Any of you guys play No Man's Sky lately?

Best

Apparently this game has had massive updates throughout the years to the point that it's now considered a masterpiece...

The reviews for it in 2024 are all outstanding and that it's what Starfield was trying to be. I see it's on steam for about $24 but I'm interested if any of you guys have recently played it?

12 hours ago, Best said:

Apparently this game has had massive updates throughout the years to the point that it's now considered a masterpiece...

The reviews for it in 2024 are all outstanding and that it's what Starfield was trying to be. I see it's on steam for about $24 but I'm interested if any of you guys have recently played it?

Olympic Games Sport GIF by NBC Olympics

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It has VR support now and they just released a huge update a week or two ago.

That being said I've never played it.

I played it at launch. Honestly I had totally forgot it even existed.  

Somehow the game still feels like, hollow, to me. The visuals and vibe carry it a while for me every time I retry it, but it’s like a jack of all trades master of none for me. 

Someday I’ll boot it up and try again I’m sure. Maybe it’ll click. 

40 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I almost bought it on CDKeys this week.  I keep hearing such good things about it from a small group of people.  I'm just not sure if it would be my kind of game.

I went ahead and bought it on sale on Steam. I haven't tried it yet but I'll post my impressions in here as soon as I do. 

Jesus Christ is the game extremely detailed and monotonous. You start off on an unknown planet with a damaged ship. I have played over 2 hours and still haven't gotten my ship fixed. You have to collect so many resources to get anything done.

Everything you do is affected by replenishing resources to maintain anything. So I chose to play on normal so I said to myself, maybe if I play the relaxed mode it wouldn't be this detailed.

Nope. On relax mode it's the same exact situation.

I had to turn it off because I didn't understand how to create something the menu was asking. 

It looks great and has a lot of potential. But the resource management is way over the top. 

There should be a tutorial on game mechanics in the very beginning.

I finally fixed my ship and then took off to leave the planet. Then more information is thrown at you with no explanations and I'm stuck again. :|

I actually just re-installed it recently. My last save was from 2019 and had ~50 hours in it, but I decided to start fresh.

I agree with @Best that the game continues to be very obtuse. Even having put so many hours into it, I find myself constantly needing to Google how to do things, and even with my experience I still stumble into mechanics I hadn't realized were there.

Overall, I find that the game continues to be both extremely impressive and disappointing at the same time. There are lots of places where the variety now really lives up to the initial hype and potential. Planets feel more varied than ever with their flora and fauna. Ships come in more shapes and sizes than ever. There is more to do in base building and with exocraft than ever. There are more activities and plot lines to follow than ever.

At the same time, plenty of things have so little variety that it really detract from the experience. You find the same small handful of buildings on all planets and do the same small set of activities. Even in things that seem like they could be easily randomized are oddly static, like crashed freighters have their scattered cargo in the exact same configuration every time.

I did two derelict freighter missions and they were entirely identical. Same names of crew, same door layouts, same everything. Maybe there are different variations of that mission, because it seems to be some thing they want you to do all the time, but it doesn't bode well that I could have identical experiences. It seems like current NMS is amazing at the large scale procedural stuff, but they never got any good at the small things, which are so much of what you actually interact with.

There is something compelling about a lot of it though, even if it still doesn't nail the whole experience. It's very much like a single player MMO (but with optional multi-player). There are a ton of systems and a million things that you could be doing at any time.

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I actually just re-installed it recently. My last save was from 2019 and had ~50 hours in it, but I decided to start fresh.

I agree with @Best that the game continues to be very obtuse. Even having put so many hours into it, I find myself constantly needing to Google how to do things, and even with my experience I still stumble into mechanics I hadn't realized were there.

Overall, I find that the game continues to be both extremely impressive and disappointing at the same time. There are lots of places where the variety now really lives up to the initial hype and potential. Planets feel more varied than ever with their flora and fauna. Ships come in more shapes and sizes than ever. There is more to do in base building and with exocraft than ever. There are more activities and plot lines to follow than ever.

At the same time, plenty of things have so little variety that it really detract from the experience. You find the same small handful of buildings on all planets and do the same small set of activities. Even in things that seem like they could be easily randomized are oddly static, like crashed freighters have their scattered cargo in the exact same configuration every time.

I did two derelict freighter missions and they were entirely identical. Same names of crew, same door layouts, same everything. Maybe there are different variations of that mission, because it seems to be some thing they want you to do all the time, but it doesn't bode well that I could have identical experiences. It seems like current NMS is amazing at the large scale procedural stuff, but they never got any good at the small things, which are so much of what you actually interact with.

