A major milestone: Global climate pollution may have just peaked

YALECLIMATECONNECTIONS.ORG

Clean technology like solar panels, wind turbines, heat pumps, and electric vehicles are helping the world clean up its act.

According to the Carbon Monitor Project, the total global climate pollution released between February and May 2024 declined slightly from the amount released during the same period in 2023. Many experts believe that the clean energy transition has reached the point where emissions will stabilize and then begin to decline. The critical milestone of peak climate pollution might be happening right now.

And it’s happening none too soon. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reported in early June that “carbon is accumulating in the atmosphere faster than ever — accelerating on a steep rise to levels far above any experienced in human existence.”

As a November 2023 report from the climate science and policy institute Climate Analytics put it: “there is a 70% chance that emissions start falling in 2024 if current clean technology growth trends continue and some progress is made to cut non-CO2 emissions. This would make 2023 the year of peak emissions.”

Clean technologies have thrived so far in 2024. According to an analysis by Lauri Myllyvirta, senior fellow at Asia Society Policy Institute and lead analyst at the Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air, or CREA, rapidly expanding solar and wind generation covered 90% of the growth in electricity demand in China in March of this year. The numbers look even better for May. And EVs now account for about one out of every 10 vehicles on China’s roads.

2 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

Reading climate news will give you absolute whiplash right now, because the pace of new tech getting rolled out really is amazing, but there's just so, so much damage that's already completely baked in.

It's similar to the Ozone Layer crisis in the late 70s and 80s.  The damage to the Ozone Layer is finally now starting to heal itself.  Imagine if the GOP of today were around back then.  They'd publicly flaunt their usage of spray cans and such, and call anyone that doesn't also do so a bunch of cuckwokes.

• True 2

I fully admit to not knowing the science, but I feel like the CFC issue was less of a problem because replacement was a non-issue for the average consumer.  It’s not like a can of hairspray now somehow sucks in comparison, and your average American wasn’t dealing with industry levels of CFCs.  If someone invented non-polluting gasoline that worked in existing cars and didn’t increase price, people would ditch gasoline immediately except for a handful of weirdos.  

2 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

I fully admit to not knowing the science, but I feel like the CFC issue was less of a problem because replacement was a non-issue for the average consumer.  It’s not like a can of hairspray now somehow sucks in comparison, and your average American wasn’t dealing with industry levels of CFCs.  If someone invented non-polluting gasoline that worked in existing cars and didn’t increase price, people would ditch gasoline immediately except for a handful of weirdos.  

Yeah but balls or something. Society is a hell of a thing.

• True 1

8 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

If someone invented non-polluting gasoline that worked in existing cars and didn’t increase price, people would ditch gasoline immediately except for a handful of weirdos.  

Or...hear me out...when you need a new car don't get one that requires gas. Stopping at a gas station is a total waste of time. People say EVs charge slow, but if you own a home you likely do over 90% of your charging from either home or work and may never even need to stop at a fast charger. The odd road trip where you need to stop to charge...eat...piss...will still not add up to time wasted compared to all the times you had to stop to get gas on your way to or from work. Also, it's wayyyy cheaper, and you can produce your own electricity. I would think any right minded American don't tread on me would want to install their own solar so they are not reliant on the man providing them with gas or electricity.... 

Sadly FUD is wild here in America and people have wild unsubstantiated ideas of what driving an EV is actually like. 

I've spent $63 in electricity for my car and driven 2700 miles since March. 

• stepee 1

You’re preaching to the choir, when my car dies I’m hoping for a decent non-Tesla electric car.  If I won the lottery tomorrow, I’d be getting a tricked out Rivian.  All I’m saying is the transition from an ICE car to an EV is not completely frictionless in a way that a CFC free aerosol can is.  

2 hours ago, Ominous said:

Also, it's wayyyy cheaper, and you can produce your own electricity. I would think any right minded American don't tread on me would want to install their own solar so they are not reliant on the man providing them with gas or electricity.... 

Damn. I was looking at the Stellar Solar website which features Bill Walton prominently. RIP :(

https://stellarsolar.net/

Also I was under the impression it was pretty expensive to put solar in since you have to pay for the panels and still have to pay the electricity company since you're on the grid or something like that.

29 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Damn. I was looking at the Stellar Solar website which features Bill Walton prominently. RIP :(

https://stellarsolar.net/

Also I was under the impression it was pretty expensive to put solar in since you have to pay for the panels and still have to pay the electricity company since you're on the grid or something like that.

There are a lot of factors that go into it. You can find used solar for a fraction of new. Depending on your utility company you may or may not be able to sell back to the utility for credits. America makes this harder than it needs to be. 

• True 1

We use Tesla as our electric provider and get unlimited home charging for $15/month, which reduced our monthly spend from around $50/month. Gas for an equivalent vehicle would be around $120/month

• stepee 1

21 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Another big piece of news is that after a lot of "they being worked on, but they're not ready for market yet," it looks like solid state batteries are actually getting rolled out into real products now

Unfortunately that YouTuber has been known to hype technologies that have either been dead for a while or are highly overrated. I remain skeptical until someone else reviews these devices.