WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

Kamala Harris' campaign appears to be casting a wide net to find a VP, vetting a large number of potential running mates.

Multiple sources tell CBS News that the list of candidates includes several governors: Josh Shapiro of Pennsylvania, Roy Cooper of North Carolina, Andy Beshear of Kentucky, Tim Walz of Minnesota, J.B. Pritzker of Illinois and Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan. 

Members of the Biden administration, including Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg are also being considered, along with Arizona Sen. Mark Kelly, among others. 

The Harris campaign is also looking at individuals who do not currently hold elective office. 

Harris' team plans to carry out and conclude the vetting on a compressed schedule that is expected to be finished by Aug. 7, in order to meet an Ohio deadline requiring nominees to be certified by 90 days before Election Day to obtain ballot access. 

• Hype 3

I still think Kelly is the best choice in terms of helping her (with Shapiro a close second, though with downsides). But Kelly's seat in the Senate is also very important, and it's hard to say if anyone else would be able to hold it in 2026. Cooper seems okay, but I'm not as sold on his appeal to people. True rogue pick would be Whitmer, I think. 

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I still think Kelly is the best choice in terms of helping her (with Shapiro a close second, though with downsides). But Kelly's seat in the Senate is also very important, and it's hard to say if anyone else would be able to hold it in 2026. Cooper seems okay, but I'm not as sold on his appeal to people. True rogue pick would be Whitmer, I think. 

I'm liking Walz with his "the GOP are fucking weirdos" angle he's bringing.

• stepee 2

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Cooper is honestly more of a Governor General type than a Governor. His office doesn't have a ton of power. He's popular here because he's not controversial and dramatic compared to the State Republicans. 

Popular white dude from a swing state seems like the obvious way to go. 

I'll say that pretty much every time I've seen Mayor Pete on screen since the last election he's come off really well. I think if there had been an open primary he might have done well, but he's probably not the right choice in this situation.

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

Popular white dude from a swing state seems like the obvious way to go. 

I'll say that pretty much every time I've seen Mayor Pete on screen since the last election he's come off really well. I think if there had been an open primary he might have done well, but he's probably not the right choice in this situation.

Doesn't he actually poll well with working class white dudes despite being gay? 

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

On CNN, Clyburn said that he suggested Shapiro, Kelly, and Cooper to her (while not actually naming them directly).

Talking to my dad yesterday, I don't Shapiro is the way to go. His support of Israel will be a problem. I think Kelly is the best way to go here.

• True 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Talking to my dad yesterday, I don't Shapiro is the way to go. His support of Israel will be a problem. I think Kelly is the best way to go here.

And as far as Kelly’s lack of support for labor issues/unions, well, he’s a politician he can evolve on an issue, to borrow a phrase. 

• True 2

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

And as far as Kelly’s lack of support for labor issues/unions, well, he’s a politician he can evolve on an issue, to borrow a phrase. 

He's already started apparently.

• Sicko 1

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Kelly supports them as well, I believe. Of course, imo there's a difference between support for Israelis and support for Netanyahu.

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

And this is why you vet them thoroughly first. 

WWW.WRAL.COM

Turns out many of us have been mispronouncing North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper's name his entire time in office.

Almost as big of a :megaton: as when we found out the real pronunciation of Ariana Grande's last name.

Though I don't think he'll be chosen, I actually have been very impressed with Governor Tim Walz of Minnesota. Of all the white men being vetted, I think he has the most plain-spoken way of appealing to people. He's a bit older than the rest, however.

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Though I don't think he'll be chosen, I actually have been very impressed with Governor Tim Walz of Minnesota. Of all the white men being vetted, I think he has the most plain-spoken way of appealing to people. He's a bit older than the rest, however.

Walz is the same age as Harris but he looks 70.

• Shocked 2

17 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

I’d love for Shapiro to get for that home state representation but I think Kelly is the way to go.

He was in space! That's cool as fuck!

As someone who has home state representation in this election... it isn't as great as you think.

31 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

The more I see of Walz the more I like him. He is an excellent communicator with a great progressive record (school lunches!). He was also a former football coach. Get him on some daytime radio talking football! 

Get him to debate Tommy Tuberville!

I’m thrilled to announce that Harris HQ has reached out to me and I’m currently being vetted. They’re considering me to help secure the crucial “short king” voting bloc which transcends racial barriers and includes a proportion of the numerically small but powerfully online trans masc community.

Worship me.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’m thrilled to announce that Harris HQ has reached out to me and I’m currently being vetted. They’re considering me to help secure the crucial “short king” voting bloc which transcends racial barriers and includes a proportion of the numerically small but powerfully online trans masc community.

Worship me.

My dear friend, I hate to be the one to inform but in order to become the “short king” you need to pass the women over 6’ in high heels stepping on your chest challenge first 

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

My dear friend, I hate to be the one to inform but in order to become the “short king” you need to pass the women over 6’ in high heels stepping on your chest challenge first 

I’ve been acing that exam regularly since 2007; my wife is 6’ barefoot.