (the one in Lachine) and the breakfast "poutine" was awesome.   (If you're not into Hollandaise, I wouldn't bother though)

6)  Really enjoyed a meal at Gaspar Brasserie Française in the old port area

7)  The pizza at smaller places is pretty good in Montreal, but not necessarily any different from a good pizzeria anywhere else.

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Montreal probably has the most debauched strip clubs in the entirety of North America.

How so? I mean I very much doubt I'll be taking my girlfriend to a strip club with me, so now you have me curious as to what makes them so notorious. 

• Sicko 1

7 minutes ago, Brick said:

How so? I mean I very much doubt I'll be taking my girlfriend to a strip club with me, so now you have me curious as to what makes them so notorious. 

I'm sure you can readily obtain that information using the power of the internet :p

• Sicko 1

Usually something good going on at the Old Port. I haven't been there in a few years but every year I've been there's cargo ships or containers turned into giant escape rooms and such. Ferris wheel and zip-line there too, I think? It's a nice place for lunch.

• Hugs 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm leaving Monday morning for four days! 

Also I asked my coworker who's been to Montréal, and he confirmed that given enough money the strippers will fuck you, so there's that. Not that I'd be interested anyway even if I was single, but yeah. Interesting. 

• Sicko Sherman 1

3 hours ago, Brick said:

Also I asked my coworker who's been to Montréal, and he confirmed that given enough money the strippers will fuck you, so there's that. Not that I'd be interested anyway even if I was single, but yeah. Interesting. 

TBF same thing at the strip clubs in Atlantic City NJ,

and no I did not. 

@Brick I just saw this thread! My wife and I were in Montreal in April and loved it. Very beautiful, even just for walking around Old Montreal. Others have covered most things, but the additional restaurant I'd recommend is Green Spot. Good smoked meat sandwiches and poutine, but less touristy than Schwartz's. We also liked a BBQ place (American-style brisket, etc) on the waterfront called Lattuca. Might want to book a few days in advance, for that one.

Our least-favourite thing was the Science Centre. Strangely, it was worse than the one in Regina. 

• Thanks 1

We're here and our hotel is actually pretty close to Lattuca as we just walked by it funnily enough! They are closed Mondays and Tuesdays, however, but we'll see if we can get in Wednesday. 

• stepee 1
  • Hype 1

On 8/9/2024 at 9:58 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Speaking as a Trinidadian, I'd like to endorse this post wholeheartedly, especially the brown stew chicken and the goat doubles with pepper sauce.  My only difference of opinion would be to get the Solo Kola Champagne instead.

I wasn't aware of that & that's cool AF! Happen to have any recipes worth sharing that are either hot & flavorful AF or even some good old childhood comfort type food memories you may have managed to recreate?

On 8/24/2024 at 2:50 PM, Brick said:

Hey, can always get one for tour girl if she's open that way! 😂 Seriously though, hope you've had a remarkable, memory filled week together ❤️ 

I'd say share photos, but to be fair, I myself haven't a clue how to share my own pix onto this space so I wouldn't wanna recommend that which I have no knowledge of!