Breaking: Cannon dismisses classified documents case against Trump, citing "unconstitutional" appointment of Jack Smith as special counsel

The appeal alone will take months.  Even if Smith is successful in getting the case back on track and with another judge, Trump will just instruct the DoJ to drop the charges as soon as he is sworn in on January 20th. 

6 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The appeal alone will take months.  Even if Smith is successful in getting the case back on track and with another judge, Trump will just instruct the DoJ to drop the charges as soon as he is sworn in on January 20th. 

I had a director who the heads of the company wanted to get a more senior director for, he just told recruiting to de-prioritize that search and no one was ever hired above him lmao

6 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Yep. If he wins he will never see anything resembling justice for any crime. 

hell even if he loses there’s still, ime, a ~25% chance anything actually happens to him. 

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yep. If he wins he will never see anything resembling justice for any crime. 

hell even if he loses there’s still, ime, a ~25% chance anything actually happens to him. 

He'll also just pre-pardon himself

The fact that not a single other Justice signed onto Thomas’ concurrence about how special counsels violate the Constitution signals to me that they know how batshit crazy it is.

§ 600.1 Grounds for appointing a Special Counsel.

The Attorney General, or in cases in which the Attorney General is recused, the Acting Attorney General, will appoint a Special Counsel when he or she determines that criminal investigation of a person or matter is warranted and—

(a) That investigation or prosecution of that person or matter by a United States Attorney’s Office or litigating Division of the Department of Justice would present a conflict of interest for the Department or other extraordinary circumstances; and

(b) That under the circumstances, it would be in the public interest to appoint an outside Special Counsel to assume responsibility for the matter.

I don’t see how this fails to allow a Special Counsel appointment under her theory given that the Constitution in the Appointments Clause says:

[T]he Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

From a competent user on Reddit, it seems pretty straightforward that the special council is fine, but I’m no high falooting fancy pants lawyer

This will 100% be appealed and given to another judge. While a delay it probably will move things forward for a change. With that said we still have sentencing for the hush money and the Georgia case.

3 minutes ago, chakoo said:

This will 100% be appealed and given to another judge. While a delay it probably will move things forward for a change. With that said we still have sentencing for the hush money and the Georgia case.

Yeah, but Trump will absolutely kill the case as soon as he becomes the President.  Hopefully stuff like this motivates people to vote against him, but it's honestly just static noise at this point considering everything else happening with the election. 

Just now, mclumber1 said:

Yeah, but Trump will absolutely kill the case as soon as he becomes the President.

*If he does. Nobody who posts on political boards is very good at prognosticating elections. This is a good reminder -- especially given his unhinged Truth Social rant about this case -- as to why he shouldn't win. 

18 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Yeah, but Trump will absolutely kill the case as soon as he becomes the President.  Hopefully stuff like this motivates people to vote against him, but it's honestly just static noise at this point considering everything else happening with the election. 

Sure if he wins but it will be in the news as it continues to evolve during the election along with the two other issues. I find that more damming atm.

Canon was doing a good job of keeping this out of the spotlight with its slow drag. That goes away now because of this.

8 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Sure if he wins but it will be in the news as it continues to evolve during the election along with the two other issues. I find that more damming atm.

Canon was doing a good job of keeping this out of the spotlight with its slow drag. That goes away now because of this.

There won’t even be an answer on the appeal by the election probably. 

And then it has to go up to the Supreme Court. 

• Wrong 1

35 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

AHEM:

And the disciplined Trump is already gone:

I tried to go right to truth social to see this, and it won’t let me see his page. Weird. Did he seriously 1 hundred percent say this?!

14 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Ah he did. Well, there goes any wonder  that he’ll have a come to Jesus moment over the next four months.

The change in his character will be like Bill Haders character in this clip, where he recently just had a heart attack:

22 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

There won’t even be an answer on the appeal by the election probably. 

And then it has to go up to the Supreme Court. 

No, the 11th has already weighed in once before over Canon.

I just said in the shooting thread that that incident is exactly why Trump can never be president again....because imagine if that happened and he had presidential powers.

This ruling is another aspect of that. Between this and the immunity ruling it's not even just that they are ruling in favor of Trump anymore. They are ruling in favor of him in a flagrant, "What the hell are YOU gonna do about it?!" kind of way. This is in contrast to how they actually ruled against him in 2020.

This is an absolutely ridiculous ruling. Every target of a special counsel ever has made this argument and it has all but been laughed out of court.

People still try to call us fear mongers, but with rulings like this I sincerely believe a second Trump term would make Jan. 6th look like regular order. 

• True 2
  • Halal 1

While this will get appealed I can nearly guarantee that this will become a SCOTUS issue. Thomas oversees the 11th circuit. Considering he essentially gave Cannon direct guidance on this matter it guarantees it will at a minimum get past his filter and I fully expect the 4 justices required to take up the case won't be hard to find.

• Halal 1

27 minutes ago, chakoo said:

No, the 11th has already weighed in once before over Canon.

Sure, but none of this will be fast. There is literally almost no chance any further cases go through before the election. They will have to go through every part of these cases to see what is official and what isn’t. It’s going to be ridiculous. 

That whole SCOTUS ruling was absurd.