What's cookin?

Chris-

OQcW6tg.jpeg

Lemon chicken orzo with broccoli, courtesy of NYT Cooking. It was extremely good, though I should have added a little more thyme. All-in-all I'd give it 8.5/10, it was really good - the broccoli stole the show.

• stepee 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Hype 1

I bought a Traeger grill a couple months ago and I’ve been doing some awesome stuff. I did my first brisket a couple weeks ago and had friends over. It turned out damn good. 

Also done lamb chops with a chimichurri sauce, baby back ribs, country style pork ribs, etc. 

Honestly love cooking and trying out new recipes. 

• stepee 1

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I bought a Traeger grill a couple months ago and I’ve been doing some awesome stuff. I did my first brisket a couple weeks ago and had friends over. It turned out damn good. 

Also done lamb chops with a chimichurri sauce, baby back ribs, country style pork ribs, etc. 

Honestly love cooking and trying out new recipes. 

Drop the pics

• 2 weeks later...

btH21fN.jpeg

JYKb5re.jpeg

Maple bacon baozi from ‘Let’s Make Dumplings’, a comic book cookbook. They were extremely good - the filling (bacon, egg, maple syrup, green onion) was phenomenal, and the dough was perfect - nice and soft, with a good sponge. My ability to properly crimp and fold is comically bad, though to be fair it was my first time ever doing it. All in all a solid 9/10 flavor/texture-wise. 

• stepee 2
  • Halal 1
  • Hype 1

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

btH21fN.jpeg

JYKb5re.jpeg

Maple bacon baozi from ‘Let’s Make Dumplings’, a comic book cookbook. They were extremely good - the filling (bacon, egg, maple syrup, green onion) was phenomenal, and the dough was perfect - nice and soft, with a good sponge. My ability to properly crimp and fold is comically bad, though to be fair it was my first time ever doing it. All in all a solid 9/10 flavor/texture-wise. 

That looks and sounds delicious. 😋 

On 8/18/2024 at 1:17 PM, Chris- said:

btH21fN.jpeg

JYKb5re.jpeg

Bro made dumplings! Impressive work!

qF2oTfb.jpeg

Flavor-wise these were an 11/10, the absolute dankest southern fried chicken you’ve ever had. Texture was a 9/10…the skin had all the best elements of fried chicken: flakey, craggly, bubbly, and cohesive with the skin (you rarely took the entire skin with you). And the meat was phenomenally soft and juicy. My technique has room for improvement - I got the oil too hot and didn’t compensate quickly enough, so some of the pieces (mainly the thighs) came out much darker than you’d otherwise want; didn’t affect the taste, but definitely a detraction aesthetically. 

• Hype 1

My buddy went in on a whole cow with his dad and gave me some extra cuts he wasn't going to be cooking. Today I smoked some short ribs. My first time with these and it turned out pretty well. They were delicious. And sorry, I I forgot to take a pic of my steak the other night.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• stepee 2
  • Hype 1

10 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

My buddy went in on a whole cow with his dad and gave me some extra cuts he wasn't going to be cooking. Today I smoked some short ribs. My first time with these and it turned out pretty well. They were delicious. And sorry, I I forgot to take a pic of my steak the other night.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looks incredible. 

On 8/7/2024 at 8:12 PM, Chris- said:

OQcW6tg.jpeg

Lemon chicken orzo with broccoli, courtesy of NYT Cooking. It was extremely good, though I should have added a little more thyme. All-in-all I'd give it 8.5/10, it was really good - the broccoli stole the show.

I have like 3 boxes of orzo in my pantry, need to make some orzo salad I'm thinking!

On 8/18/2024 at 2:34 PM, Paperclyp said:

Deep fried some chicken breast last night for some spicy chicken sandwiches. 

So I was about to say something, but then you ...

On 8/21/2024 at 1:26 PM, Chris- said:

I'm doing J. Kenji's southern fried chicken tonight:

WWW.SERIOUSEATS.COM

Chicken gets brined in flavorful buttermilk before hitting the fryer for a crisp, golden crust.

Have the chicken (thighs and wings) brining in the fridge as we speak; will post final results later tonight.

So hear me out about this recipe IF you allow 1 extra day to plan ahead! I buy bone in skin on thighs and butcher the bone out myself for stock later, plus I dry brine my thighs w/skin on a full day before the brine. I do add whatever hot sauce I happen to be feeling at the time, I do double dredge them as well (first time then allow to sit up to an hour to get tacky before a 2nd dredge just before frying, be sure to keep the chicken wet enough to crumble the flour as well for those craggly bits!) I believe his recipe utilizes corn starch and/or baking powder for more airy fluffiness. So addictive!!!

• Hype 1

On 8/18/2024 at 1:36 PM, Chris- said:

Gotta drop the pictures!!

oh shoot I meant to and then forgot cuz I was gonna look up if it’s risky still to just post photos from your phone rather than upload them to a third party site first. 

8 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

oh shoot I meant to and then forgot cuz I was gonna look up if it’s risky still to just post photos from your phone rather than upload them to a third party site first. 

Well, in order to post photos you can only upload it to a hosting place. So you wasted your time and lied to us all and provided no food photos! :shameonyou:

• Shocked 1
  • True 3

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well, in order to post photos you can only upload it to a hosting place. So you wasted your time and lied to us all and provided no food photos! :shameonyou:

Wait are you saying I can’t upload photos directly from my phone to the forum? I have an account on one of those sites that I use like once every 3 years to do that on here and then I forget all my login stuff and have to make a new one. 

Just now, Paperclyp said:

Wait are you saying I can’t upload photos directly from my phone to the forum? I have an account on one of those sites that I use like once every 3 years to do that on here and then I forget all my login stuff and have to make a new one. 

For a medical doctor you aren’t to bright. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

It’s a combo of that and likely outdated paranoia about posting photos from your phone to the web. 

Upload them to me along with a credit card your social security number and the name of the street you grew up on when you were 5. It's totally safe and legit.

:sickos: