Massive prisoner swap (26 individuals) involving the US, Russia, Germany, Poland, Slovenia, Norway, and Belarus is underway

Americans Gershkovich and Whelan included in big Russia-West prisoner swap (Reuters)

Jailed U.S. Wall Street Journal reporter Evan Gershkovich and ex-U.S. Marine Paul Whelan were among 26 prisoners from the United States, Russia, Germany, Poland, Slovenia, Norway and Belarus being freed in a major east-west exchange on Thursday, Turkey's presidency said.

It said 10 prisoners, including two minors, had been moved to Russia, 13 to Germany and three to the United States.

Turkish intelligence had announced that it was coordinating an extensive prisoner exchange, amid signs of a major swap between Russia and Belarus on one side and Western countries including the United States and Germany on the other.

"Our organisation has undertaken a major mediation role in this exchange operation, which is the most comprehensive of the recent period," the National Intelligence Agency (MIT) said in a statement.

Both the Kremlin and the White House declined to comment when asked about a possible exchange.

Flight tracking site Flightradar24 showed that a special Russian government plane used for a previous prisoner swap involving the United States and Russia had flown from Moscow to the Russian exclave of Kaliningrad, which borders Poland and Lithuania, before heading back to the Russian capital.

Reuters footage showed a Russian government plane on the ground in the Turkish capital Ankara.

Whelan and Vladimir Kara-Murza, a Russian-British dissident, both jailed in Russia, had suddenly disappeared from view in recent days, according to their lawyers. At least seven Russian dissidents had been unexpectedly moved from their prisons.

• Hugs 1

I'm legitimately so happy for Whalen and his family. Not that I'm not happy for the others, but I remember when they spoke out against the criticism that Biden supposedly didn't care about Whalen after Griner was released. They've been patient, caring, and they finally have him back.

From Biden's press conference with the families of the released hostages:

Reporter: Trump said he could have gotten the hostages out without giving anything in exchange. What do you say to that?

Biden: Why didn't he do it when he was president?

Reporter: Would you be willing to speak with Putin?

Biden: I don’t need to speak with Putin

• stepee 1
  • Haha 3

WWW.RFERL.ORG

White House national-security adviser Jake Sullivan said on August 1 that the United States had been working on a prisoner exchange to include Russian opposition leader Aleksei Navalny prior to his death.

White House national-security adviser Jake Sullivan said on August 1 that the United States had been working on a prisoner exchange to include Russian opposition leader Aleksei Navalny prior to his death.

It was the first time a U.S. government official publicly confirmed that negotiations for a prisoner swap with Navalny had been under way prior to his death on February 16.

Straight from The Americans 

WWW.THEGLOBEANDMAIL.COM

Among those released were the so-called ‘illegals’ – the Dultsevs, a husband and wife convicted a court in Slovenia of pretending to be Argentinians in order to spy, who were flown back to Russia with their two children

A family of Russian sleeper agents flown to Moscow in the biggest East-West prisoner swap since the Cold War were so deep under cover that their children found out they were Russians only after the flight took off, the Kremlin said on Friday.

“Before that, they didn’t know that they were Russian and that they had anything to do with our country,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters.

“And you probably saw that when the children came down the plane’s steps that they don’t speak Russian and that Putin greeted them in Spanish. He said ’buenas noches'.”

• Shocked 1

Clown:

“As usual, it was a win for Putin or any other country that deals with us. But we got somebody back. So, I’m never going to be challenging that. It wouldn’t have happened with us, we would have gotten it back,” Trump said in an interview on Fox Business. 

2 hours ago, Ominous said:

How many Taliban did Trump release? Didn't he give up 200 Houthi rebels for 2 Americans? Not a great ratio. Sounds like he needs to read a book on making good deals. I hear making good deals is an art.

I actually saw a tweet earlier today that lays it all out.

• Guillotine 2
  • Shocked 1