Summer Games 2024

69los

8 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Oh yeah, almost forgot about the scandal to start the games: the Canadian women's soccer team (the defending gold winners) admitted to spying on other teams with a drone.

Apparently some coaches have been disciplined, but we have yet to see what consequences await the team as a whole.

Head coach has been sent home. Apparently, both men's and women's teams have been doing this. 

I don't typically care about Opening Ceremonies, but I'm working from home and figured they'd be good to have on in the background, and... these kinda kick ass? They're doing the Parade of Nations down the river with each country in its own boat instead of everybody just walking around a track. And there's an Assassin's Creed looking guy doing parkour stuff with the torch.

1 hour ago, Ricofoley said:

I don't typically care about Opening Ceremonies, but I'm working from home and figured they'd be good to have on in the background, and... these kinda kick ass? They're doing the Parade of Nations down the river with each country in its own boat instead of everybody just walking around a track. And there's an Assassin's Creed looking guy doing parkour stuff with the torch.

That's all well and good but nothing beats Gojira and a decapitated monarch

• Halal 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

29 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I still think the very notion of outdoor swimming events in the Seine River -- even after the $1.5 billion clean-up -- is quite frankly insane.

Because of sharks?

WWW.ESPN.COM

If the conditions are deemed unsafe in the famous Paris waterway, the backup plan is to hold the race on Friday. But athletes don't seem concerned.

Each night, as Paris sleeps and the Eiffel Tower stands in darkness, a group of around 15 officials and scientists gathers at the River Seine to take a water sample.

For the duration of the Olympic Games, the group -- consisting of people from World Triathlon, the Paris 2024 organizing committee, the mayor's office and regional officials -- has huddled up on the river as precautions over its water quality hit new levels. The city of Paris has reportedly spent 1.5 billion euros to clean up the river.

The group takes two samples to test the E. coli level each day. The first is at 3:30 a.m. CET, when the only other people around are a handful of ground crews putting together the triathlon pontoon; the other is at 3 p.m. CET.

Those samples have already had an impact.

Both pre-event swim opportunities have been canceled because of concerns over the water's quality. Whether the men's triathlon race will go ahead on Tuesday is yet to be decided.

The results take 24 hours to come back, meaning the sample that will decide whether the men's race will go ahead has already been taken.

The results will be in at 3:30 a.m. with a decision -- which also involves a range of other factors -- made soon after. Should it be declared unsafe, the backup plan is to run the race on Friday.

So far, conditions for the men's race look good. Officials are not concerned about the pollution levels given that two hot days have preceded Tuesday's race. However, rain is forecast for Tuesday morning, with the pollution levels very closely tied to poor weather.

Yeah, as soon as I saw it raining during the opening ceremony, I thought that didn't bode well for those swimming events.

I think that for the most part NBC's coverage has been good this year. Peacock has worked well and the Gold Zone is a fun way to watch olympics in the background.

My one problem with it is that on the west coast you can't access the replay of the primetime show. I assume it's because they don't want people skipping ads. Thankfully the Apple TV now supports VPNs, and after connecting to an end point in New York we could watch the primetime show on EST, skip ads breaks and any events we'd already seen or didn't care for.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Looooove Simone Biles. Whole team is fantastic, but Biles is such a joy to watch. Like, who couldn’t root for her?

Threw shade at a 2020 Tokyo teammate who was talking shit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• stepee 1

On 7/26/2024 at 11:17 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I wasn’t even aware of the opening ceremonies but apparently the conservative Christians in my state are losing their minds over it and boycotting the entire thing. 

Mocking Jesus or something. 

They mocked Leonardo Da Vinci's last supper scene by re-imagagining it with drag queens. 

2 billion Christians were disgusted by it. 

I think I consider myself Christian and that didn't upset me in any way. I look at that stuff as art.

:shrug:

5 hours ago, Best said:

They mocked Leonardo Da Vinci's last supper scene by re-imagagining it with drag queens. 

2 billion Christians were disgusted by it. 

I think I consider myself Christian and that didn't upset me in any way. I look at that stuff as art.

:shrug:

I mean it shouldn't upset anyone, its based of this painting Feast of the Gods, but whatever they complain about everything anyways.

GTlnp4BWwAIs_rH?format=jpg&name=large

1 minute ago, PaladinSolo said:

I mean it shouldn't upset anyone, its based of this painting of the Greek God Dionysus.

GTlnp4BWwAIs_rH?format=jpg&name=large

Is that another rendition of the last supper? I'm confused now.