So Ferrari ... uhhhh ... did a thing? I present to you the FUV

SoberChef

• SoberChef changed the title to So Ferrari ... uhhhh ... did a thing? I present to you the FUV
2 hours ago, Brick said:

What is with sports cars making SUVs? Porsche making that stupid Cayenne (named after a pepper, seriously?), and now this? 

They like money and sports cars don’t make them as much of it as they’d like. The Porsche Macan and Cayenne are the reason they can still justify making 911 Turbos as those two SUVs sell extremely well. Different but similarly, the MachE Mustang is the reason Ford can still produce V8 Mustangs and Shelbys as sells off the Mustang name: this was stated directly by Ford.

My favorite part about the Ferrari SUV, and I think Doug mentioned it in his review, is that the former head of Ferrari, several years ago, said that “Ferrari will make an SUV over my dead body”… development of it began about a year after he passed away :p 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

My favorite part about the Ferrari SUV, and I think Doug mentioned it in his review, is that the former head of Ferrari, several years ago, said that “Ferrari will make an SUV over my dead body”… development of it began about a year after he passed away :p 

At least he was a man of his word.

• True 1

9 hours ago, Brick said:

What is with sports cars making SUVs? Porsche making that stupid Cayenne (named after a pepper, seriously?), and now this? 

I agree with the sentiment, but it really is what people want to buy.

The Macan sells nearly as much as al of Porsche's cars combined and the Cayenne isn't too far behind. For 2023 they sold ~28k cars (911, 718, Taycan, Panamera), ~27k Macans, and 20k Cayennes.

It's the case for Lamborghini as well. The Urus made up 60% of their record breaking sales last year.

Ferrari will likely be following suite. I couldn't find a breakdown of sales by model, but Ferrari credits the Purosangue for increasing sales for their record year, and it is sold out through 2026, where all other Ferrari's are sold out through 2025.

It's the same for luxury cars, with the Cullinan being the best selling Rolls Royce

The only cases I can think of where SUVs aren't a brands best selling model are for companies that don't sell them yet (Lotus hasn't shipped theirs yet) or the domestic makes that sell more trucks. I suppose there are probably some Indian or Chinese brands that do better with cars, but it's probably safe to say that SUVs and truck reign supreme once the price is over $25K or so.

The transformation of all these exotic car brands is nearly complete.

From a purely economic angle, this makes perfect sense and I’m kind of surprised it took this long.  With the popularity of electric cars and the absurd performance they can provide for a fraction of the price on the hood and even less for routine maintenance, these cars make even less sense than before.  Putting Musk as a piece of shit aside, a Model S Plaid will do things a Ferrari can’t for less than half of the price.  Who wants to spend over 300k and get beaten at a red light by someone in a family sedan?  

Almost no one buys these cars to track them, they buy them to show off.  The problem with buying a car to show off is that these things are miserable to drive like a normal car.  I live in an area where I see these cars somewhat frequently, and you have never seen someone look less cool and more miserable than trying to parallel park a Lamborghini with their chode three inches above the pavement, zero visibility, and an obtuse paddle shifter.  Scissor doors look cool until you’re leaning out of one trying to guess how far your bumper is from that Kia Soul just so you can slink into Starbucks like you’re still hot shit.  

If you make rolling status symbols that people genuinely don’t give a shit about 99% of the performance curve, why not make an SUV?  It’ll actually be somewhat usable, and more people will actually buy one if they can imagine a situation where they could actually use it.  People who notice cars and care about them will still gawk, you’ll still be faster than most cars on the road, and you might actually be comfortable when you arrive.  

• True 1