Bacon wins contest!

stepee

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I can't install the msi center software. It installs, but it's nowhere to be found.

You could try to install from the windows store, it’s there as well. Also could check event viewer to see if an error is getting thrown out.

• stepee 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

You could try to install from the windows store, it’s there as well. Also could check event viewer to see if an error is getting thrown out.

No joke, but just now, AFTER 8 HOURS, WIndows 10 has updated enough that it detected and installed my MMO mouse drivers and my MSI MOBO SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

No joke, but just now, AFTER 8 HOURS, WIndows 10 has updated enough that it detected and installed my MMO mouse drivers and my MSI MOBO SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man it must have been updating the FUCK out of things - pumped it’s finally working right - hope the motherboard wifi works after 

• stepee 1

Just now, stepee said:

man it must have been updating the FUCK out of things - pumped it’s finally working right - hope the motherboard wifi works after 

It already does :cool:

LAN doesn't but that might be because I disabled the lan controller in BIOS. I was told to try that from an old reddit post.

Ight, everything that needs to be on my desk is on it. I think I'll upgrade to windows 11 now.

Eh, or maybe not. Think I might just wait until they announce no more free upgrades now that my PC is setup lul.

Also, while I thought the CPU seemed hot at idle, staying around 39-40c, in FFXIV it only got as high as 60 but 90% of the time it stayed at 57, including in very populated areas.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

He got a free copy with his new GPU, therefore I’ll take the copy you were about to offer him

Reveal hidden contents

lol well that is good then! I’m personally pumped for it

• stepee 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

Just now, Spork3245 said:

I’m actually not big on dark souls type games so please don’t take my joke seriously btw :p 

naaa after buying two full gaming pcs yall cut off this year lol

• stepee 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I have a lot of hope for 15th gen Intel

True, hopefully they don’t set on fire - I’m not going to do anything until the 5090 myself because I’m going to be lazy and just have it all prebuilt together - at least reports about Intel should be out and maybe even x3D zen5 already out to properly compare tho the latter. is sounding very meh

• stepee 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

True, hopefully they don’t set on fire - I’m not going to do anything until the 5090 myself because I’m going to be lazy and just have it all prebuilt together - at least reports about Intel should be out and maybe even x3D zen5 already out to properly compare tho the latter. is sounding very meh

The 13th/14th gen issue had a lot to do with them trying to “super-charge” the chips to compete with AMD and the x3D cache, not dissimilar to when Intel frankenstein’d PCIE Gen 4 into 11th gen. 15th/16th gen looks to be a very different approach with a new take on cache and other aspects.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

"i don't care about rgb"

"i don't care about what the guts look like"

buys fishtank case with preinstalled rgb fans

buy rgb ram

buys rgb aio

You need to replace that exhaust fan with an rgb one 

:sickos:

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

You need to replace that exhaust fan with an rgb one 

:sickos:

I have a pack of 3 fans in my cart, but fuck am I not in the mood to start adding in. I will one day get another 2TB SSD tho.  I'll prolly add fans then.

I'm actually going to make a whole blog post about building my PC when I'm caught up on my FFXIV chores.

3 minutes ago, Best said:

@Bacon Have you tried any graphic intensive games yet? I'm really glad to hear FF14 runs smoothly for you. 

nope

i have elex 2 installed to play tho

i literally could not hit 60fps in the game on my old pc

best I ever got was 39-44fps

I'll install bg3 at somepoint tho

• Halal 1

It’s story time, with me, Bacon. (Not proof read lol)

So, on Monday, I got all of the parts and got ready to build. But before any building got done I really needed to clean up my desk to build on which then led to cleaning up the whole room because it would just make the building experience better. After 2-3 hours of cleaning and relocating stuff into another room, I finally got to building my PC

The build process was very slow. I try to be very careful and I often feel the need to take “breathers” after every part that gets installed in some fashion. Considering most stuff when right, as the PC posted first try, I only have like 4 things to rant about.

This case was a major pain in my ass to build in. The sole reason is the stupid cable management bar (CMB). You can see it next to the 3 pre-installed case fans. Or maybe, rather than the case, I should blame the Motherboard. You see, the 3 most pain in the ass cables, the 24-pin connector, the USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A front I/O connector, and the USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C connector, are installed by going under the CMB. I’ll mention the type-c later, but this is mostly the type-a. Never in my life have I had such a hard time installing a cable into the motherboard. And the problem comes from the CMB preventing any kind of real fine maneuvering and the port on the board being in a horizontal position. Please look at these expertly crafted images for a visual guide.

Here is what a “vertical” port would look like and how the able would stick out and up. It is exactly how the 24-pin connector is arranged.

YwgCqyP.png

Here is the horizontal port. The port that I have. As you can see, the cord doesn’t stick up and seems like it would lay flat.

vzfHMFT.png

This port is accessed by fishing the cable under the CMB. The cable, of course, wants to be as straight as possible. So comes out of the CMB area kinda like this. 

XpM3IHW.png

While I’m sure you can tell exactly what the problem is from my top tier paint skill, let me go on. What this means is that I need to bend the cable, just at the tip, by 90 degrees. Like this.

