Update (08/09): OpenCritic's founder/creator/CEO posts his reason for selling the site on ResetERA

On behalf of Valnet, Inc, I am excited to officially announce the acquisition of OpenCritic.com, the leading video game review aggregator on the internet.

OpenCritic is well-known for giving gaming enthusiasts clear, unbiased aggregation of game reviews, proving an invaluable service to the gaming industry as a whole. Established in 2015, OpenCritic aggregates ratings from various trusted sources that are manually approved and integrated. When a game releases, it averages those ratings, giving readers a straightforward review score and other critical insights, such as what percentage of reviewers recommend a game and its relative ranking compared to all other games on the platform.

OpenCritic gives equal weight to all publications, ensuring an accurate critic score without favoring specific sources compared to competitors. This commitment to transparency and user focus has made OpenCritic a trusted source of gaming reviews from its inception.

• Sad 1

To that point:

We’re excited to take OpenCritic to the next level. We’ve got big plans to make it the ultimate social network for gamers, with new, unique features that boost social interaction, community engagement, and library building for our userbase. To accomplish this goal, we’ve hired a dedicated development team tasked with driving innovation and continuously improving the brand.

This is not what I want out of open critic. It's going to turn to garbage.

• Guillotine 1
  • Sad 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

One of my favorite things is when a new game comes out and Wade posts the OC stuff and I can read through all the quick takes. Fuck this. 

I need to start some "open" kind of website where Its honest unbiased feedback, and then sell the fuck out for millions of dollars and let the site become everything it was not supposed to represent. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Dodger said:

One of my favorite things is when a new game comes out and Wade posts the OC stuff and I can read through all the quick takes. Fuck this. 

I need to start some "open" kind of website where Its honest unbiased feedback, and then sell the fuck out for millions of dollars and let the site become everything it was not supposed to represent. 

yeah i honestly fucking hate this 

I mean it's not the end of the world lol. I thought everyone here doesn’t even pay attention to reviews? I'm the only one that takes reviews seriously and every time I do i get ridiculed for it. :p

9 minutes ago, Best said:

I mean it's not the end of the world lol. I thought everyone here doesn’t even pay attention to reviews? I'm the only one that takes reviews seriously and every time I do i get ridiculed for it. :p

Whether or not reviews should be paid attention to (in the aggregate they provide a generally decent indicator of overall product quality) is kinda beside the point in that what has been a genuinely useful resource that we've used for a few years could be rendered far less useful/reliable.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

12 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Whether or not reviews should be paid attention to (in the aggregate they provide a generally decent indicator of overall product quality) is kinda beside the point in that what has been a genuinely useful resource that we've used for a few years could be rendered far less useful/reliable.

Yea I understand that part. We will just have to wait and see how it turns out. 

20 minutes ago, Best said:

I’ve never held that opinion. Reviews represent information so as long as you know how to use that information appropriately it’s fine.  The trouble is when people start assuming review scores are the end all be all. Aggregate scores give you a small piece of information and many textual pieces give you some more. And from there you need to know how to integrate it with your own preferences.   

And naturally, scores are meaningless to you once you’ve played a sufficient amount of the game. 

• True 2

5 minutes ago, legend said:

I’ve never held that opinion. Reviews represent information so as long as you know how to use that information appropriately it’s fine.  The trouble is when people start assuming review scores are the end all be all. Aggregate scores give you a small piece of information and many textual pieces give you some more. And from there you need to know how to integrate it with your own preferences.   

And naturally, scores are meaningless to you once you’ve played a sufficient amount of the game. 

I guess I shouldn't have said everyone. I usually take two of my favorite sources and average out thier scores to make my decision on a game. It's been working for me for years. 

I love reviews and when it pertains to certain places I take them pretty seriously.

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

THIS IS SUCH BAD NEWS :(

I FEEL SO BAD NOW :cry:

ONLY MORE MONEY WILL MAKE ME FEEL BETTER :pray:

Oh I know! This sucks so bad! Let me give you more money towards your PC to make you feel better! :p

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Best said:

I guess I shouldn't have said everyone. I usually take two of my favorite sources and average out thier scores to make my decision on a game. It's been working for me for years. 

I love reviews and when it pertains to certain places I take them pretty seriously.

Yeah, if you know reviewers who tend to align with you, considering their perspective more is reasonable.