Coordinated arson attacks strike French rail network before Olympics opening ceremony

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Prosecutors open formal investigation after coordinated attacks cause severe disruption on France’s busiest lines

Prosecutors have opened a formal investigation after saboteurs attacked France’s high-speed railway network in a series of “malicious acts” that brought chaos to the country’s busiest rail lines hours before the Olympics opening ceremony.

The state-owned railway operator, SNCF, said arsonists targeted installations along the high-speed TGV lines connecting Paris with the country’s west, north and east, and traffic would be severely disrupted across the country during the weekend.

“This is a massive attack on a large scale to paralyse the TGV network,” the SNCF said, adding that many services would have to be cancelled and the situation would last “at least all weekend while repairs are conducted”.

The Paris public prosecutor, Laure Beccuau, said an investigation had been launched into “deliberate damage of property likely to harm the fundamental interests of the nation” and criminal association.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Russia?

They said something briefly about arresting one individual related to russia trying to cause disruption but that it wasn’t tied to that particular incident. I think it might just be local protest 

One sentiment I’ve heard is people who actually live here being annoyed by the restrictions of where they can go and when etc due to the blockades and increased security. I wonder if it has anything to do with that 

33 minutes ago, stepee said:

they definitely have no idea where my laundry is atm so the story is still developing 

Why is your laundry ass to mouth? :s

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Idk they had to shut down half the city for like two months just to have a few boats to go by 

No idea what this is like for people living in the city, but I think it's makes for pretty good TV. Finding it a lot more interesting than I typically find opening ceremonies.

9 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

No idea what this is like for people living in the city, but I think it's makes for pretty good TV. Finding it a lot more interesting than I typically find opening ceremonies.

Even visiting the city it was quite annoying but I imagine for people living it was even more so. Hostesses and drivers complained about it anyway. But maybe it was good for some people.