Bacon wins contest!

stepee

Just now, cusideabelincoln said:

I'd guess it'll overall be slightly slower than the 7800X3D, but might win a few times. Memory performance is said to be improved with the 9000 series, so if FFIX is memory-latency bottlenecked (which suggests why Intel does better) then maybe it could be faster than the X3D.

What I need the CPU for is for locations like cities that have a lot of NPCs and Player characters all at once. I'm a dumbo, but I think this shows that the x3d stuff is really good for FFXIV. I'd need a more experience person to tell me what it all means, honestly.

Just now, Bacon said:

What I need the CPU for is for locations like cities that have a lot of NPCs and Player characters all at once. I'm a dumbo, but I think this shows that the x3d stuff is really good for FFXIV. I'd need a more experience person to tell me what it all means, honestly.

get the damn cache 

• stepee 1

Whether or not DDR5-6400 speed will work with the 7800 is a luck of the draw. Without resulting to max voltages, my 7800 only handles 6200 speeds but I'll probably see if it can go higher come winter.

6400 is supposed to be the default setting for 9000 series, though.

• stepee 1

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

do you like high frame rates when gaming or no?

• stepee 1

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Whether or not DDR5-6400 speed will work with the 7800 is a luck of the draw. Without resulting to max voltages, my 7800 only handles 6200 speeds but I'll probably see if it can go higher come winter.

6400 is supposed to be the default setting for 9000 series, though.

I ain't got a clue what that means, homie. You got something in mind that I should change to?

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Oh, X3D is putting in a lot of work compared to what it does in other games. So I will guess the 7800X3D will still be the fastest CPU for FFXIV, and this recent review seems to support that because the the 9950X is only going to be 15% faster than the 7950X, which should put it about 10% slower than the 7800X3D.

Of course, you could always wait for the 9000X3D chips which could come out before December of this year too, but there's no official release date yet.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Oh, X3D is putting in a lot of work compared to what it does in other games. So I will guess the 7800X3D will still be the fastest CPU for FFXIV, and this recent review seems to support that because the the 9950X is only going to be 15% faster than the 7950X, which should put it about 10% slower than the 7800X3D.

Of course, you could always wait for the 9000X3D chips which could come out before December of this year too, but there's no official release date yet.

October-November is the current belief on Reddit PC subs as people are think AMD will likely want to do a “gotcha bitch!” for 15th gen Intel release :p 

9 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

IF I didn't wait, would a 9000X3D be compatible with a current-gen mobo? Or is that something totally unknown? While I don't know the prices, I could see potentially being able to afford a 9000X3D if that was the only upgrade I had to make.

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@Bacon go for a B650e mobo over a B650. More PCIE Lanes and some other benefits that basically make it an x670 “light” iirc

What is a B650e? I don't see many options when I type in b650e. Just link me one lol

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@Bacon go for a B650e mobo over a B650. More PCIE Lanes and some other benefits that basically make it an x670 “light” iirc

650E just means the PCI-E x16 slot is 5.0 instead of 4.0. The number of total lanes is the same, which usually means the third M.2 SSD slot shares resources with a second PCIE slot or some other feature if the board has it. 

Likewise the difference between X670 and X670E is 4.0 vs 5.0 on the x16 slot. X670 in general adds a lot more lanes compared to B650.

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

For your RAM, when you enable the EXPO [XMP] setting in the BIOS, you might afterwards need to downclock it to run at 6000 instead of 6400. So you could just get 6000 from the get go.

Oh, mkay. I could make that change. Like, lets say the 6400 works great with a future 9000X3D. Would the performance difference be so minor that it is still worth getting 6000 over 6400? I get that I might be making you think in hypotheticals, but would still like to hear your thoughts.

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

IF I didn't wait, would a 9000X3D be compatible with a current-gen mobo? Or is that something totally unknown? While I don't know the prices, I could see potentially being able to afford a 9000X3D if that was the only upgrade I had to make.

What is a B650e? I don't see many options when I type in b650e. Just link me one lol

Yes, it will be compatible with current motherboards.

• Hype 1

3 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

650E just means the PCI-E x16 slot is 5.0 instead of 4.0. The number of total lanes is the same, which usually means the third M.2 SSD slot shares resources with a second PCIE slot or some other feature if the board has it. 

Likewise the difference between X670 and X670E is 4.0 vs 5.0 on the x16 slot. X670 in general adds a lot more lanes compared to B650.

And I guess more "lanes" means "less traffic" so shit moves faster

Just now, Bacon said:

Oh, mkay. I could make that change. Like, lets say the 6400 works great with a future 9000X3D. Would the performance difference be so minor that it is still worth getting 6000 over 6400? I get that I might be making you think in hypotheticals, but would still like to hear your thoughts.

Yeah, the difference between 6000 and 6400 would indeed be minor for a future CPU.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

And I guess more "lanes" means "less traffic" so shit moves faster

In practice more lanes means motherboards can add more features. So X670 can have more and/or faster USB ports, more SSD slots, more PCIE slots for expansion cards, etc.

Basically gives you flexibility to add more stuff in the future, although IMO what matters the most are SSD slots and USB ports. 

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

what are you doing for gpu tho?

Well, I had planned on not doing anything. That is until I saw the price of a 4070. I think I can get a 4070. It's only around 700. A 4070 super or Ti is a bit more and a 4080 super is a few hundred out of what I got. I have no idea what kinda of AMD GPUs I should even be looking at. I'm pretty sure that whatever I do, I'll just give away whatever GPU I get when you send the 4090. That is if anyone wants what ever I get.

• stepee 1

I honestly don't give a shit who started what and with whom, but I'm absolutely through with it.

I'm too goddamned old and tired for this nonsense from anyone and any further attempts to resurrect whatever the hell is going on will result in an involuntarily enforced vacation from this place.

• stepee 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Likewise the difference between X670 and X670E is 4.0 vs 5.0 on the x16 slot.

x670 non-E is 5.0, E just has more 5.0 lanes iirc

*Not all of the non-Es have 5.0m but all of the Es do.