Do you even bother with HDR on consoles?

I know if it's just my setup or if anyone else has this problem, but it seems lately that every game that I play on my Xbox looks worse with HDR turned on than it does turned off.

At first it was hit or miss and looked great for some games (with proper HDR settings) but some others just looks bad. For example, some games like Metro Exodus looked really good with HDR, but then a game like Elder Scrolls Online has always been busted. Resident Evil 2 remake didn't look very good. But the Far Cry games look amazing.

I just booted up Flintlock to give it a go and the entire time I was playing through the tutorial I was thinking to myself "man I can't see shit" it was so dim and lacked any kind of contrast. It wasn't until I finally reached a part of the game where it was supposed to be daylight and I still couldn't see shit.

The only brightness setting was Gamma which didn't really do anything except make the contrast worse.

Turned off HDR in the Xbox settings and now that game has the vibrance and pop that it should have had with HDR.

I know my tv isn't exactly the most advanced technology on the market, but it can still look pretty damn good when the HDR is implemented correctly, BUT it's really starting to seem more common that developers aren't really putting in the time to actually do it right. Even on my PC i haven't even really bothered turning it on for any of my games.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm thinking about just leaving it disabled in my console settings.

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

There is some weird xbox thing that makes it look washed out that you have to do something to fix, I forget what. I think John from DF explained it at one point. Hope that helps!

I wonder if it's an Auto-HDR thing? Flintlock didn't seem to have any HDR settings at all, maybe it was trying to auto-HDR it and it just wasn't working. It doesn't do this with every game. The games that have actual HDR settings to tweak seem to do alright.

1 minute ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I wonder if it's an Auto-HDR thing? Flintlock didn't seem to have any HDR settings at all, maybe it was trying to auto-HDR it and it just wasn't working. It doesn't do this with every game. The games that have actual HDR settings to tweak seem to do alright.

In all seriousness, I wish I remembered exactly what it was but it’s not an auto hdr thing only. It’s something with color space, I think you are supposed to set both xbox and tv to something specific. Actual hdr games have an issue as well. 

18 minutes ago, stepee said:

In all seriousness, I wish I remembered exactly what it was but it’s not an auto hdr thing only. It’s something with color space, I think you are supposed to set both xbox and tv to something specific. Actual hdr games have an issue as well. 

I'll look it up when I have a chance and see what I need to do. 

I'd be curious about this too.  I actually find the auto-HDR to make more of a difference in many cases than native HDR for some reason.  It's pretty hit or miss, particularly on backwards compatible games.  It tends to darken and wash out the colors (the opposite of HDRs purpose lol), so I often disable it.

46 minutes ago, Bacon said:

i don't even have a screen that supports HDR

Good news is I think you forgot my 4090 is marked for you whenever 5090 is out so that should help your pc build. And don’t worry, I ship to P.o. boxes and lockers :D

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

Good news is I think you forgot my 4090 is marked for you whenever 5090 is out so that should help your pc build. And don’t worry, I ship to P.o. boxes and lockers :D

I didn't forget lol. I wasn't planning on upgrading my graphics card. I might get a used one that is better than my 1070, like a 2080 or something, but just something to hold me over. I only have like 300 bucks towards a PC and that won't be changing anytime soon either. Well, until people give me more money.

And I don't have a po box or whatever so /shrug

46 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I didn't forget lol. I wasn't planning on upgrading my graphics card. I might get a used one that is better than my 1070, like a 2080 or something, but just something to hold me over. I only have like 300 bucks towards a PC and that won't be changing anytime soon either. Well, until people give me more money.

And I don't have a po box or whatever so /shrug

Ahhh ok, makes sense. Just making sure and idk I have hope 5090 hits this year still. 

15 minutes ago, Bacon said:

i hope it does, for my sake lol

I mean, I definitely hope so for my sake too! The point is, we all just want our shit. Maybe the little dip last week will make Nvidia push it up or smtn

I leave everything set to auto for the most part. I had one issue when I first got my tv. HDR looked all wacky. The fix was to go to the HDMI input settings and specifically change the input that my console was on to a game mode. It wasn’t game mode in the picture settings, it was something specific in the hdmi input settings. Other than that, I only have one game that acts weird. That one game being Overwatch 2. When the game boots up on my ps5, the picture gets extremely bright. And it’s not washed out or over saturated at all. I feel like instead of making some colors pop, it’s doing some weird blanket HDR, just setting the whole screen at max. It’s a little painful to stare at in a dim room. No idea how to fix it. I quickly go to picture settings and turn the brightness way down and then it looks normal. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

I always have it on or turn it on. My television is the LG OLED C9 and HDR looks good on it. 

Same basically. I always makes sure HDR is on for games on my deck too. 

• Halal 1

Like @stepeementioned there’s some weirdness with HDR on XSX and some TVs, and it’s not even consistently a problem and seemingly affects people at random. Try changing bit depth to 10bit in the XSX settings and disabling Dolby Vision gaming to see if that helps.

Interesting enough when I fired up Assassin’s Creed Odyssey this morning on my OLED deck,  HDR wasn't automatically turned on. I tested it with it on and off and it absolutely looks better turned on. 

On 7/22/2024 at 5:41 AM, Spork3245 said:

Like @stepeementioned there’s some weirdness with HDR on XSX and some TVs, and it’s not even consistently a problem and seemingly affects people at random. Try changing bit depth to 10bit in the XSX settings and disabling Dolby Vision gaming to see if that helps.

I'll try the 10-bit thing. I don't think Dolby Vision has ever been enabled since my tv doesn't support it.

And yeah it's definitely not every game. I want to say it was actually working pretty well for the longest. But some games just don't seem to like it.

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I'll try the 10-bit thing. I don't think Dolby Vision has ever been enabled since my tv doesn't support it.

And yeah it's definitely not every game. I want to say it was actually working pretty well for the longest. But some games just don't seem to like it.

Some system updates sometimes break it, and it’s at complete random for people