Salads: Dressing or Vinagrette?

unogueen

17 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Oil and red wine vinegar is the GOAT but if I had to pick a store bought salad dressing it would be red raspberry vinaigrette. 

Red wine is ace. King of Italian salads.

• True 1

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Caesar Salad -- Romaine, Bacon, Croutons, Caesar dressing and Parmesan

The classic fishy cheese salad. Wonder if you're strung up like Mussolini if you order one in Italy.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Absolutely not, especially not salt which I do not apply to anything at all.

This fascinates me, especially since you seem to like Taco Bell which doesn’t skimp on the salt!

The biggest different between restaurant meals and home cooking is the amount of salt that chefs use.  [They typically use a lot more.]

11 hours ago, unogueen said:

The classic fishy cheese salad. Wonder if you're strung up like Mussolini if you order one in Italy.

I don't know.  I do know it was created by an Italian in Mexico.

I also know that putting bacon, croutons and cheese on salad will make your kids much more likely to eat it.

35 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

No they aren’t. They’re originally from the Andes Mountains around Ecuador. 

Callate guey

The wild species originated in the Andes Mountains of South America, probably mainly in Peru and Ecuador, and is thought to have been domesticated in pre-Columbian Mexico; its name is derived from the Náhuatl (Aztec) word tomatl.

WWW.BRITANNICA.COM

Tomato, flowering plant of the nightshade family, cultivated extensively for its edible fruits. The fruits are commonly eaten raw, served as a cooked vegetable, used as an ingredient of prepared dishes, pickled, or processed. Learn more about the plant, its cultivation, and its history of domestication.

36 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Callate guey

The wild species originated in the Andes Mountains of South America, probably mainly in Peru and Ecuador, and is thought to have been domesticated in pre-Columbian Mexico; its name is derived from the Náhuatl (Aztec) word tomatl.

WWW.BRITANNICA.COM

Tomato, flowering plant of the nightshade family, cultivated extensively for its edible fruits. The fruits are commonly eaten raw, served as a cooked vegetable, used as an ingredient of prepared dishes, pickled, or processed. Learn more about the plant, its cultivation, and its history of...

Yes, it was domesticated in Mexico, but it’s not from Mexico :p 

• Guillotine 1

Dressing totally depends on the salad in question.  If it’s just a normal, box standard garden salad, I like a nice Italian or sometimes a blue cheese.  Give me a wedge salad with Italian dressing and I’ll smack it on the floor in front of you and call your mother to let her know she failed.  

I do like the Olive Garden one but a vegetarian Cesar is great. I use capers and vegan Worcestershire sauce to make it.

go to is

any vinegar (red wine da best)

Dijon mustard with the seeds

salt

pepper

oregano (sometimes I just use that Greek spice mix)

good olive oil