I think Nine Sols has the hardest final boss I've ever fought

legend

This game has on the whole been fantastic. It's always been tough but very little BS in the difficulty design. I also don't think I've played a game that focuses on parry mechanics this much before. The story has been surprisingly touching and melancholy too.

But god damn the final boss is a fucker! I seriously think this might be the hardest boss I've ever fought. Maybe some of that is because I don't normally play games with this much parry mechanic focus. I also made the "mistake" of doing everything required to get the true ending on my first play through, and the true ending adds a 3rd phase to the final boss. After many trials I finally got through the second phase of the boss and then was immediately obliterated in the third phase by a fly everywhere with giant exploding sword attacks move.

I think my biggest problem with having long multi-stage boss fights is it means you're spending a lot of time to get back to the new stuff you're not sure how to address (let a lone practice) and I think the devs have miscalculated by how much harder this boss is than every other boss (which were already tough fights!)

I'm going to take solace in the fact that by beating the first two phases that that means I beat the normal game and pretend I'm now going for the "true ending" after beating it :p 

Anyway, mostly just wanted to vent, but if you like hard action games, this one is a no brainer. There is also a story mode that lets you adjust lots of different aspects of the game so that you can make it much easier if you want to experience it with a toned down difficulty. I've come this far though so I think I'm going to see if I can manage it. I'm dying a lot, but I am clearly slowly "gitting gud." I have to imagine that if I just don't stop I'll someday get there :p 

• legend changed the title to I think Nine Sols has the hardest final boss I've ever fought
3 minutes ago, legend said:

Nope I'm doing it myself or not at all!

Well, after you beat it, that Ongbal guy has a no-hit all bosses video up. Ongbal is this giga parry god if you weren't aware. Famous for his Sekiro videos.

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

Well, after you beat it, that Ongbal guy has a no-hit all bosses video up. Ongbal is this giga parry god if you weren't aware. Famous for his Sekiro videos.

I thought I saw something like that on my youtube stream by didn't watch it nor knew who it was. That's pretty crazy. Back when Stellar Blade was new I watched someone do a hitless using perfect parries on everything on a really hard boss just completely effortlessly. Wonder if it was the same person.

38 minutes ago, Best said:

That's saying a lot if you say it is the most difficult boss you faced. You'll get it sooner or later!

To be fair, I've never been great at action games. Not bad, but it's never been where I was especially good. Historically, the genres I was good at were shooters and tactical strategy (not to be confused with fucking resource management like star craft. Bleh!)

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, Best said:

That's saying a lot if you say it is the most difficult boss you faced. You'll get it sooner or later!

I've been hard pressed to stay in a game with any real amount of frustration the last 5-6 years. Things have definitely shifted. I respect the fact that there are those out there with skills I could only dream of. I'm sure you'll get this weekend or soon after! 

I can now reliably get to phase 3 and sometimes outright wipe the floor with her in the first two phases.

But this third phase introduces multiple variations of an annoying fucking whole screen attack and I'm struggling to figure out what the right counter for it is. So far I've only been able to partially block it. And it's not just occasionally that she does it. If you manage to survive the first time she does it (she always opens with it on the third phase), she will keep spamming it. And the worst is that you have to play through the first two long phases just so you can try one thing and then almost instantly die.

13 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Hey, at least it’s not like 20XX. In that game the final boss is hard coded to make the full screen attack unblockable.

That sounds substantially worse! That I would probably just not play. 

Aside from one hitbox issue you can avoid in this final fight, it's fair, just fucking hard and long making it tough to practice the later stages.

My best run so far I got through the first two phase while taking only a single small hit with all my heals left. Which would be great to go into the third, except the screen attack can insta kill you :/ 

So I'm at the point where I can crush the normal ending fight but this fucking third phase gives so little opportunity to figure it out.