10 Games Series That Changed the Industry

I’m stealing @skillzdadirecta’s thing because he never bothered checking this channel that I recommended to him :nottalking:

Spoiler

10. Mortal Kombat (ESRB creation)

9. StarCraft (eSports)

8. Ico + Shadow of the Colossus (acceptance of “video games are art”)

7. Legend of Zelda (save data for longer more complex games)

6. Halo (so popular Microsoft could charge for online with the launch of Halo 2)

5. League of Legends (free to play w/paid cosmetics)

4. Minecraft (early access)

3. Grand Theft Auto (“hot coffee”’s affect on ESRB and penalties)

2. The Elder Scrolls (Oblivion’s micro-transactions; horse armor)

1. Ultima (Ultima Online created MMORPGs)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Some that I'd consider:

Space Invaders - First blockbuster video game.

Pac Man - Drove the gaming industry to heights that it wouldn't see again for more than a decade

Half Life  - Began digital distribution of PC games

Candy Crush - Probably the definitive mobile game and herald of the mobile gaming phenomenon

I'd also argue that GTA3 is more notable for establishing open world game design than GTA:SA is for the Hot Coffee incident, which notably did not result in any lasting legislation. It was certainly a big kerfuffle, but I'm dubious about it leaving much of a lasting legacy. 

• stepee 1
  • True 1

12 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I'd also argue that GTA3 is more notable for establishing open world game design than GTA:SA is for the Hot Coffee incident, which notably did not result in any lasting legislation. It was certainly a big kerfuffle, but I'm dubious about it leaving much of a lasting legacy. 

I don’t disagree with the sentiment, however, this list is about changes made to the industry, not so much genres. I know MMORPG is on there but that, IMO, qualifies more of an industry shift due to the monthly payment structure and servers needed to maintain them. They also note open-world game design in the video for GTA, however, pick hot coffee as the main “industry changer” from it. Hot Coffee made ESRB enact harsher penalties for adult content in games and made devs/publishers more cautious for quite some time.

Space Invaders - First blockbuster video game.

Pac Man - Drove the gaming industry to heights that it wouldn't see again for more than a decade

I’m not so sure these caused any industry shift/changes as they were just wildly popular arcade cabinets, something that already existed and continued to be churned out.

Candy Crush - Probably the definitive mobile game and herald of the mobile gaming phenomenon

I’d argue that League of Legends started this shift with F2P models, but Candy Crush evolved it by reaching a wider audience. I don’t know if mobile F2P would exist as it currently does without LoL creating the F2P template on PC (to where F2P was actual playable games not pay-to-win/actually-play). It’s kind of like saying WoW should be on there instead of or alongside Ultima Online.

Half Life  - Began digital distribution of PC games

Steam with Half-Life 2 should absolutely be on there 100%, as, while digital distribution existed prior to Half-Life 2, it was complete garbage and had things like “download limits” for games you purchased (ie: EA had or had a partnership with a company and when you purchased a game from it digitally you could only re-download the game you purchased a maximum of 3 times and had to login to verify ownership via a long server check every time you wanted to play)

• Halal 1

How is E.T. not on this list? Didn't that game damn near crash the industry? Also whatever game was the first licensed movie tie-in game should be on here as well. And Super Street Fighter II turbo should be here as well. This was the game used in the first official fighting game tournament which predatated Starcraft's Esports tourney's by like 9 years.

36 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How is E.T. not on this list? Didn't that game damn near crash the industry? Also whatever game was the first licensed movie tie-in game should be on here as well. And Super Street Fighter II turbo should be here as well. This was the game used in the first official fighting game tournament which predatated Starcraft's Esports tourney's by like 9 years.

It's only a list of ten, you can't add more than ten. :p

I haven't watched the video but for the reasons listed, I'm afraid I have to disagree with many of them for the reasons they listed. Like #2, micro-transactions would happen at that time regardless of Oblivion. Also while I do think Minecraft deserves to be on the list I disagree over it being a case of early access, something that already existed.

9 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I haven't watched the video but for the reasons listed, I'm afraid I have to disagree with many of them for the reasons they listed. Like #2, micro-transactions would happen at that time regardless of Oblivion. Also while I do think Minecraft deserves to be on the list I disagree over it being a case of early access, something that already existed.

I don't know, just because something would have happened anyway eventually doesn't make it less revolutionary when someone did it for the first time. Rock and roll music was always going to be adopted by white people, Elvis was the first person to make it marketable  to white people. If he didn't do it, someone else would have.

35 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I gave extreme cliffs, if you watch the video they go into detail as to why they picked each game. For example, Minecraft was the first "mega hit" that came out of early access and popularized early access: it gave one of the first big pushes for indie games and indie game funding.