The Russo Brothers return to direct Marvel Studios’ Avengers: Doomsday, starring Robert Downey Jr. as Doctor Doom! + Avengers Secret Wars in May 2027!

WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

284K likes, 5,359 comments - marvelstudios on July 27, 2024: "Just announced in Hall H:    The Russo Brothers return to direct Marvel Studios’ Avengers: Doomsday...

WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

391K likes, 2,637 comments - marvelstudios on July 27, 2024: "Just announced in Hall H:    The Russo Brothers return to direct Marvel Studios’ Avengers: Secret Wars. Only in theaters May 2027.  #SDCC".

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

• Pikachu changed the title to The Russo Brothers return to direct Marvel Studios’ Avengers: Doomsday, starring Robert Downey Jr. as Doctor Doom! + Avengers Secret Wars in May 2027!
8 minutes ago, johnny said:

lol of course. mcu desperate to have RDJ back. lowkey embarrassing 

This is my reaction as well. The Russo's have supported AI generated storytelling and BS marketing schemes like their cynically made international TV series Citadel as well as their terrible films they've made since Endgame; Cherry and The Gray Man. I loved their work, their four films in the MCU are great but since then they've really lost my respect. It's so amazing how much craft they lost somehow after Endgame, I was so impressed with Winder Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame. I saw some cracks with Endgame but I didn't expect their talent to fall off a cliff. The Gray Man is literally everything wrong with streaming movies, stuff like it and Red Notice are algorithmically driven drivel. 

WWW.POLYGON.COM

There are too many spies on TV to bother with these two, unfortunately

WWW.INDIEWIRE.COM

The Russo Brothers studio AGBO is launching a new Innovation department.

So I don't know, kind of not liking the vibes here. It just seems like money and fame have somewhat corrupted their artistic abilities. I miss when they did excellent episodes of Arrested Development and Community. 

• Hugs 1

30 minutes ago, Brick said:

How?! Multiverse shenanigans I presume. Does this also mean they're ditching Kang instead of recasting him? 

Alternate Tony Stark as Doom is my guess. Probably from this storyline...

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/34086/what-if-iron-man-demon-in-an-armor-2010-1

Lol at some of the comments in here. Folks are legit excited about this everywhere else... Well D1P gonna D1p...

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, Brick said:

How?! Multiverse shenanigans I presume. Does this also mean they're ditching Kang instead of recasting him? 

definitely sounds like it. Not sure how I feel about Stark Doom. Pretty sure it happened in the comics, but RDJ playing him almost feels wrong but does mean he will have been in all the Avenger flicks. And seriously how much did they have to shell out to for him? 

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:
4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Most of them didn't see Cherry or The Gray Man

I saw the Grey Man. What's Cherry?

3 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

definitely sounds like it. Not sure how I feel about Stark Doom. Pretty sure it happened in the comics,

It did... MArvel has been raising Doom's profile in the comics again recently. There was a Doom one-shot, that came out a xcouple of months back that was really hot and sold out almost immediately. Also in the current Ultimate Avenger's Comic, Doom is actually Reed Richards and the Avengers are led by a teenaged Tony Stark.  So they are leaning in to this multiverse thing big time on screen and in print.

• stepee 1

My manager at work said he heard a rumour in the past about RDJ being brought back as a Kang variant. I guess that was before Marvel dropped Jonathan Majors and decided to pivot to Dr. Doom. 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Brick said:

My manager at work said he heard a rumour in the past about RDJ being brought back as a Kang variant. I guess that was before Marvel dropped Jonathan Majors and decided to pivot to Dr. Doom. 

Kang and Doom are distant relatives in the comic, or were at one point before the retcon. Now I think Kang is a distant relative of Tony Stark's... who can keep track these days. Comics...

6 hours ago, Brick said:

I think this is most likely what is going on. As proposed by someone on resetera:

• Fantastic Four will reveal the MCU Doom (likely in a stinger, or just as Victor von Doom without the mask)
  • Doomsday will be a re-written Kang Dynasty, with dozens of Doom variants vying for control of the multiverse. One will be RDJ (perhaps main antagonist). The MCU Doom will be the one who wins
  • Secret Wars will be the MCU Doom orchestrating everything, and we'll see the Fantastic Four merge universes with the MCU, along with maybe the X-Men?
  • Hype 1

If it’s a Doctor Doom variant I’m all for it. But it seems like they’re specifically saying he’s playing Victor Von Doom and not “Tony Stark who became Doctor Doom because he failed to save Pepper in Iron Man 3”.

