Shots fired at Trump rally (bullet clipped Trump’s ear)

House Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday called for the country “to get back to civility” following the assassination attempt on former President Donald Trump.

“We need a unified message. We need to turn the temperature down. And I think it’s time for moral clarity,” Johnson told CNN’s Anderson Cooper during an interview ahead of President Joe Biden’s Oval Office speech. “Of course, we’ve got to get back to civility in this country.”

The Louisiana Republican added: “The rhetoric has consequences. When you have a heated environment and you have political division in this country, like we have in the age of social media, everything is amplified and everyone can go on and turn the dials up every day. We need to work on bringing that down so that we can have thoughtful debate and we can have policy discussions.”

When asked about how the US Secret Service failed to protect Trump, Johnson said he hasn’t gotten a “satisfactory answer” from them yet.

“I think pretty clearly, there was a security lapse, at least,” the speaker said. “For example, why were drones not used in the area? I have not gotten a satisfactory answer on that yet.”

I hope this does scare them into being a little more cautious, but I doubt they are capable.

30 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Biden: “hey, you ever notice how all the violence seems to come from right wingers?”

WWW.THREADS.NET

President Biden: Violence has never been the answer, whether it's a violent mob attacking the Capitol on January 6, or a brutal attack on the spouse of former Speaker Nancy...

I love Biden ngl

• True 2
  • Halal 3

lol I got reminded today that back in 2022 my local police snuck a city councilmember who wasn't supposed to be there past Biden's security perimeter and Secret Service's response was just "well no harm no foul".

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Didn't Hitler claim that the almighty saved his life while he was in the trenches in World War 1?  

Oh man I can't (can) believe the irony of conservatives sharing posts about how God protected Trump or angels were watching over him when two other [innocent] people caught the strays.

32 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I hope this does scare them into being a little more cautious, but I doubt they are capable.

Not capable or willing. This is just an opportunity for them to spout hypocrisy. At the very least Trump isn't going to back down on the rhetoric. Maybe he'll go completely off the rails with inciting violence/vengeance that he'll actually turn people off.

Just now, Massdriver said:

Hope you come back. I think most of us have calmed down. 

Nah. We still freaking out

and yes I want that authoritarian fascist who is uplifting those who wish to harm people like me dead.

Sorry not sorry.

I was reading (outlandish) theories on X and Reddit that Michael Flynn orchestrated this assassination attempt.  Trump wasn't a part of the conspiracy of course - he was supposed to get martyred yesterday.  In the wake of the killing of Donald Trump, and all of the associated political violence, Flynn would wrestle control of the GOP at the convention next week and become either the Presidential or VP nominee.

Zero percent chance this is the case of course, but it would make for an interesting story that might only be paralleled in a Tom Clancy book.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • True 1

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

I was reading (outlandish) theories on X and Reddit that Michael Flynn orchestrated this assassination attempt.  Trump wasn't a part of the conspiracy of course - he was supposed to get martyred yesterday.  In the wake of the killing of Donald Trump, and all of the associated political violence, Flynn would wrestle control of the GOP at the convention next week and become either the Presidential or VP nominee.

Zero percent chance this is the case of course, but it would make for an interesting story that might only be paralleled in a Tom Clancy book.

Anyone know what Ted Cruz's dad has been up to lately? 

• Shocked 2
  • Haha 1
  • True 1

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I like this theory, if only because such stories may make Trump more paranoid and delusional. :daydream:

• True 1

4 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

I’ll need some context on that last one 

He's a former Starcraft 2 pro, one of the original twitch streamers, turned politics streamer, leans center left. His content is basically everyday 8 hours of in depth research on a topic (J6, Israel Palestine) and arguing with his chat. His basic take is he's done with civility and Trump supporters faking outrage when the Right has been blood thirty for 8 years. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet.

An event like yesterday is exactly why Trump can never be president again.

Imagine Trump after what happened.....but with presidential powers.

19 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

So, should Trump be elected in November, this is going to serve as his Reichstag fire, huh?

Notice how the media isn't covering the victims only Trump?

The truth is that the assassination was a work. The actual target was the person in the crowd. The gunman knew he was going to die and could achieve two things at once. Make Trump look like a hero but also kill the person in the crowd. So far it seems like mission accomplished.

• Haha 1

Thought this was worth posting here:
TDS was going to be live from near the RNC all week, but…

IMG-9194.jpg

The change in security and whatnot made them unable to broadcast from the venue they reserved and they’re headed back to NYC

55 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Thought this was worth posting here:
TDS was going to be live from near the RNC all week, but…

IMG-9194.jpg

The change in security and whatnot made them unable to broadcast from the venue they reserved and they’re headed back to NYC

The GOP is scared

They're hiding it again behind "norms" but they're freaking out just like they did on J6

What happens when they cut the benefits their angry mob likes? They turned on Pence and others real quick

10 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

A house that had a huge Let's go Brandon sign nearby, like the size of a box truck took it down.

Is that good or bad?

10 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I love Biden ngl

Smart way to remind voters of not only who the majority of these attacks are perpetrated by, but also who they are the target of. 

• Halal 1