I was wrong

5 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Look at it this way: a month ago, Democrats always wondered if Biden was going to have a verbal slip that made him sound too old. Now only Trump has that problem.

Yep. The table has turned for sure and another positive is that it seems Harris has really improved her public speaking. That was one thing the right attacked but from what I've seen is a huge improvement in her performances. 

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

Yeah, Trump for acting all confused and making offensive comments, and Harris for existing.

One isn't black (or any other ancestry) because you identify as it.  You're black because of who you're ancestors were.

All her team had to say was (or some variation thereof:

"Kamala's ancestors were black slaves in Jamaica -- don't you dare say she isn't black."

Instead they say:

"Kamala has always identified as black."

One states who she is, the other gets into identity politics.

• Confused 2
  • Wrong 1

9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

One isn't black (or any other ancestry) because you identify as it.  You're black because of who you're ancestors were.

"Kamala's ancestors were black slaves in Jamaica -- don't you dare say she isn't black."

Instead they say:

Oh so the problem is she told people she was black. Yeah what a nutjob!

1 hour ago, Best said:

While this is a safe perspective to have I'm honestly thinking Harris takes this in November. Especially if Trump keeps having performances like he had at the Chicago convention. 

Harris has momentum and is doing incredibly well so far, but momentum isn't the same thing as winning. Trump has had some issues recently, but it's nothing atypical or bad enough to matter enough to say that Harris is going to win. Even if Trump did say the n word, he still would have a decent chance.  Vance was a bad pick, but VP picks arguably don't make that much of a difference. 

Harris has a better shot right now than Biden had. She has evened it up into a statistical tie with Trump. But when it's this tight, polling can't really say which way it will swing. I think Harris has a reasonable shot as she better appeals to young adults, independents, minorities, and the excitement around her should drive turnout. But the excitement around Trump is real too, even if we don't feel it in the mainstream media. People being priced out of homes and cars from inflation/interest rates would take a toll on any incumbent party. Take a walk down memory lane and look at what right wing news is saying too. They're really happy with Trump. They're excited!

I am noticing people around me that are Pro Trump are angry, depressed, and panicking over Harris. They lost most of their talking points. They don't know what to say. That could turn around for the GOP. We'll see.

• stepee 2

1 minute ago, Massdriver said:

Harris has momentum and is doing incredibly well so far, but momentum isn't the same thing as winning. Trump has had some issues recently, but it's nothing atypical or bad enough to matter enough to say that Harris is going to win. Even if Trump did say the n word, he still would have a decent chance.  Vance was a bad pick, but VP picks arguably don't make that much of a difference. 

Harris has a better shot right now than Biden had. She has evened it up into a statistical tie with Trump. But when it's this tight, polling can't really say which way it will swing. I think Harris has a reasonable shot as she better appeals to young adults, independents, minorities, and the excitement around her should drive turnout. But the excitement around Trump is real too, even if we don't feel it in the mainstream media. People being priced out of homes and cars from inflation/interest rates would take a toll on any incumbent party. Take a walk down memory lane and look at what right wing news is saying too. They're really happy with Trump. They're excited!

I am noticing people around me that are Pro Trump are angry, depressed, and panicking over Harris. They lost most of their talking points. They don't know what to say. That could turn around for the GOP. We'll see.

Very well said. You make really good points. It's going to be crazy that's for sure. 

32 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Instead they say:

We really need more Canadians to wade into the complexity of multi racial identities in America. 

59 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

We really need more Canadians to wade into the complexity of multi racial identities in America. 

His regressive views are slipping out again and yet again, his cognitive dissonance is so bad he doesn't see it, instead creating the typical conservative logic pretzel (where it appears their own argument makes complete sense to them) of somehow equivalently "both sidesing" the argument without even understanding the one (correct) side just saying she's biracial and that she's said she's both. Somehow he's made up a different side because phrasing. Somehow missing what the real problem is here in the first place. As if his understanding of race discussions wasn't warped enough from the recent Assassin Creed Shadows thread. This is more of the same.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Is what matters how Kamala Harris "sees" herself?  Does anyone really believe she is more/less black because of how she self identifies?

Kamala Harris is half black and half Indian, other people don't get to tell her how black she is or isn't.  Especially not Trump and the cult.  That's really what it comes down to.

