Bacon wins contest!

stepee

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Going have to put in work next year on my build. bacon’s looks so much better

I mean, when your case is 50% glass and has enforced cable management, it'd be hard to make it look bad.

Also, BG3 runs at fuckin' ultra. I easily hit my monitor's refresh rate on the wildlands map. Not sure how it does in areas with more NPCs or the actual city of BG, but it's hella smooth overall.

• Hype 1

48 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Also, BG3 runs at fuckin' ultra. I easily hit my monitor's refresh rate on the wildlands map. Not sure how it does in areas with more NPCs or the actual city of BG, but it's hella smooth overall.

Sweet. Any other games you have to test out?

Part 2.  

Well, I thought I was going to have more to post than what I have but I don’t. Only other thing I did was fuck up putting in the GPU and I broke the type-c cable header. I thought it was way more in the way of the GPU than it actually was, so I kept pushing it, trying to really shove as much of it under the CMB as I could. In the process, I pushed too much and heard a really gross crunch, and the cable popped out. As you saw from the last image, I bent the silver metal bit on one side. No idea if that broke the cable. What I did tho, was I plugged it back in in such a way that I used the port to straighten the side that I bent. Seemed to work as it plugged in normally, but I haven't tested to see if it actually does. I’m kinda just ignoring it and don’t plan on using the USB-C port on the front I/O.

nUjNroB.png

After that, well, the build was over. PC posted first try.

The issue with not connecting to the internet was because Windows 10 was so outdated that it didn’t work with the onboard LAN or Wifi. If I had gone straight to Windows 11 I wouldn't have had a problem. Or maybe if I used a modern version of Windows 10 instead of the outdated official USB key from 2016 I wouldn’t have had an issue.

There was also an issue of the PC taking forever to boot. That was solved as well. Shit is near instant now. Not sure if that is because of the drivers or what cuz changing settings in the BIOS also seems to make the next boot take like 2 minutes. Whatever the case, it doesn’t matter now.

The last problem I still need to address is that I need to get a GPU support stand. The included one is too short by like an inch or so as I posted above. With a GPU of this size, all of Reddit says I should get something to prevent sagging.

While not an issue I’m a bit miffed that the majority of the brands I bought from don’t have a service to register the product to make a potential RMA easier. I was able to register my MOBO and GPU and that was it. Hell, the GPU one doesn’t even let you make a real account. Half of the sites don’t have an account creation process. You just have to email them raw should something break. I like registering my shit for peace of mind but oh well.

That's the whole build story for now. Overall, the PC is pretty great. In terms of performance, this is the best PC I have ever owned. As in, it is the strongest PC I've owned for its time. I'm really happy with it. If this PC lasts 7.5 years without issue then it will be the best PC I have ever owned period. My previous PC has held up so well tho. I doubt anything will top its service length, especially considering it still works great, just outdated.

Shoutouts to @cusideabelincoln and @Spork3245 for the general help.

I'd like to give thanks to @Best for being the first person to just outright give me money for something that was a very long time off for me. It was the first bit of cash I had towards a new PC.

And lastly, an extra big THANK YOU to @stepee for pretty much single-handedly buying me an entire PC. I truly appreciate it. This is by far the single biggest gift I have ever gotten in probably my whole life. It's pretty fuckin' rad to be essentially gifted a whole brand new PC that is this top-of-the-line.

q1WN3M9.jpg

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Hype 1

I got the support a support stand but it doesn't really work with my GPU+Case.

Can't put it on the side because the bezel is too thin and it catches the fan.

Can't put it on the front cuz of whatever these are

qhYrzq8.png

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I got the support a support stand but it doesn't really work with my GPU+Case.

Can't put it on the side because the bezel is too thin and it catches the fan.

Can't put it on the front cuz of whatever these are

qhYrzq8.png

Get a support bracket instead of a stand

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Yes, just make sure you have enough PCIE bracket space underneath your video card for how it screws in.

These 40 series zotacs are oddly shaped. I feel like anything that isn't just an extending rod will cause issues. Then I worry that the GPU power cable will in in the way of a supporting bracket like the top one I linked.

h4LqIth.jpg

Unless there is some slack that is tangled up in the back, there ain't much room for an underside brace

16 minutes ago, Bacon said:

These 40 series zotacs are oddly shaped. I feel like anything that isn't just an extending rod will cause issues. Then I worry that the GPU power cable will in in the way of a supporting bracket like the top one I linked.

h4LqIth.jpg

Unless there is some slack that is tangled up in the back, there ain't much room for an underside brace

I meant the actual brackets on your case

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I meant the actual brackets on your case

Oh, I mean to say I have enough space. I have 3 totally free pcie holes on the case. I'm not worried about that. I'm just worried about one actually fitting with the cable clearance.

