Which Assassin’s Creed game was better?

Best

Which Assassin’s Creed did you prefer?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which Assassin's Creed game was better?

• Assassin's Creed Valhalla
    • Assassin's Creed Odyssey

I've been on an Assassin’s Creed kick for about a week.

I played Assassin’s Creed Odyssey at it's release and same with Valhalla.

I'm currently a few hours into both on my deck but I need to pick one to focus on.

For those Assassin’s Creed player here, which one did you prefer and why?

The side quests in Odyssey are ten million times better than Valhalla. I put over 100 hours into Valhalla and I was waiting for it to end for the last 40 of them. AC Odyssey I've played all the way through twice, plus another partial playthrough.

• stepee 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

You chose very, very poorly indeed.

I'm like the complete opposite of Phaseknox and prefer male protagonist most of the time. 

Well I'm going to continue my playthrough of Odyssey then. 

I have been reading that Valhalla is way too bloated and takes over 60 hours to beat just the main story. 

Odyssey is closer to 45 hours so I'll commit to it now. 

I like them both, but I like Odyssey more. Kassandra is one of my favorite video game characters, the world is big and colorful packed with entertaining missions to do, the action/stealth gameplay is fast and snappy with a great skill/upgrade system, the ship traversal/combat is fun and taking on bounty hunters hunting you and assassinating maniacal cult members is exciting.

Valhalla has a good main story, but it’s overly long and starts to feel somewhat like a slog after a while. The tone of the game is consistently dark and dreary throughout, and the gameplay in general feels kind of heavy and sluggish. While I still enjoyed it, I didn’t find it as entertaining and fun as Odyssey.

• Thanks 1

I will say that Valhalla looks better visually with more detail. But I agree that the setting is darker and not as vibrant as Odyssey. 

I'm kinda stuck between playing both lol. Valhalla has a phenomenal intro and has hooked me more so than Odyssey. Decisions decisions. Spoiled people issue is all this is. :p

Odyssey as Kassandra is basically a diet Wonder Woman game once you level up a bit. Valhalla leans more into the weird more often, which I like, but overall I think Odyssey is a more fun game world to inhabit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Best said:

I will say that Valhalla looks better visually with more detail. But I agree that the setting is darker and not as vibrant as Odyssey. 

I'm kinda stuck between playing both lol. Valhalla has a phenomenal intro and has hooked me more so than Odyssey. Decisions decisions.

Play what you like more, what we like more shouldn’t matter. Valhalla is a really good game, I wouldn’t have finished it and played its DLC if it wasn’t. I just personally like Odyssey more, and part of that is because of Kassandra. I tried playing it as Alexios once just to see what he was like, and I couldn’t enjoy it as him. The character that I play as in a game is very important to me, and I can’t enjoy a game regardless of how good it is if I don’t like the character that I’m playing as.

39 minutes ago, Best said:

You guys have me considering to start over in Odyssey and play as Kassandra.

:(

You played as her before and didn’t seem to like her, but maybe you’ll feel differently about her this time. If not, play Valhalla since it seems to appeal to you more.

4 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Play what you like more, what we like more shouldn’t matter. Valhalla is a really good game, I wouldn’t have finished it and played its DLC if it wasn’t. I just personally like Odyssey more, and part of that is because of Kassandra. I tried playing it as Alexios once just to see what he was like, and I couldn’t enjoy it as him. The character that I play as in a game is very important to me, and I can’t enjoy a game regardless of how good it is if I don’t like the character that I’m playing as.

You played as her before and didn’t seem to like her, but maybe you’ll feel differently about her this time. If not, play Valhalla since it seems to appeal to you more.

Well I'm at the section where you meet Kassandra so I understand what her personality is like. 

I think I'll give Valhalla more time before making my decision. 

3 minutes ago, Best said:

Well I'm at the section where you meet Kassandra so I understand what her personality is like.

You can’t judge her personality when she’s the villain, because that’s not her personality when you play as her. When you play as her she’s the hero, not a demented cult member. Have you not played as her before? Were you judging her based on her as the villain when playing as Alexios? Alexios is the villain when you play as her, and his personality is different compared to when you play as him. Of course you’re not going to like her personality when she’s the villain, because she’s not the same character since her mind has been twisted by the cult.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

You can’t judge her personality when she’s the villain, because that’s not her personality when you play as her. When you play as her she’s the hero, not a demented cult member. Have you not played as her before? Were you judging her based on her as the villain when playing as Alexios? Alexios is the villain when you play as her, and his personality is different compared to when you play as him. Of course you’re not going to like her personality when she’s the villain, because she’s not the same character since her mind has been twisted by the cult.

I honestly forget who I chose before. You're absolutely correct that I can't base Kassandra's personality from her as the villain. 

I'm going to give Valhalla more time tonight and then if I choose to play Odyssey I'm going to start over as Kassandra. 

Well today I played about 2 hours of both games. 

I started over in Odyssey to play as Kassandra and that absolutely changes my outlook on the game. Her voice acting is much better imo. 

