John Wick 4 Sequel Series In The Works from Keanu Reeves and Chad Stahlenski

DEADLINE.COM

John Wick: Under the High Table, from Keanu Reeves and Chad Stahelski, is set immediately after the events of John Wick 4.

Currently, Reeves is attached as an executive producer with no acting component. He is said to be very hands-on with the project, which is being shopped in what is shaping up to become a competitive situation.

In John Wick 4, John and fellow assassin Caine (Donnie Yen) earn their freedom from the High Table and Winston (Ian McShane) gets reinstatement of Hotel Manager of the rebuilt New York Continental after John (Reeves) kills High Table’s the Marquis (Bill Skarsgård) but is left gravely injured. The ending is left ambiguous, with John presumed — but not confirmed — dead, with a post-credits scene teasing a confrontation between Caine and Akira (Rina Sawayama). She attacks him with a knife after Caine earlier in the movie killed her father, Shimazu Koji (Hiroyuki Sanada) while sparing her.

The additional scene could be a teaser for a John Wick spinoff movie about Yen’s Caine assassin character, which is in the works at Lionsgate. The studio also has upcoming spinoff film Ballerina starring Ana de Armas, which takes place between the third and fourth John Wick movie.

That's a LOT of John Wick. 

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I've seen the first movie multiple times, I know I've seen the second one at least once.

I have a 12 hour flight coming up soon, maybe I'll binge them.

I recently binged them and kind of wish I hadn’t.  They lose their impact after watching them for so long one after another.  There he goes again, twisting a yet another dude around and popping two in his dome.  

22 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Did anyone even watch the first John Wick TV show?

I believe a few of us did back when it dropped - it was pretty good. Not great but the opening action scene in episode 1 is great, worthy of top action scenes in any John Wick film. It's a moodier and more plot driven entry than the mainline series. Do I want a bunch of John Wick spin-off films and TV series? Not really, but if it's used as a pipeline for great martial acts/action films then I could be persuaded. :p 

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

7 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I believe a few of us did back when it dropped - it was pretty good. Not great but the opening action scene in episode 1 is great, worthy of top action scenes in any John Wick film. It's a moodier and more plot driven entry than the mainline series. Do I want a bunch of John Wick spin-off films and TV series? Not really, but if it's used as a pipeline for great martial acts/action films then I could be persuaded. :p 

Chad Stahleskis wasn't really involved with The Continental but he signed a deal earlier this year that he will personally oversee all John Wick related film anf TV projects moving forward. The Continental was good, not great but with Stahlenski's involvement, I have faith these projects will be pretty good moving forward. There really is an interesting criminal underworld they've created here.

• True 1

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Chad Stahleskis wasn't really involved with The Continental but he signed a deal earlier this year that he will personally oversee all John Wick related film anf TV projects moving forward. The Continental was good, not great but with Stahlenski's involvement, I have faith these projects will be pretty good moving forward. There really is an interesting criminal underworld they've created here.

Yeah, that's true, they basically gave him full creative control which is a good thing. I hope the universe has the juice, but if they keep up the quality of the action then I'm good to go. John Wick 4 was excellent, so far the quality has been maintained.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, that's true, they basically gave him full creative control which is a good thing. I hope the universe has the juice, but if they keep up the quality of the action then I'm good to go. John Wick 4 was excellent, so far the quality has been maintained.

As long as he and his team at 87Eleven are involved, I wouldn't worry about the action. These guys KNOW action and how to shoot it. Best action team I've seen since the classic Hong Kong action teams under Jackie Chan and Yuen Woo Ping. Oh and Gareth Edwards, Uko Iwais and The Raid team.

• Hype 1

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

As long as he and his team at 87Eleven are involved, I wouldn't worry about the action. These guys KNOW action and how to shoot it. Best action team I've seen since the classic Hong Kong action teams under Jackie Chan and Yuen Woo Ping. Oh and Gareth Edwards, Uko Iwais and The Raid team.

I just don't want them to get lazy or complacent (which I don't think they will), but you named some of the greats who really can choreograph some action.

Kidding aside, I think the action in these movies has almost all been excellent with the possible exception of some scenes in 2 that really felt like a bunch of dudes lining up exclusively to have the privilege of being shot in the head by John Wick. Great way to go of course, but… you know. :p The third one restored my faith that the series had juice and the 4th didn’t let me down either.

That said I can also see that binging them would be problematic.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

I just don't want them to get lazy or complacent (which I don't think they will), but you named some of the greats who really can choreograph some action.

These guys are right up there with them. Stahlenski was Keaanu's stunt double on The Matrix movies so he learned a lot from working with Woo Ping on those films.

• Hype 1

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Kidding aside, I think the action in these movies has almost all been excellent with the possible exception of some scenes in 2 that really felt like a bunch of dudes lining up exclusively to have the privilege of being shot in the head by John Wick. Great way to go of course, but… you know. :p The third one restored my faith that the series had juice and the 4th didn’t let me down either.

That said I can also see that binging them would be problematic.

The second might be the most beautifully shot of all four movies but every action scene are guys with guns running into close quarters instead of firing from far away and getting constantly wrecked by Wick. The third and fourth fixed this problem but it's pretty bad. The second is still a great movie but it definitely has that issue. 

3 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I love the world building of the Wick movies, but part of that is that there’s just enough of it to keep things spicy. 

This is my worry as well, hopefully they can keep it spicy.

• True 1

12 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I've been waiting for this and it needs to happen.

Right? And as he’s fighting someone, they pull the knife out, then he has to get it back and stick it back in, or he’s got like 100 knives on him and keeps stabbing himself as people take the knife out of his chest so he doesn’t die. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Right? And as he’s fighting someone, they pull the knife out, then he has to get it back and stick it back in, or he’s got like 100 knives on him and keeps stabbing himself as people take the knife out of his chest so he doesn’t die. 

Is Common unavailable or something? I don't think he's been up to much . . .