Gladiator II (why does this even exist?!?) - Official Trailer

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So a kid sees Russell Crowe become a gladiator and fight for freedom against Commodus then the sequel is them doing the same thing again against some other emperor

To be fair, there were more than a few Commodus-like emperors during the imperial era :p

Not sure why people are hating on this, given the responses I watched the trailer and I thought it looked fun and well shot with some really good action. Got some The Last Duel vibes from how he portrays the 1% as gross and almost sickly. It won't be as good as Gladiator but I'm interested. Written by the guy who did All the Money in the World and Napoleon for Ridley Scott. Haven't seen Napoleon, still waiting on that director's cut that's never coming, but All the Money in the World was pretty good. 

Like @TheLeon said, I would have preferred the gonzo Nick Cave version to have been made, but that was never happening.

• stepee 1
  • True 1

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Total Divas GIF by E!

In retrospect I wish I hadn't as the trailer revealed a good bit and I knew I was already going to check out the full movie anyway when it releases but the responses in here were harsh so curiosity got the best of me. 

15 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

In retrospect I wish I hadn't as the trailer revealed a good bit and I knew I was already going to check out the full movie anyway when it releases but the responses in here were harsh so curiosity got the best of me. 

Yeah whatever is happening with Denzel seems to be a big plot twist they just put in the trailer. Good times.

• True 1

If Gladiator was a 90's Disney movie, this would be a direct-to-video sequel.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Let's face it: Ridley Scott just has got to be trolling us at this point.

I can only guess that Scott has a passion-project he has to fund by doing this.

I'm not one of those people that thinks the original is a super great movie, though I did like it. Though I do think it's funny that Klaus Bedell, who did the score for the original Pirates of the Caribbean, ABSOLUTELY ripped off the score from Gladiator. Though given that Hans Zimmer, who did the score for Gladiator, went on to score Dead Man's Chest and At World's End, I'm assuming at least some of it was intentional.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Not sure why people are hating on this, given the responses I watched the trailer and I thought it looked fun and well shot with some really good action.

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Watch it again

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Watch it again

I did - what am I looking for? You could just tell me what potential issues with the film you saw in the trailer. :p I don't know if the movie will be good or not, we may get Exodus: Gods and Kings or we may get The Last Duel (to choose from the later Ridley Scott era). We could get Kingdom of Heaven or we could get Robin Hood. We could get something akin to Gladiator or we may get something like the theatrical cut of Napoleon. The trailer doesn't really indicate which way this movie will swing so all I see is a cool trailer. The aforementioned films are his 6 prior "sword and sandal" epics, with this being his seventh. He's made 3 amazeballs ones (Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut and The Last Duel), one average one (Robin Hood) and one bad one (Exodus: Gods and Kings). I haven't seen Napoleon but I hear that would go in the "average" pile. So it's not like Ridley doesn't usually know what he's doing in this arena but we could also get another Exodus: Gods and Kings (which also looked good in trailers). But I'm hopeful.

• stepee 1
  • Hype 1

33 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I did - what am I looking for? You could just tell me what potential issues with the film you saw in the trailer. :p I don't know if the movie will be good or not, we may get Exodus: Gods and Kings or we may get The Last Duel (to choose from the later Ridley Scott era). We could get Kingdom of Heaven or we could get Robin Hood. We could get something akin to Gladiator or we may get something like the theatrical cut of Napoleon. The trailer doesn't really indicate which way this movie will swing so all I see is a cool trailer. The aforementioned films are his 6 prior "sword and sandal" epics, with this being his seventh. He's made 3 amazeballs ones (Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut and The Last Duel), one average one (Robin Hood) and one bad one (Exodus: Gods and Kings). I haven't seen Napoleon but I hear that would go in the "average" pile. So it's not like Ridley doesn't usually know what he's doing in this arena but we could also get another Exodus: Gods and Kings (which also looked good in trailers). But I'm hopeful.

Maybe watch it one more time.

Also tldr

• Sicko 1

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

On another note, between this and THOSE WHO ARE ABOUT TO DIE, we're going to get our fill of Roman Gladiator combat this fall. I need to find a copy of Shadow of Rome and finish that. Pretty sure I never beat it. Great underrated game.

What’s this? A new series about Rome, starring Anthony Hopkins, and it starts in a week? Why haven’t I heard of this?

Oh, it’s on Peacock. That explains it. :p

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

What’s this? A new series about Rome, starring Anthony Hopkins, and it starts in a week? Why haven’t I heard of this?

Oh, it’s on Peacock. That explains it. :p

Yeah NOBODY has heard it lol. Looks like Spartacus which is why I'm definitely checking it out.