Games Workshop and Amazon have until December to agree to the "creative guidelines" for their Warhammer 40K projects

WWW.IGN.COM

Games Workshop has reiterated that Amazon’s hotly anticipated Warhammer 40,000 film and TV series will not happen unless both companies can agree “creative guidelines” by December 2024.

Games Workshop has reiterated that Amazon’s hotly anticipated Warhammer 40,000 film and TV series will not happen unless both companies can agree “creative guidelines” by December 2024.

Speaking in its annual financial report, Games Workshop discussed the deal that granted exclusive rights to Amazon films and television series set within the Warhammer 40,000 universe, with an option for Amazon to license equivalent rights in the Warhammer Fantasy universe following the release of the initial Warhammer 40,000 production.

In December 2023, Games Workshop said it would work with Amazon for a period of 12 months ending in December 2024, “to agree creative guidelines for the films and television series to be developed by Amazon.” And that agreement “will only proceed if the creative guidelines are mutually agreed between Games Workshop and Amazon.”

“We will update you accordingly,” Games Workshop said, like a Space Marine might tell a Guardsman anxious about a coming battle.

That means Games Workshop and Amazon have just five months to sort themselves out, or the Warhammer 40,000 movie and TV series fans of the grimdark universe so desperately want might never happen.

1 hour ago, Bitgod said:

I like my idea of just doing stop motion with Henry moving the figures around, and then you hire voice actors for the characters.

Just have him do all the voices, Henry playing with his toys.

2 hours ago, Bitgod said:

I like my idea of just doing stop motion with Henry moving the figures around, and then you hire voice actors for the characters.

Don’t even make it stop motion. He just sits there with the figures and moving them around while doing voices. It’ll be reminiscent of the scene in Spaceballs with Helmet playing with the action figures.

IMG-9321.gif

I maintain that there is absolutely no way to do even the most minimum justice to the Warhammer 40K universe in a live action format without a budget that would make a financial executive drop dead from a coronary on the spot.

Anything less than that, and it would look as ridiculously cheesy as hell.

Man, Cavill loses Superman, loses The Witcher, Argylle was a terrible movie (that he was barely in), and he played second fiddle to Alan Ritchson in the solid but not great The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare, and now this. Hopefully Highlander turns out well for him.

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Man, Cavill loses Superman, loses The Witcher, Argylle was a terrible movie (that he was barely in), and he played second fiddle to Alan Ritchson in the solid but not great The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare, and now this. Hopefully Highlander turns out well for him.

yeah but he got a whole 5 seconds in Deadpool and Wolverine!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I maintain that there is absolutely no way to do even the most minimum justice to the Warhammer 40K universe in a live action format without a budget that would make a financial executive drop dead from a coronary on the spot.

My opinion is that the best type of story to adapt is Eisenhorn, where you get a more "down-to-earth" view of the universe (as much as that is possible), and would be easier on a reasonable budget. Unfortunately, a large chunk of the WH40K fandom really just wants space marines killing 10,000 people per minute, and likely will be upset about anything else.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

My opinion is that the best type of story to adapt is Eisenhorn, where you get a more "down-to-earth" view of the universe (as much as that is possible), and would be easier on a reasonable budget. Unfortunately, a large chunk of the WH40K fandom really just wants space marines killing 10,000 people per minute, and likely will be upset about anything else.

Eisenhorn is supposedly what will be adapted first for exactly the reasons you provided.

7 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

but 40k is cheesy. The imperium has giant walkers that have cathedral strapped to their back, the orcs vehicles go faster if they are painted red, EVERYTHING is just ridiculous to the extreme in the universe. 

1 minute ago, elbobo said:

but 40k is cheesy. The imperium has giant walkers that have cathedral strapped to their back, the orcs vehicles go faster if they are painted red, EVERYTHING is just ridiculous to the extreme in the universe. 

40K is absolutely ridiculous/cheesy within the context in which it exists.  What I'm suggesting is that an inadequate budget would make it appear ridiculous/cheesy aesthetically ("cheap").

A few weeks ago my TikTok kink was a guy going off about how if Starfleet came into contact with the 40K universe, based on what we know in canon, that Starfleet would absolutely mop the floor with them. So lets do a Trek / 40K crossover where Space Marines get wiped because it’ll make Warhammer chuds mad.