Had to come to New Mexico for a death in the family

sblfilms

My wife’s uncle, who was the closest thing to a dad she had growing up, just died of some dementia related illness. and man, get bent, dementia. A real bastard of a disease.

My mother in law can’t fly currently due to medical restrictions, so we drove her the 12 hours from Houston to Las Cruces.

Even though I’ve been here dozens of times over the 20 years my wife and I have been married, I had never had a chance to go to White Sands National Park. It was really something to behold. 

And unlike that jerk @gamer.tv, I have included photo evidence of what I saw.

IMG-0760 IMG-0783 IMG-4316

And me with my MIL (left) and two of her sisters. They LOVE me 😂

IMG-4298

New Mexico is honestly a lovely state if you like to experience nature. I think we are going to roll up to Carlsbad early in the morning tomorrow, another thing I’ve never had a chance to see while here.

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 7

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Sorry for your loss. Dementia is such a horrible disease. 

My dad will ultimately suffer this fate. 

I am noticing a lot of cognitive decline and he is starting to call me by my other brothers name's. He is still ok now but it's coming. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

3 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

This why your heart rate fast bro. Too much love in this pic.

Her tias are the best. I'm so sad for tia Carla, she and her husband were married since they were 14, so 60 years now. He was an orphan at the age of 6 and basically lived on the street in Mexico until he was 12 and moved to the US. It actually turned out that he was born in the US and was a US citizen. He eventually became a professional boxer, and later in life was a boxing trainer including for his daughter, who went on to be a top female boxer in her weight class.

30edb94b-0b50-4500-9df3-b9fbce803d38-Delia-2

He was such a sweet man. I still remember the first time we took our boys to visit when John was 3. He spent an hour in the boxing gym they had in their house, showing him boxing moves. John became absolutely obsessed with boxing for like 3 years after that.

I’m very sorry for your loss, it’s such a hard way for a member of the family to go.  I have a bunch of family out in Albuquerque, New Mexico is such a weird but beautiful place at times.  I always wanted to see more of the state but I’m so rarely out there.

• stepee 1

Sorry for your loss. 

On the bright side you did get to experience white sands which is the park I had the most fun in when younger; jumping from the top of the dunes and watching the sun set there is absolutely top tier stuff, I recommend to everyone if you’re able. 

• stepee 1
  • Hugs 1

It was a really lovely week, despite the sad occasion. The family is planning to do a cruise together so that we get together for a happy reason. 

Except for one thing: the last night we were there, one of the cousins had everybody over for dinner. He has a swimming pool and all the kids were swimming. Towards the end of the night, I see one of the little kids (a 3 year old), looking at the pool and I mention to my wife that it looks like he wants to get back in really bad.

His parents are paying literally no attention to the boy, so I keep an eye out while I’m helping clean up. 30 seconds or so later, the boy runs up to the edge of the pool and tries to grab one of the floating toys out on the pool and falls right in. I rush over and he’s under the water except for his little hands. I was fortunately able to grab him and pull him out.

He apparently was throwing up all night afterward, and his dumb parents had the gall to blame the grandmother for not watching the kids closely enough while they were drinking the whole time.

I hate people sometimes, man. 

• stepee 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

It was a really lovely week, despite the sad occasion. The family is planning to do a cruise together so that we get together for a happy reason. 

Except for one thing: the last night we were there, one of the cousins had everybody over for dinner. He has a swimming pool and all the kids were swimming. Towards the end of the night, I see one of the little kids (a 3 year old), looking at the pool and I mention to my wife that it looks like he wants to get back in really bad.

His parents are paying literally no attention to the boy, so I keep an eye out while I’m helping clean up. 30 seconds or so later, the boy runs up to the edge of the pool and tries to grab one of the floating toys out on the pool and falls right in. I rush over and he’s under the water except for his little hands. I was fortunately able to grab him and pull him out.

He apparently was throwing up all night afterward, and his dumb parents had the gall to blame the grandmother for not watching the kids closely enough while they were drinking the whole time.

Thank God you kept an eye on him. Jfc the irresponsibility is insane sometimes. 

On 7/28/2024 at 4:08 PM, sblfilms said:

Some people shouldn’t have kids.