Xbox Game Pass is getting MAJOR changes, with a new tier without day one games, and price increases worldwide

Just now, TwinIon said:

That reminds me that I need to change my tier. I had a really cheap ultimate sub for a while, but I don't really use the console anymore, so I should be on PC Gamepass.

Or the cheap Ultimate is still also available!

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Switch Lite illustrates it truly has nothing to do with being a console player either.  You can bet whatever Microsoft handheld comes next wouldn’t drop the online fee either.  And that a hypothetical second attempt at a Steam Machine would lack one.

Its merely the companies that were traditionally in a position to charge that opt to.  Even if they’re competing with the Deck and such, they’ll still do it.  They’re addicted to that gravy train.

I am not sure what point you are making.

If you decide to buy in to a closed ecosystem, you are, by default, buying into the rules of that ecosystem.  MS has charged a fee for online play for decades.  If someone isn't interested in the platform, there are lots of gaming platforms without monthly fees.

As an occasional PC Game pass user this is still a really good deal. When they release a game I want to play, I sign up for $12 play it and then cancel. It's relatively rare that they have a continuous amount of games that I have the time to play so I just sign up for the stuff I want. It's had a fairly negative affect on my steam game purchases too because I can fairly confidently wait for wishlist games to show up on game pass so unless they get to $12 or less I usually don't purchase outside of games I really want to play day 1 and/or want to support the developer.

23 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I am not sure what point you are making.

If you decide to buy in to a closed ecosystem, you are, by default, buying into the rules of that ecosystem.  MS has charged a fee for online play for decades.  If someone isn't interested in the platform, there are lots of gaming platforms without monthly fees.

My point is that Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have each dug into the idea that online gameplay shouldn’t be free on dedicated gaming hardware.  It’s not just a Microsoft thing.  They’ve all decided it should be the norm, because that’s what they want.  They can price it at whatever amount they feel is appropriate that doesn't generate too much blowback.  That's bad for us overall, and always was, but is even more troubling with each of the 3 major players in on it, as we see from recent price hikes.

In the long run, I’m not sure how sustainable that vision is.  Pay to play multiplayer is losing its relevancy with younger generations, PC is taking off in more territories than the past, etc.  We’re stuck with the consoles doing it for now, but I’ll continue holding out hope that the market can be disrupted. 

51 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I asked the question on ResetERA and the consensus is that the "Day One Ultimate" exclusives refers to all games, whether first-party or otherwise.

Well your first mistake was asking there.

T.CO

"These kinds of never-before-seen tactics are why gamers choose us, other than the looming threat of exclusive Elder Scrolls.”

REDMOND – Xbox is considering a new pricing strategy for their Game Pass service, charging users a one-time $70 per game fee (only on games they want) instead of a monthly fee, executives at the company confirmed.

“I think gamers would be very thankful to be able to play their games whenever they want,” explained Xbox boss Phil Spencer. “This exciting new pricing strategy will allow our players to keep enjoying their games even after they’re taken off of Game Pass. Not only that, but they’ll be able to choose whether they want to pay for a certain game or skip it and wait for something they’re excited for. These kinds of never-before-seen tactics are why gamers choose us, other than the looming threat of exclusive Elder Scrolls.”

Henry Giorgio, a long-time Game Pass subscriber, said he welcomed the possible change with open arms.

“I kinda like the idea of just picking the games I want and paying for those”, said Giorgio. “The freedom of choice is like no other. It can get really embarrassing paying for a month to play a new game and it ends up being Redfall. I’ll be sure to never make that mistake again.”’

Developers across the gaming industry have been enthusiastic at the rumors, believing that the pay-as-you-play model will serve for bigger revenues.

“People are too snooty to buy an indie game that costs more than twenty bucks, but they’ll sure as hell pay for Game Pass to play it,” said one indie developer who wished to remain anonymous in fear of professional retaliation. “We worked on our latest game for seven years only for it to be shat out in the same lineup as five Call of Duty games and some Paw Patrol shovelware. Maybe if they know our game is the one they’re paying for, they’ll actually go out and play it for once.”

Xbox’s main competitors at Sony have been relieved at the possible price change, believing that if they follow suit they can stop pretending to give a shit about the Playstation Plus catalog.

Spoiler

• Confused 1

WWW.IGN.COM

The FTC blasted the Xbox Game Price increases in a new filing, describing the new Standard tier as "product degradation" and claiming that the increases are inconsistent with its arguments from last year's trial.

A new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) filing in the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals is taking aim at the recent Xbox Game Pass price increase, saying that it vindicates "the congressional design of preliminarily halting mergers to full evaluate their likely competitive effects."

The filing argues that the price increase, which was announced July 9, is "inconsistent" with the case it made during last year's Xbox FTC trial. In breaking down the new revised service, the FTC filing describes the new Standard tier as a "degraded product" that withholds day-one releases while still representing an increase over the original Console Game Pass tier.

"Product degradation — removing the most valuable games from Microsoft's new service — combined with price increases for existing users, is exactly the sort of consumer harm from the merger the FTC has alleged," the filing reads. It also notes that the price increase coincides with Call of Duty being added to the most expensive tier.

On 7/19/2024 at 8:40 AM, Keyser_Soze said:
WWW.IGN.COM

The FTC blasted the Xbox Game Price increases in a new filing, describing the new Standard tier as "product degradation" and claiming that the increases are inconsistent with its arguments from last year's trial.

INSIDER-GAMING.COM

Microsoft has issued a response to FTC's complaint over the recent price increase to Xbox Game Pass, calling it "misleading"

After the United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) publicly stated that the recent price increase and tier changes to Xbox Game Pass would inflict “consumer harm”, Microsoft has come back with a message of their own.

In a new filing (via The Verge), Microsoft says that the FTC’s letter is “misleading” and gives an “extra-record account of the facts.”

“It is wrong to call this [Xbox Game Pass Standard] a “degraded” version of the discontinued Game Pass for Console offering,” Microsoft says.

“That discontinued product did not offer multiplayer functionality, which had to be purchased separately for an additional $9.99/month (making the total cost $20.98/month). While Game Pass Ultimate’s price will increase from $16.99 to $19.99/month, the service will offer more value through many new games available “day-and-date.” Among them is the upcoming release of Call of Duty, which has never before been available on a subscription day-and-date.”

It is a very common tactic for corporations to make ludicrous promises during antitrust investigations, and then not follow them soon after it goes through.

It's not about "keeping their word".  Corporations aren't people.  Their legal team makes arguments that the business people may not even be fully aware of.