But playing Valhalla I really like how the story is much tighter and focused.

England is really beautiful but so is Greece. I'll keep playing both until I fall off of one of them. I got to say I do like Assassin’s Creed being open world. 

3 minutes ago, Best said:

Well today I played about 2 hours of both games. 

I started over in Odyssey to play as Kassandra and that absolutely changes my outlook on the game. Her voice acting is much better imo. 

But playing Valhalla I really like how the story is much tighter and focused.

England is really beautiful but so is Greece. I'll keep playing both until I fall off of one of them. I got to say I do like Assassin’s Creed being open world. 

I loved them both.  Odyssey is probably better overall.

IMHO, the ISU sections are better in Valhalla,  but there is less variety in the landscape. (I played the "Let the Animus choose" gender).

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I loved them both.  Odyssey is probably better overall.

IMHO, the ISU sections are better in Valhalla,  but there is less variety in the landscape. (I played the "Let the Animus choose" gender).

"ISU" sections?

I loved Odyssey (yes, as Kassandra), whereas I played about 20 hours of Valhalla but couldn't go further because it was just boring. It's like they got rid of all the hooks in AC that keep you going.

• Thanks 1

It's 11-1 Odyssey. The consensus is that Valhalla eventually becomes boring and Odyssey keeps you interested. 

I'm still currently playing both but I'll see what happens.

I litteraly can't choose which is the better game. I played both today for hours and they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I'm having a hell of a time with both. Phenomenal games. 

2 hours ago, Best said:

I litteraly can't choose which is the better game. I played both today for hours and they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I'm having a hell of a time with both. Phenomenal games. 

I’ve never been into the AC games. They seem huge. How are you playing both lol

• True 1

Just now, Biggie said:

I’ve never been into the AC games. They seem huge. How are you playing both lol

I've been playing about 2 hours on each the last few days. I'm trying to pick which one I want to focus on but they are equally great in their own ways. 

How am I playing both? I don't have a job that's how. :p

• Haha 1

I played almost 4 hours of Valhalla today and at the moment I believe it's more impressive than Odyssey.

I prefer how leveling is done in Valhalla and I also appreciate a much tighter story without a million side quests like Odyssey has.

Also, yes, my fear of leveling in Odyssey came in to play last night. In order for me to move the story along I had to grind a few levels through side quests in order to do it.

Thankfully the side quests are pretty good but it's a big flaw that I now remember complaining about a while ago. 

But, I still am having a lot of fun with Odyssey and I'm not quitting on it. It will be interesting to see how long I play both of these mammoth games at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Best said:

I played almost 4 hours of Valhalla today and at the moment I believe it's more impressive than Odyssey.

I prefer how leveling is done in Valhalla and I also appreciate a much tighter story without a million side quests like Odyssey has.

Also, yes, my fear of leveling in Odyssey came in to play last night. In order for me to move the story along I had to grind a few levels through side quests in order to do it.

Thankfully the side quests are pretty good but it's a big flaw that I now remember complaining about a while ago. 

But, I still am having a lot of fun with Odyssey and I'm not quitting on it. It will be interesting to see how long I play both of these mammoth games at the same time. 

I liked both games. My main issue with Valhalla was I felt the different regions didn’t have as much variety as you progressed through the game. 

I did like the ending - and I thought the DLCs were worth it. 

If it’s working for you, I say keep going!

• True 1

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I liked both games. My main issue with Valhalla was I felt the different regions didn’t have as much variety as you progressed through the game. 

I did like the ending - and I thought the DLCs were worth it. 

If it’s working for you, I say keep going!

I'm a big, big fan of Braveheart and Valhalla really reminds me of that with venturing in England. I find the environments to be absolutely beautiful. Yea, it's not as diverse as Odyssey or as vibrant, but I actually prefer the environment Valhalla has. 

But again Odyssey is really good minus a few shortcomings so I'm having a lot of fun with both. 

2 hours ago, Best said:

I'm a big, big fan of Braveheart and Valhalla really reminds me of that with venturing in England. I find the environments to be absolutely beautiful. Yea, it's not as diverse as Odyssey or as vibrant, but I actually prefer the environment Valhalla has. 

But again Odyssey is really good minus a few shortcomings so I'm having a lot of fun with both. 

How’s the exploration in Valhalla ?

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

How’s the exploration in Valhalla ?

It's pretty remarkable how many secrets are scattered throughout the world. It is massive in scope but extremely detailed. It's something that I don't think gets praised enough imo. There is a ton of "wealth" to be discovered that benefits you in many different ways. 

I really think it's impressive with awesome combat to boot. Beautiful music as well. 

19 minutes ago, Best said:

It's pretty remarkable how many secrets are scattered throughout the world. It is massive in scope but extremely detailed. It's something that I don't think gets praised enough imo. There is a ton of "wealth" to be discovered that benefits you in many different ways. 

I really think it's impressive with awesome combat to boot. Beautiful music as well. 

Do you know if this is available on GamePass Ultimate?