There is something compelling about a lot of it though, even if it still doesn't nail the whole experience. It's very much like a single player MMO (but with optional multi-player). There are a ton of systems and a million things that you could be doing at any time.

Thanks a lot for this post. I actually kinda just gave up on it to be honest. Too many great games to be played to waste time on this. 

30 minutes ago, Best said:

Thanks a lot for this post. I actually kinda just gave up on it to be honest. Too many great games to be played to waste time on this. 

That beginning where you have to find materials to fix your ship is confusing as hell. I remember it was very frustrating. The entire game never seemed fun and that's why I never returned to it no matter how many updates. 

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

That beginning where you have to find materials to fix your ship is confusing as hell. I remember it was very frustrating. The entire game never seemed fun and that's why I never returned to it no matter how many updates. 

Well the updated previews and reviews of the game in 2024 make it sound like it's a absolute must play! It's too focused on resource management for it to be enjoyable.

• True 1

11 minutes ago, Best said:

Well the updated previews and reviews of the game in 2024 make it sound like it's a absolute must play! It's too focused on resource management for it to be enjoyable.

game sucks confirmed 

• True 1

Steam says I have 187 hours logged :p It's been some time since I've played it -- they are many updates past my last boot -- but their continual updates did often bring me back.

The criticisms about it being aimless are valid, but there is still something appealing about just wandering the galaxy. There's not many games that replicate the feeling I get when I'm on a planet surface looking up at  my star fleet, and then changing positions to walking on the surface of a frigate looking down at my base on the planet it's orbiting and doing it all with seamless transitions.

There is an unbelievable game waiting to be built on this incredibly complex foundation. Although figuring out just how to do it does seem tricky.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Not anymore.  CDKeys has it for just a bit more (although it was cheaper there over the weekend).

Well it's over priced at even $10. 

26 minutes ago, Best said:

Well it's over priced at even $10. 

It's cool if you don't like it and certainly you shouldn't pay any money for something you don't enjoy, but I don't think you can make this argument that it's overpriced. I don't think there has been any game ever released that has had as many and as significant free upgrades as this game. The complexity and amount of work of the developers put into it is tremendous. The developers should be praised for such unheard of support.

• stepee 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know how much longer the game can keep it up, but even though I have my issues with the game, it is really keeping my interest for now. I think it's easily worth the money for a full priced game. For myself, the gameplay loop is satisfying because it's always changing and because it's always changing. There are always multiple major goals I'm chasing, and going after any one of them always sends me down a different rabbit hole of things to do, and while doing any single step in any one of those paths there are always multiple opportunities to get sidetracked and pick up some other resources or upgrades or something.

There also remains something magical about the size of the game and freedom of continual travel around and between planets. I put more time into Starfield than most here, and I didn't really complain about the constant loading much, but to come back to NMS it's kind of a revelation. It's so great to just pick up and fly half way around a planet or a solar system for any reason. Maybe I'm hunting for some resource and the terrain is kind of mountainous. Well, I can just fly around and find a flat spot or a flatter planet. If I'm looking for a specific building, I don't need to get out on foot and use the scanner and walk there, I can just fly my ship around and spot it from the air. Now there are exocraft as well, and they've made the spawning building pretty cheap, so I can just land somewhere, hop in my rover, and drive for a while to pick up some ancient bones or scrap data, or whatever. It's such an incredible freedom that is unmatched in gaming.

I'm only scratching the surface of what to do with my freighter and building mining bases and I've only done a few nexus quests and now I have an outpost that opened up a whole new quest line and I haven't even tried out expeditions yet. They've really added a ton to do and most of it is pretty well done. So yeah, it has some issues with depth, and resource management is much of the game, but it has some wonderful upsides that remain unique in games.

• stepee 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

It's cool if you don't like it and certainly you shouldn't pay any money for something you don't enjoy, but I don't think you can make this argument that it's overpriced. I don't think there has been any game ever released that has had as many and as significant free upgrades as this game. The complexity and amount of work of the developers put into it is tremendous. The developers should be praised for such unheard of support.

I was being a smart ass with my comment. It's a very indepth game that is probably really rewarding once you spend time with it and learn. 

It's just not worth my time is all. :p

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

Yeah they deserve all the praise 

Spoiler

for making an ass game 

9 hours ago, tgo said:

yeah not enough.  5-10 for this kind of game.  

Well like Legend said above, you get a lot of content for the price. It has litteraly turned into the game they promised back in 2016.

But I understand your view. 

I'm willing to pay $5 for a game just to see what's its about, even if I suspect it won't be for me.

If I'm dropping over $20, I want it to be a game I'm pretty sure I will enjoy.  It doesn't matter if it has 200 hours of content, if the content isn't for me.

• True 1