Nobody Wants to Die (first-person "cybernoir" detective title | PC/Xbox Series/PS5 | $25) - update (07/24): reviews from OpenCritic posted

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Lose yourself in the dystopian world of New York, 2329; immortality comes at a price that someone has to pay. In this interactive noir story, lead the investigation using advanced technology, as Detective James Karra who risks it all in pursuit of a serial killer targeting the city’s elite.
  • Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Nobody Wants to Die (PC/Xbox Series/PS5 | July 17) - 10 minutes of gameplay from "future noir" (2329 NYC with 1930s aesthetics) first-person detective game

I’d love impressions too if anyone checks this out. Would be a great gamepass game or..a demo would be good because I don’t fully get the gameplay loop here from the steam video/pics. I’m pretty sure it’s not for me at least right now (feeling twitchy arcadey stuff lately) but it looks quite interesting. Steam reviews are solid too.

The publisher also appears to be new and they have some interesting stuff coming out. They have two game on my wishlist already, that Rachet and Clank-like (Akimbot) and a really cool

looking stealth metroidvania called the Siege and the Sandfox, both also coming out this year. And then also this year they have a Warhammer 40k f2p arcade racing game that looks kinda dope?

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Nobody Wants to Die (PC/Xbox Series/PS5 | $25) - update (07/18): "Launch" trailer and first hour of gameplay video

Not many reviews for this one so far:

WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

Who wants to live forever? - What would happen if humans created a way to make death optional by transferring consciousness from one body to another? Nobody ...

Nobody Wants To Die is a thoroughly enjoyable sci-fi detective thriller. The gameplay during investigations can feel a little perfunctory, but the narrative unfolds at a brisk pace, and the developer makes smart use of visual trickery to convince you that the game is much bigger than it actually is, presenting you with unforgettable future cityscapes that are perpetually out of reach. It's all an illusion, but a beautiful one.

XBOXERA.COM

Nobody Wants to Die has come out of nowhere to become one of my favorite titles of 2024.  You are Detective James Karra in the year 2329.  A

Nobody Wants to Die is an incredible experience.  Engaging detective gameplay, an incredible soundtrack, and a fascinating noir-yarn come together to create one of my favorite games in a long time.

CEREALKILLERZ.ORG

Denn ein Serienmörder treibt im optisch enorm schicken New York der Zukunft sein Unwesen.

Nobody Wants to Die impresses with a very detailed and atmospheric neo-noir look that shows a dystopian New York of the future. Equipped with all kinds of gadgets, it has never been so cool to be on the trail of a serial killer. Unfortunately, the gameplay stagnates a bit, as you have to repeat the same steps over and over again and are basically just looking for the next prompt. But if you don't let that put you off, you will be very well entertained for a few hours.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Nobody Wants to Die (first-person "cybernoir" detective title | PC/Xbox Series/PS5 | $25) - update (07/18): "Launch" trailer and first hour of gameplay video

I played it for a couple hours yesterday.  It’s a narrative adventure game more or less, no combat that I’ve encountered.  The reconstruction rewind mechanic is pretty cool.  It has the little notifications when you do something that affects the story.  The only thing I saw going in was the announcement trailer.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

I played it for a couple hours yesterday.  It’s a narrative adventure game more or less, no combat that I’ve encountered.  The reconstruction rewind mechanic is pretty cool.  It has the little notifications when you do something that affects the story.  The only thing I saw going in was the announcement trailer.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Game Information

Game Title: Nobody Wants to Die

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Jul 17, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Jul 17, 2024)
  • PC (Jul 17, 2024)

Developer: Critical Hit Games

Publisher: PLAION

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 77 average - 67% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 9.5 / 10

Nobody Wants to Die is an incredible experience.  Engaging detective gameplay, an incredible soundtrack, and a fascinating noir-yarn come together to create one of my favorite games in a long time.

PSX Brasil - Bruno Henrique Vinhadel - Portuguese - 85 / 100

Even if it is not so comprehensive in terms of gameplay, Nobody Wants to Die delivers a rich plot in a fantastic universe full of potential. The investigative adventure in retrofuturistic New York stands out for its excellent story and interesting characters.

Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 8.1 / 10

Nobody Wants to Die impresses with a very detailed and atmospheric neo-noir look that shows a dystopian New York of the future. Equipped with all kinds of gadgets, it has never been so appealing to be on the trail of a serial killer. Unfortunately, the gameplay stagnates somewhat, as you have to carry out the same steps over and over again, always looking for the next prompt. But those who are not put off by this will be very well entertained for a few hours.

GamePro - Annika Bavendiek - German - 81 / 100

A graphic and atmospheric treat that captivates until the end. However, the gameplay lacks ambition and variety.

GameMAG - Russian - 8 / 10

Nobody Wants to Die is a very beautiful and atmospheric detective thriller with interesting characters and deep investigations, on which you can spend a couple of evenings. But you should not expect explosive action and complex puzzles from this game.

Gamefa - Mostafa Zahedi - Persian - 8 / 10

Nobody Wants To Die is one of the best games of 2024 so far. it delivers an amazing story, intriguing characters and impressive visuals. it also has one of the best atmosphere amongst cyberpunk games. if you're a fan of detective games, you will have a blast playing Nobody Wants To Die.

GamingBolt - Joelle Daniels - 8 / 10

While Nobody Wants to Die doesn't really emphasize its gameplay as much, in turn, it offers up a story that is an absolute joy to experience, thanks in no small part to its well-realized cyberpunk world and well-written characters.

IGN Italy - Andrea Giongiani - Italian - 8 / 10

Nobody Wants to Die is an enticing detective story that takes a weird path in the final stretch.

IGN Spain - Rafa Del Río - Spanish - 8 / 10

Critical Hit surprises with a modern graphic adventure in which the setting and its visual work serve as a backdrop to a discourse that invites the player to debate.

MonsterVine - Nick Mangiaracina - 4 / 5

A thought-provoking experience that had me questioning the reality Karra was living in throughout most of the game, Nobody Wants to Die is a must for mystery, adventure, and noir fans.

PlayStation Universe - Garri Bagdasarov - 8 / 10

Nobody Wants To Die was the game I didn't realize I needed to play this year until I played it. A fantastic narrative experience set in one of the most harrowing worlds. Though its gameplay is by the books, it didn't keep me from being thoroughly entertained from start to finish. For those looking for a cyberpunk murder mystery, you don't need to look further than Nobody Wants To Die.

Push Square - John Cal McCormick - 8 / 10

Nobody Wants To Die is a thoroughly enjoyable sci-fi detective thriller. The gameplay during investigations can feel a little perfunctory, but the narrative unfolds at a brisk pace, and the developer makes smart use of visual trickery to convince you that the game is much bigger than it actually is, presenting you with unforgettable future cityscapes that are perpetually out of reach. It's all an illusion, but a beautiful one.

Atomix - Aldo López - Spanish - 75 / 100

I feel that it is a very decent game and that it should be tried, but it is also not the work that is going to change the industry in the narrative game genre; For that, its development studio still has a way to go. The advantage is that it is not a full-price title, so if you want to venture out and buy it, I would say it is a good idea, especially if you like works that bet almost everything on the story.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 7.5 / 10

Nobody Wants To Die is a strong detective thriller that does great work in immersing players in its dystopic-as-ever vision of near-future New York. While the gameplay loop is ambitious, a lacking protagonist and a gameplay concept that spreads itself too thin ultimately keeps Nobody Wants To Die from realising the full extent of it's potential. Regardless, it's an incredible-looking, amazingly atmospheric debut from a studio whom I can't wait to see more from.

IGN - Carli Velocci - 7 / 10

Nobody Wants to Die will hold your hand whether you want it to or not, but its deep dialogue trees and unique touches almost manage to elevate it into something special.

Everyeye.it - Francesco Mocerino - Italian - 6.5 / 10

The debut title of Critical Hit Games is a graphic adventure capable of building a fascinating setting, certainly indebted to the imagery linked to the cornerstones of the genre, but with a unique personality thanks to the aesthetic and musical references to the United States of the 40s.

New Game Network - Alex Varankou - 65 / 100

Given its low price, Nobody Wants to Die may be worth checking out for the visual style and unique atmosphere, but the basic gameplay and underwhelming story make for a forgettable adventure.

Chicas Gamers - Juanma Luengo - Spanish - 6 / 10

A visually groundbreaking narrative adventure, but with gameplay that is too basic and not very varied

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Nobody Wants to Die (first-person "cybernoir" detective title | PC/Xbox Series/PS5 | $25) - update (07/24): reviews from OpenCritic posted