Job growth totals 114,000 in July, much less than expected, as unemployment rate rises to 4.3%

WWW.REUTERS.COM

WASHINGTON/LONDON, Aug 1 (Reuters) - Manufacturers across the United States, Europe and Asia turned in a weak performance last month as factories grappled with tepid demand, surveys showed on Thursday, raising the risk of an underpowered global economic recovery.

A measure of U.S. manufacturing activity dropped to an eight-month low in July amid a slump in new orders, echoing a broadbased downturn in the euro zone while a slump in China's manufacturing activity suppressed its Asian neighbours.

The Institute for Supply Management's U.S. manufacturing Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) dropped to 46.8 last month, the lowest reading since November, from 48.5 in June. A PMI reading below 50 indicates contraction in the manufacturing sector, which accounts for 10.3% of the world's largest economy.

This was another piece of data that is playing into this hard landing panic. 

Japan raising interest rates and US lowering them right before I go back to Japan at the end of September is a double whammy of "fuck you." The exchange rate peaked at 160 yen to USD earlier this month and is back down to 145.

• Sicko 1

1 hour ago, ThreePi said:

Japan raising interest rates and US lowering them right before I go back to Japan at the end of September is a double whammy of "fuck you." The exchange rate peaked at 160 yen to USD earlier this month and is back down to 145.

I'm still salty at missing going to Europe while the euro was at par. 145 yen to the dollar is about where it was last summer though and it was still pretty cheap being there given that in Japan food and drinks are quite a bit cheaper to begin with.

38 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

If these pieces of data really do indicate a recession, it could hit at just the wrong time for Harris. 

Yep.

Hopefully an interest rate cut at the next FOMC meeting and the historically low (even after the recent increases) unemployment rate mitigates the damage.  Soft landings are still landings; if we’re lucky this will turn out to just be turbulence as the wheels hit the runway. 

If not…well we can all do the math.

11 hours ago, ThreePi said:

I know the exchange rate was really bad for Japan and affected a large contract at my last job but man it was great buying too many games from Japan at the peak. =/