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Cherry was a movie the Russo's made after Endgame but before The Gray Man. It is pretty bad - a lot of weird stylistic choices and attempts at something "harder" for Tom Holland, who stars in the film, but it all ends up not amounting to much. The Gray Man is such a cynical and poorly shot film that I almost can't believe the people who tried to emulate the fights from The Raid into The Winter Soldier made it. I don't necessarily agree with everything Willems says in his video film essays but I usually do. I really liked Ambulance until the last 15 minutes but I don't think I was as high on it as he was. Anyway, I timestamped it (at 8:33) to start where he starts talking about The Gray Man (in comparison to Ambulance) for anyone interested because I think he nails it on the head. The Gray Man part is just a couple of minutes, though he does bring it up again a few times in the rest of the video for those interested in more.

• Hugs 1

I don’t particularly care about the MCU any more, but I haven’t become a true hater (yet :p) so I’m having a hard time getting fired up about this in either direction. My biggest hope is that this doesn’t take up too much of RDJ’s time. I want more Oppenheimer/The Sympathizer type stuff from him. 

I have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, this is the further comics-ization of comic movies. Everything at some point comes back around again. Nobody stays dead, the more things change the more they stay the same, etc. This isn’t even life imitating art, it’s art imitating art imitating art at this point. That’s fine.

Something like an Avengers movie should exist to just give people what they want. They’re big tentpole, team up, blockbuster movies. So if you’re going to do it at all, fuck it, go big, and it’s hard to imagine something “bigger” in this context than getting RDJ back in the saddle.

I do think this does have a bit of a desparate odor, though. The “superhero fatigue” stuff is overstated to some extent; it looks like Deadpool & Wolverine will do very well. That said it’s also clear that there’s either less wheat to be found with the chaff or its taking more effort to so the sorting. So with that in mind it probably makes more sense for them to do absolutely everything they can to ensure that they’ll see a positive ROI on a movie or two that will certainly cost the better part of $1B to make and market. Doesn’t say anything great about their confidence though.

Anyway I’d love to finally see a non-shitty Doctor Doom on screen, please save us RDJ.

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I don’t particularly care about the MCU any more, but I haven’t become a true hater (yet :p) so I’m having a hard time getting fired up about this in either direction. My biggest hope is that this doesn’t take up too much of RDJ’s time. I want more Oppenheimer/The Sympathizer type stuff from him. 

Gotta be careful what you wish for; historically we’re more likely to get a Dolittle than we are either of those. :p

10 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Gotta be careful what you wish for; historically we’re more likely to get a Dolittle than we are either of those. :p

That’s what I’m saying, he’s on a roll now! No more Dolittle or The Judge. 

10 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It did... MArvel has been raising Doom's profile in the comics again recently. There was a Doom one-shot, that came out a xcouple of months back that was really hot and sold out almost immediately. Also in the current Ultimate Avenger's Comic, Doom is actually Reed Richards and the Avengers are led by a teenaged Tony Stark.  So they are leaning in to this multiverse thing big time on screen and in print.

but I don't think this is going to be Tony Stark as the Russo's said only one man could play Victor Von Doom when they introduced him or did Stark go by VVD? 

2 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

but I don't think this is going to be Tony Stark as the Russo's said only one man could play Victor Von Doom when they introduced him or did Stark go by VVD? 

I didn't read that story. He could just be playing Victor Von Doom which would be fine. Iron Man and Doom have a long history with each other despite Doom being primarily a Fantastic Four villain and there's a number of Doom storylines they could go with. Honestly I think Doom makes a better big bad than Kang anyway so this works out best.

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

I liked when the rumor was Mads Mikkelsen

Although he would have made an AMAZING Doom to be honest.

It is interesting… but leaves open a few questions.

Is this Dr Doom “wont ever take off his mask so the actor playing him doesnt matter”… doubtful

is this a Stark variant being Dr Doom which can have interest story applications but also highlights how no stakes really matter cause “multiverse”

hopefully they are smart enough not to have a chunk if the movie having folks decipher who Doom is..  cause having characters investigate a mystery whose answer the audience already knows just makes the hero look dumb and incompetent as they spin themselves around in circles (Arkham Knight identity idiocy)

either way RDJ is a bad choice on the surface, they should have leveraged someone else.. Norton would have worked cause Doom will be the center of attention and give his ego the stroke and importance he feels he deserves

So my thoughts are as follows, aside from THIS FUCKING ROCKS!

• Russo's said they were drained creatively (it showed) let's hope their tanks are refueled.
  • This buys Marvel TIME
  • THIS IS HOW WE GET MUTANTS
  • Between F4, Doomsday, Secret Wars, plus the already established multiverse, we'll see a world wherein Mutants exist and this us the crux (IMO).
  • WE GET TO WITNESS RED HULK V BANNER HULK!! Money already set aside for the cost of the tickets on this alone.
  • Please bring us White Suit Doom killing Thanos.
  • What if these new Mutants will be sorta like the MCU version of Ultimates? (To me, this now officially announces that there's comic Canon and MCU Canon)