DVD and Blu-Ray sales up despite streaming boom, says HMV boss

https://www.itv.com/news/2024-07-21/dvd-and-blu-ray-sales-up-despite-streaming-boom-says-hmv-boss

Blu-ray and DVD sales are back in growth after significant decline in recent years, sparked by the rise of streaming platforms such as Netflix and Disney+.

Phil Halliday, managing director of HMV, said the retailer is “good health”, with all its core product areas back in growth despite a challenging consumer backdrop.

He said the recovery of its “physical visual” business has been a particular highlight, with collectors helping to support increased sales.

Mr Halliday added that the category has grown as households have witnessed an increase in the number of streaming services, uncertainty over which shows or films are on certain platforms, and rises in the price of many subscriptions.

• Hype 3

My physical media purchases have gone way down recently, but I still buy a handful of disks a year. Usually it’s things I know I’ll rewatch a bunch  and/or things I want to be able to hand to a friend or family member and say “watch this”. And I usually grab a couple Criterions during their semi-annual sales. 

The thing I’m not really doing any more is scrolling through racks of $5 DVDs and buying a dozen movies that I’m vaguely interested in. I used to do that all the time, now that sort of stuff is all digital. I just don’t have the space. 

I don’t have the space or money to buy like a use to, or the time to watch. Still I say I buy roughly 3-5 a month on average. I also didn’t realize The Fall Guy is out on 4K tomorrow, and might treat myself. 

3 hours ago, Best said:

It's because @silentbob and @SoberChef buy 15 copies of DVD's and Blu-rays a day. 

That's a little exaggerated & stop sounding like my wife! 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Best Buy stopped selling Blurays and DVD's which sucks.

While in a way, sure, however I doubt I would've been able to snag the BB Enter the Dragon Steelbook for $20 from BB like ever. 

Overall though, you're going to continue to see this be a thing, most especially with rapid (annual at least) increases to subscription prices, people will do what is best for their wallets at the end of the day.