Global IT outages have hit airlines and business worldwide

Systems went down here at my hospital tonight, though we’re still able to log on on my unit, where most of the hospital is down. Weird. 

Airlines grounded all over the world. 

It’s some sort of Microsoft issue but what the hell is actually going on? Some sort of cyberattack? 

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

The issues have been linked to a CrowdStrike update.

A faulty update from cybersecurity provider CrowdStrike is knocking affected PCs and servers offline, forcing them into a recovery boot loop so machines can’t start properly. CrowdStrike is widely used by many businesses worldwide for managing the security of Windows PCs and servers.

And I thought Microsoft was awful for breaking things through automatic updates.

God damn I hate dealing with Crowdstrike, and now it seems it’s going to leave my family and I stranded in DC this weekend. Have flights for tomorrow at 10am so we’ll see if those actually stick or not. If it gets cancelled because stuff is still down then that means the GDSs behind car and hotel rentals should also be fucked. 

Just now, Comet said:

God damn I hate dealing with Crowdstrike, and now it seems it’s going to leave my family and I stranded in DC this weekend. Have flights for tomorrow at 10am so we’ll see if those actually stick or not. If it gets cancelled because stuff is still down then that means the GDSs behind car and hotel rentals should also be fucked. 

As someone who has been to DC recently, I’m sorry for your loss.

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Systems went down here at my hospital tonight, though we’re still able to log on on my unit, where most of the hospital is down. Weird. 

Airlines grounded all over the world. 

It’s some sort of Microsoft issue but what the hell is actually going on? Some sort of cyberattack? 

If you think that’s bad, I lost my Xbox Live service for 2 hours last night! Unacceptable. 

• Hugs 3

30 minutes ago, Comet said:

FWIW the fix is already out; it's just a matter of how fast the various affected IT departments can roll back the previous update and apply the new one.  You should be fine.

• Halal 1

I'm in the IT department here and the ones who have to deal with this seem to be having themselves a morning on the IT Teams channel.  Not my problem, I handle data feeds through a separate partner platform hosted on AWS.

I'm supposed to be flying today, United still shows my flight on time but the incoming flight is showing four hours delayed. Guess I'm going to the airport to see what happens. 

9 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

I'm in the IT department here and the ones who have to deal with this seem to be having themselves a morning on the IT Teams channel.  Not my problem, I handle data feeds through a separate partner platform hosted on AWS.

It’s an easy fix, a deletion of a specific Crowdstrike file is all you need to do. Two problems though, 1) this needs to be manually performed on each machine so you can’t automate it or do it remotely, and 2) many companies using Crowdstrike are also using bitlocker in tandem and bitlocker is gonna hold files hostages if the server hosting it is also having this issue. 

We were affected bad by the Azure US Central outage last night, but not so much the Crowdstrike stuff. I got emails from a SaaS partner the at they're impacted by the Crowds trike, but the actual services we use from them seem fine. 

45 minutes ago, Comet said:

It’s an easy fix, a deletion of a specific Crowdstrike file is all you need to do. Two problems though, 1) this needs to be manually performed on each machine so you can’t automate it or do it remotely, and 2) many companies using Crowdstrike are also using bitlocker in tandem and bitlocker is gonna hold files hostages if the server hosting it is also having this issue.

The chatter I'm seeing this morning here is restarting the automated processes after the reboot.

Events lately have certainly hammered home the fact that groups you thought were very good at their jobs... aren't.  The Secret Service nearly losing a protectee to a 20 year old who brought his own ladder, a cyber security firm pushing an update that appears to brick every computer it gets installed on...

4 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Events lately have certainly hammered home the fact that groups you thought were very good at their jobs... aren't.  The Secret Service nearly losing a protectee to a 20 year old who brought his own ladder, a cyber security firm pushing an update that appears to brick every computer it gets installed on...

This reminds me of when I was a noobie tech guy and my boss at the time found an email attachment virus. He alerted the whole company about the virus and attached the email to alert users on what to watch out for. I asked him if he meant to send the virus to everyone on purpose. Oops!

• Haha 3