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Oh, I mean to say I have enough space. I have 3 totally free pcie holes on the case. I'm not worried about that. I'm just worried about one actually fitting with the cable clearance.

It should be fine, the bracket holds the outer-side (closest to the case door) up, so the cable can be behind the support bracket.

19 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't see how that is possible.

The bracket is just a strip less than an inch thick, the space behind it is completely open: there’s no bar or anything there that holds the GPU, it just rests on the strip (or a “nub” that extends from the bracket) to prevent sag. Everything behind the bracket is completely open.

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The bracket is just a strip less than an inch thick, the space behind it is completely open: there’s no bar or anything there that holds the GPU, it just rests on the strip (or a “nub” that extends from the bracket) to prevent sag. Everything behind the bracket is completely open.

Hold a pen up under the edge of your video card (going length-wise towards the front and back of your case) closest to the case door, if the cable isn’t affected by the pen, then it’s unlikely that a support bracket will affect it either.

20 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The bracket is just a strip less than an inch thick, the space behind it is completely open: there’s no bar or anything there that holds the GPU, it just rests on the strip to prevent sag.

But, how would the cable plug into the GPU unless I come from the top?

16 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Hold a pen up under the edge of your video card (going length-wise) closest to the case, if the cable isn’t affected by the pen, then it’s unlikely that a support bracket will affect it either.

It isn't the length that's an issue, but the width of the front-facing part.

Like, look at this. How do you get the cable thru the support bracket? I am failing to understand.

wcWzbkX.png

72WE7hr.png

H7sBhEk.png

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

But, how would the cable plug into the GPU unless I come from the top?

It isn't the length that's an issue, but the width of the front-facing part.

Like, look at this. How do you get the cable thru the support bracket? I am failing to understand.

wcWzbkX.png

72WE7hr.png

H7sBhEk.png

There’s a space on that bracket where you can feed the plug since it uses a raised nub, or you can come from under the bracket.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

There’s a space on that bracket where you can feed the plug since it uses a raised nub, or you can come from under the bracket.

Well, that is assuming the gap would be big enough. And coming from under the bracket is the problem since I'm not sure it'd reach.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

This is mine:

Well, I guess if I got a shorter one like yours I wouldn't have an issue... maybe lol.

I'm assuming what you got there is the https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Colorful-Graphics-Support-Bracket/dp/B084S7X2W8/

Or something pretty close to it.

11 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Well, that is assuming the gap would be big enough. And coming from under the bracket is the problem since I'm not sure it'd reach.

There’s enough space for the wires, the plug may not fit through after install which is why you have the plug in the video card already and/or pulled through prior to screwing in the bracket. I have a triple 8-pin lian-li RGB cable I adapted to the 12 pin or I’d have mine pulled through.

Well, I guess if I got a shorter one like yours I wouldn't have an issue... maybe lol.

I'm assuming what you got there is the https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Colorful-Graphics-Support-Bracket/dp/B084S7X2W8/

Or something pretty close to it.

Bracket length wouldn’t matter, you just go underneath, through, or over.

and that setup is hella based

What?

Bracket length wouldn’t matter, you just go underneath.

It matters if the length is short enough that the cable doesn't have to pass over it. Then there wouldn't be any issue. Again what I'm worried about is the height.

6eca84138969b9fe095fb283679b6561.png

That 42.2mm.

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

What?

I said it's hella based.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

It matters if the length is short enough that the cable doesn't have to pass over it. Then there wouldn't be any issue. Again what I'm worried about is the height.

6eca84138969b9fe095fb283679b6561.png

That 42.2mm.

No, the length doesn’t matter when this is the amount of space you have between the video card and the actual support on the one you were looking at:

IMG-9432.jpg

I said it's hella based.

Uh-huh. And again, “what?”

No, the length doesn’t matter when this is the amount of space you have between the video card and the actual support on the one you were looking at:

but my cable is very taut and I don't know if the curve would prevent a pass-thru

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Uh-huh. And again, “what?”

it's

hella based

but my cable is very taut and I don't know if the curve would prevent a pass-thru

Make it less taught then, or, because it’s covering the same distance, it won’t matter. :p 

it's

hella based

Elaborate or you’re just hella jealous 

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Here, I included 3 options without going from the top that won’t go in front of the bracket:

IMG-9432.jpg

:p 

and coming from the side would make me need more length

I'm just sayin', I have strong doubts I won't encounter some kind of problem.