EeQej4U.png

The problem is that the CMB basically prevents that. There is not enough room. The cable is prevented from bending. I can’t really describe it better, sorry lol. So, what I have to do is this.

gP8foxS.png

I got both arms wrapped around my pc. With my right hand, I am pushing the cable into an L shape so the tip of it is flat with the motherboard. With my left hand, I am using my index finger and thumb like a claw to guide the head into the port. See this image.

eM0BNwV.png

Now, you might be thinking, ok problem solved but that hard part was actually just plugging it in. It took me forever to actually perfectly line up the head with the port, and all this time I’m getting so frustrated and I was super worried I’d bend the pins and totally fuck up those usb ports forever. After 45 minutes of this, if not longer, I finally find the sweet spot and it goes in. What I was doing wrong was that I was aiming too high. Like this.

Jbf1UR3.png

Despite the cable looking like it fits into the port just fine, you can see how the penis pins don’t exactly line up with the holes. From the outside, it looks like it should go in, but I’m just ever so slightly off. I needed to aim lower.

The next big issue I had, which took me over an hour and a half to stop being an idiot and use some creative thinking, felt like it was a build killer. Like I was going to have to wait until the next day, get some isopropyl alcohol, and try again outside the case. I had one hell of an awful time installing the AIO pump on the CPU. I believed that I would have an easier time, especially with this case and how you can remove the thing the radiator screws into, If I put the AIO in last. It would also be easier to cable manage if I did that last. That is still true overall, but for me and my terrible building skills, I should have done it outside the case. However, I had everything but the AIO and GPU connected to the mobo at this point. I was not willing to go through putting in that usb connector again.

You see, I had this strange issue of being unable to screw in both sides of the pump. What would happen is that I would barely tighten the one side, and then I would be totally unable to screw in the other side. It felt like I needed to, somehow, screw in both screws at the exact same time. I could start with either side just fine. It wasn’t like there was something actually wrong with the screws. I just could not get the opposite side in. The other thumb screw would just spin and spin.

And I’m here forever trying to do this. The thermal paste is totally smeared all over the CPU at this point, like I applied it with a brush. Meanwhile, I am constantly fighting the tubes because they are so stiff and all they want to do is slide forward and be straight instead of bent. I am constantly pushing back or holding the pump down which is really making everything worse. My chest is hurting from how frustrated I’m getting, and that same frustration is causing me to sweat like a cold can of mello yello on a hot day. I’m sweating so much it’s forming salt crystals on my forehead.

At some point, I get this idea in my head. Unscrew the bottom mounting brackets and attach the mounting bracket to the pump with the thumb screw, then attach the pump to the still installed top bracket and then, re-screw in the bottom mounting brackets. Of course, I know better than to fully screw in either thumb screw still. I still want the thumbscrews to be the last screws fully tightened. Why? Because that is what the instructions say to do. To remove the brackets that come with the mobo, replace with the provided bracket and screw them into place, apply thermal paste to the CPU, place down the pump, and then finally attach the pump to the mounting brackets. That same reasoning of “follow the instructions” is why I didn’t do that idea when I first thought of it. I was about 50 minutes in when I thought of it but didn’t do it until I was so damn tired and had to try something else.

Now I made this image but let me give you a guide first.

The curved black things are the brackets.

The red circles are the screws that screw the brackets to the mobo.
The grey circles are the standoffs that the thumbscrews that are attached to the pump screw onto.
The thing in the middle is the cpu :p

u4JdNV3.png

What I did was remove the two red screws from the bottom bracket. I then attached the bracket to the pump like this.

jj9AGYX.png

After that, I attached the top side as instructed, but then I screwed in the bottom bracket to the mobo. And like that, the AIO was fully installed. Honestly, seeing as it seems to be cooling fine if I ever have to reinstall the AIO, I’ll just to both sides the “bacon way”. It will be so much easier for me.

And as a side note, the included thermal paste fucking sucks. I have never used such thick paste in my life. It was like like trying to extrude chewed-up gum onto my CPU and yet I had such a hard time trying to get the paste to stick to the cpu instead of being FULLY removed because I somehow didn’t fully break a microscopic thread of paste that was still attached to the tube.

Anyway, this is just part 1. I’ll have a smaller part 2 posted later tonight. Here is a sneak peek.

ltVtyDv.png

• Sicko 1
  • Hugs 1

I pretty much only buy cooler master cases now due to how easy they are to build in. Every time I try a different brand I send it back because it winds up being a POS, that includes NZXT and Fractal. I haven’t tried Corsair but I heard their newest case is f’n garbage.

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I pretty much only buy cooler master cases now due to how easy they are to build in. Every time I try a different brand I send it back because it winds up being a POS, that includes NZXT and Fractal. I haven’t tried Corsair but I heard their newest case is f’n garbage.

I mean, really, aside from the CMB, it's quite easy to build in. Have to do a lot of fishing of cables thru holes, but that is because this is a case all about cable management. You can even take the top of the case off and screw the AIO directly into it so you don't have to do that thing where you hold the AIO up with one hand in screw it in with the other. All of the installed case fans are pre-wired to a pre-installed fan controller. Both side panels are very easy to remove. The front one isn't tho. Got a bunch of screws for that one so I let it stay on during the build.