Is there any otherwise unappetizing food that is transformed by a certain context?

sblfilms

I took my wife to the mall to go to the Apple store, and I ended up grabbing something to eat at the food court since we still don’t have power at the house and we are 100% electric.

As I’m looking at the different options, I see it, generic Mall “Chinese” food. Bourbon chicken and Lo Mein. I would never order something like this in any other context, but the random times I find myself in the mall and it is time to eat, I hit up that bourbon chicken 😂

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

Mall Chinese food is goated. I love when you walk by and they yell SAMPLE? and hand it to you on a toothpick. 

Yea that's mine did every day with Bourbon chicken. 

11 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Mall Chinese food is goated. I love when you walk by and they yell SAMPLE? and hand it to you on a toothpick. 

Yeah that’s why I was more liberal with my answers because mall chinese food is legit bomb as fuck 

When I visit my dad, he always takes me to Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen. He orders the seafood & andouille sausage gumbo at the bar with a beer for dinner. I don’t like seafood. Don’t care much for Cajun.  But I order the same with him because it makes him happy. It has grown on me over the years but still would never eat it without him next to me. 

• stepee 1
  • Hugs 2

I'll always & forever be appalled by food court 'Chinese' 'food' after having worked at Sborro's a couple spots down from it when I was 15. Seeing as I was underage, manager wouldn't let us smoke in the back of the kitchen (hey it was the mid 90's) so I'd go out the back door, down the back hallway past the other eateries, then head outside to burn one. On one such trek, I shit you not ... a pile of human fecal matter just outside of the door to the kitchen entrance of the Asian spot ... I can still see & smell it to this day, it haunts me, probably just another notch on the lengthy list of trauma that I never got around to processing! :twothumbsup:

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Chris- said:

7/11 pizza when you are drunk or stoned.

Man, 7-11 pizza is kinda good and kicks the shit out of other pizzas in that pricing tier.  I'd take a 7-11 pizza over Domino's or Li'l Caesar.

10 hours ago, Chris- said:

7/11 pizza when you are drunk or stoned.

Honestly 7/11 pizza is better than Papa Murphy's or pretty much any frozen pizza you can ever get. Plus you get more for your money, too. I don't hate on 7/11 pizza at all. Is it the best pizza ever? No, but it doesn't have to be.

Bonus points because I love handing over the pizza at checkout when they're really busy, seeing the cashier's crestfallen face when he sees the pizza, then immediately picking up his mood when I tell him I don't need him to cook the pizza because I'll do it at home. It's like forcing someone to go through a rollercoaster of emotions only to have it be okay in the end.

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Honestly 7/11 pizza is better than Papa Murphy's or pretty much any frozen pizza you can ever get. Plus you get more for your money, too. I don't hate on 7/11 pizza at all. Is it the best pizza ever? No, but it doesn't have to be.

Bonus points because I love handing over the pizza at checkout when they're really busy, seeing the cashier's crestfallen face when he sees the pizza, then immediately picking up his mood when I tell him I don't need him to cook the pizza because I'll do it at home. It's like forcing someone to go through a rollercoaster of emotions only to have it be okay in the end.

A few months back they did a $3 pizza promotion.  My freezer got stocked the fuck up. :D

12 minutes ago, Slug said:

Man, 7-11 pizza is kinda good and kicks the shit out of other pizzas in that pricing tier.  I'd take a 7-11 pizza over Domino's or Li'l Caesar.

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

I’m sure the freshly baked stuff is decent, I was more so talking about the individual slices that sit there for an indefinite amount time. You have to be in a certain state of mind to roll the die on those bad boys. 

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

No 7-11 here any more. Was gone before the 2010's started. Never served any pizza tho.

Saw a guy claim he has a friend who got botulism from a 7-11 hot dog.

No 7-11 man you have nothing there 

15 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Whatever passes as "food" for the English is somehow far more palatable when consumed in a pub while watching footy on the telly.

Same for what they pass off as beer.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

7-11 sushi is def nightmare fuel

My understanding is that 7-11 Japan is starting to bring more of their Japanese practices over to the states, so I wonder if it'll actually be ok sometime soon.

7-11 Pizza is legit 'I work till 3am' food.

21 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Whatever passes as "food" for the English is somehow far more palatable when consumed in a pub while watching footy on the telly.

It's a fucking island. Where's the seafood?????

3 minutes ago, unogueen said:

7-11 Pizza is legit 'I work till 3am' food.

It's a fucking island. Where's the seafood?????

Fried in batter.

Has anyone ever bought fudge without being within walking distance of the ocean?  Is it even legal to sell?  Do people who have never left the Midwest even know what fudge is?

Ask me on any given day if I want a chewy blob of chocolate flavored sugar and I’m good.  If I’m on vacation walking the boardwalk?  Why not treat myself…

On 7/10/2024 at 4:19 AM, Chris- said:

I’m sure the freshly baked stuff is decent, I was more so talking about the individual slices that sit there for an indefinite amount time. You have to be in a certain state of mind to roll the die on those bad boys. 

I'm not entirely sure I've ever been to a 7-11 that has pizza by the slice. It's always been whole pies that you can either take home or they'll bake them in the store.

On 7/10/2024 at 7:09 AM, stepee said:

I kind of want to try 7-11 pizza now.

If you're ever in the mood where you're thinking "maybe I feel like a DiGiorno tonight" maybe swing by the local 7-11 and see if they have some take and bake.

• Hype 1

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

How was it?

I'll be honest it wasn't as good as I remembered. But then again my Chinese place I go to isn't the greatest place. I prefer General Tso chicken by a long shot. 

I got crab rangoon with it and they were very good. 

• Hype 1

• 1 month later...

Took my fam to the mall so I could pick up the laptop at the Apple Store that the wife and I bought for our middle son now that he’s starting his University of Houston classes.

Ended up in the food court for lunch and went hard in the paint on some bourbon chicken with lo mein. Exquisite. 

IMG-0969

This kid. He is the sweetest of our children and was very thankful to get an upgrade over the like…2016ish MacBook Air he’s been using. Guy never complains, he’s just like his mother.

IMG-0971

• stepee 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Hugs 1