Uzumaki is actually coming out and it's only a two months away...

• 2 months later...

Watched the first episode.  The animation is quite good and is probably the closest you’re going to get to recreating Junji Ito’s style in motion without hand drawing every frame.  At times it’s a little too smooth and obviously computer generated, but otherwise it’s quite good.

It manages to be unsettling which I suppose is the best you’re going to get out of this.  The problem with Uzumaki and a lot of Ito’s work in general is that it’s ultimately kind of goofy.  It largely works as a manga because you get the shocking page turn graphic and his drawings are so detailed and grotesque that you can stare at them and they keep their impact.  In motion they have to lose some of the deeper detail and your imagination has to do less work.  The first episode is still in the very early stages that have some of the best imagery and haven’t gone as full blown absurd as the story ultimately gets.  I’ll keep watching it, and it’s worth checking it out if the vibe of the trailer piques your interest.

I don't have Max and I don't really care to give WB any money, so I have yet to watch any of this, but it seems like we've got some vague answers for the troubled production...

WWW.CBR.COM

The executive producer of Uzumaki reveals what went wrong with the anime version of Junji Ito's famous horror story after Episode 2's drop in quality.

If this is the executive producer talking then I'm guessing they got a lot of their budget pulled. It's not a wild assumption to make that this was all some WB bullshit.

Yeah, I haven’t gotten around to posting about it yet, but there’s a pretty distinct drop for episode two.  I get putting your best foot forward and all, but it’s a pretty disappointing episode.  

I should reread the manga because I can’t tell if my memory is crap or if they’re moving through this very quickly.

16 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Yeah, I haven’t gotten around to posting about it yet, but there’s a pretty distinct drop for episode two.  I get putting your best foot forward and all, but it’s a pretty disappointing episode.  

I should reread the manga because I can’t tell if my memory is crap or if they’re moving through this very quickly.

Uzumaki is 20 chapters long. 4 episodes would already be pretty brisk for an action series, let alone a horror. I had always assumed they were just planning to skip some events to cut things down so much. The movie was even more rushed with an even shorter run time than the anime is going to get.

Junji Ito really does have the worst luck. The easiest of his works to adapt would be Tomie, but who knows where those right lie seeing as they are last owned by fucking Quibi.

I also think you could make an awesome Gyo animated or, better yet, stop motion. Also, what 2012 movie? I don't remember anything like that.

I didn’t know it was only four episodes.  

I don’t love the end of Uzumaki, but I have no idea where you leave it off in the middle that has it make any sense at all.  Then again, making sense and Uzumaki are distant cousins at best.

• True 1

49 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I didn’t know it was only four episodes.  

I don’t love the end of Uzumaki, but I have no idea where you leave it off in the middle that has it make any sense at all.  Then again, making sense and Uzumaki are distant cousins at best.

It being only 4 episodes is why I'm assuming the executive producer complaining about getting screwed means this was WB being awful with their creatives. A short, 4 episode anime doesn't hit production woes one episode in outside of the control of the producers, directors, and animators unless it's studio fuckery.

If you only have 4 episodes, why not just make a movie?

I was planning on watching this at some point... is the drop off in quality enough that it's not worth it? I guess I'll wait and see what the opinions are of the entire series.

4 minutes ago, ihavebigtitties said:

I’d argue for something as atmospheric as Uzumaki it’s pretty damn important.

Berserk is equally important in terms of atmosphere. I believe there are other ways to get around a low animation budget to effectively convey the same ideas, you just have to get really creative. In Berserk 1997, it was incredible music, sparse dialogue and aggressively oppressive animation.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Berserk is equally important in terms of atmosphere. I believe there are other ways to get around a low animation budget to effectively convey the same ideas, you just have to get really creative. In Berserk 1997, it was incredible music, sparse dialogue and aggressively oppressive animation.

To me Berserk and Uzumaki are distinct in that atmosphere and tone are important to Berserk but the plot and characters are equally of value.  I would watch a poorly animated Berserk and still get something out of it.

Once you remove the horror imagery of Uzumaki you have… some really stupid nonsense.  Imagine watching The Fly if Jeff Goldblum just kept putting on more pieces of a spirit Halloween costume.  Sure, there’s a bit of horror to be had in the situation, but without the visual gut punch it’s not carrying a film.

Uzumaki poorly drawn or animated has basically nothing going for it.  The manga has one hand, but it plays it well enough.  Take that hand away and there’s just nothing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well I’m not much of a manga girlie I just love Uzumaki, so I can only speak to what I know. But the executive producer says the animation after episode one is rushed and is unhappy with how it turned out, and many others agree so I don’t know what to say. Episode one isn’t even perfect IMO but the quality of the animation is the main thing it has going for it.

Adapting Uzumaki into any other medium was always going to be an uphill battle because it’s such an effective use of the medium. The silent, still pictures create an eeriness that just can’t be replicated in a format with sound and movement. I remain unconvinced it should have ever been done in the first place.