• stepee 2
  • Halal 3

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

His regressive views are slipping out again and yet again, his cognitive dissonance is so bad he doesn't see it, instead creating the typical conservative logic pretzel of somehow equivalently "both sidesing" the argument without even understanding the one side just saying she's biracial and she's said she's both. Somehow he's made up a different side because phrasing. 

He probably never heard the phrase "difference without a distinction". But it would be decimating to one's brain cells to continue to engage with him.

• Halal 1

8 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Kamala Harris is half black and half Indian, other people don't get to tell her how black she is or isn't.  Especially not Trump and the cult.  That's really what it comes down to.

Exactly. Not sure how this isn't the first thing one thinks of in response to the original BS claims as opposed to what he came up with.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

His regressive views are slipping out again and yet again, his cognitive dissonance is so bad he doesn't see it, instead creating the typical conservative logic pretzel of somehow equivalently "both sidesing" the argument without even understanding the one (correct) side just saying she's biracial and that she's said she's both. Somehow he's made up a different side because phrasing. Somehow missing what the real problem is here in the first place.

Right. Hell we’ve already had one biracial president as an example. He presented himself as the product of his white middle American grandparents from Kansas to white midwestern audiences and then emphasizes his Blackness when speaking to primarily black audiences, and emphasizing both when speaking to a wider audience.

When or if someone is bi or multi racial and one of those isn’t white it melts the mind of a lot of whites. And trumps mind in particular is already pudding that’s been left out in the August sun, but the difference between him and your weird uncle who says this racist shit is the size of the megaphone. 

• stepee 1
  • Halal 3

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Right. And there’s nothing wrong with presenting yourself, if multi or biracial, as either one or both or any. Hell we’ve already had one biracial president as an example. He presented himself as the product of his white middle American grandparents from Kansas to white midwestern audiences and then emphasizes his Blackness when speaking to primarily black audiences, and emphasizing both when speaking to a wider audience.

When or if someone is bi or multi racial and one of those isn’t white it melts the mind of a lot of whites. And trumps mind in particular is already pudding that’s been set in the August sun, but the difference between him and your weird uncle who says this racist shit is the size of the megaphone. 

Right on the money. What's frustrating about arguments that users like AbsolutSurgen make is they couch their arguments in "logic" while all the racism just goes right over their head at the same time, somehow missing that their "logical" argument is only a coded defense of racism. And as always, when a conservative user gets called out for this (like in the Assassin's Creed Shadows thread) they never come back with a rebuttal because there isn't one (this has applied to crispy on abortion and SoberChef on many topics on this very board just to name some examples). They just want to get their shitty view out there, present it as if it was totally normal and then move on as if their view is completely cogent and airtight and not a coded or ridiculous defense of something terrible.

• Shocked 1

Furthermore, you know who didn't even bother to address this race issue in the immediate aftermath of yesterday's event?

Kamala Harris.

In her speech in Houston last night, she very briefly touched on Trump's "performance" (as she described it, the "same old show"), but didn't get into the putrid racial (or gender) dynamics of what he said, instead choosing to focus on the usual chaos and divisiveness that permeate everything about him. This was really, really smart of her and the campaign.

• stepee 1
  • Thanks 1
  • True 2
  • Halal 2

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Furthermore, you know who didn't even bother to address this race issue in the immediate aftermath of yesterday's event?

Kamala Harris.

In her speech in Houston last night, she very briefly touched on Trump's "performance" (as she described it, the "same old show"), but didn't get into the putrid racial (or gender) dynamics of what he said, instead choosing to focus on the usual chaos and divisiveness that permeate everything about him. This was really, really smart of her and the campaign.

It was the presidential press secretary I was thinking of.  Should have made that distinction.

I can only speak for myself when it comes to the topic of being bi-racial in America, but I have long found the phrase "X identifies as ____" odd. I AM the product of Nigerians on my Dad's side of the family, and Irish/Scottish on my Mom's side of the family. I am also much more than those things. For most of my childhood, I didn't even think about my racial makeup until other people brought it up in my tweens/teens. With my wife and I, we have tried to be more directly celebratory of the rich heritage our children have between me, and my wife who is a native born American child of an immigrant. My daughter is as pasty white as they come, but now that she is almost 13, she is getting more excited to have her Quince and celebrate that part of the culture that belongs to her too. I'm glad my in-laws are very supportive of her having one, especially my mother in-law.

• stepee 1

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Instead they say:

Do you not realize how absolutely bonkers you sound in here?

• Halal 1