SCOTUS rules absolute presidential immunity for "official acts"

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Did he really?

Yeah, it was talked about at his trial....

“Somehow we would have to get a package down to the White House, get it down to the president, get the president to sign the checks, get the checks returned to us and then have the checks mailed out,” said Jeff McConney, the former Trump Organization controller.

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, I haven’t followed that too closely in an effort to preserve my sanity. 

I thought the whole thing was he paid the hush money in an effort to influence the election. 

But whatever, nothing fucking matters anymore. 

Long story short, the deal was done before the election to help him win. Cohen paid Clifford before the election. Trump didn't sign the checks to reimburse Cohen until he was in office. 

There's actually a bit more to it than that, there was something of a standing catch and kill order for these stories, but that's the basics.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

So do all those things cited in the declaration count as official acts? 

He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries

….

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us,

Lmao

It’s quite telling that CJ Roberts opinion relies almost entirely on Nixon v Fitzgerald, and a few Trump cases since 2018, while Sotomayor’s dissent relies heavily on the literal Constitution and a number of different Federal Papers.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

You see personal/business checks signed by the president are official presidential acts because the president signs bills into law

Only if he uses the same Sharpie for both. 

In her own separate concurrence, Justice Amy Coney Barrett agreed with the majority “that the Constitution prohibits Congress from criminalizing a President’s exercise” of his core constitutional powers and “closely related conduct.” But she would have courts approach the question of immunity for other official acts differently, by focusing first on whether the criminal law under which a former president is charged applies to his official acts and, if so, whether prosecuting the former president would interfere with his constitutional authority.

Reading SCOTUS blog and it’s remarkable that they didn’t at least limit the immunity as Barrett suggests. 

The President of the United States would be liable to be impeached, tried, and, upon conviction of treason, bribery, or other high crimes or misdemeanors, removed from office; and would afterwards be liable to prosecution and punishment in the ordinary course of law. 

The Federalist Papers : No. 69

This stuff only matters whenever it works in their favor. 

Perhaps this will be overruled one day. 

whelp they're officially going with "vote harder!"

“I know I will respect the limits of presidential power as I have for the three-and-a-half years, but any president, including Donald Trump, will now be free to ignore the law,” Biden said.

https://apnews.com/article/biden-election-2024-debate-c47243b3cedb88ce6ea7905a1975e164

As for the hush money sentencing...

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The former president is seeking to have the verdict in the hush money case set aside in light of the Supreme Court's ruling Monday that he has some immunity for actions he took as president in his separate election interference case.

Prosecutors in the Manhattan district attorney's office said Tuesday that they don't oppose delaying the sentencing of Donald Trump in his hush money case given the Supreme Court's ruling Monday that he has immunity for some of his actions as president in his separate election interference case.

Several assistant district attorneys made their position known in a letter to New York Judge Juan Merchan, who's presiding over the hush money case. Trump was convicted of 34 felony counts of falsifying business records related to a hush money payment his former lawyer Michael Cohen made to adult film actor Stormy Daniels at the end of the 2016 presidential campaign to cover up an alleged affair. Trump denies any affair with Daniels.

He was scheduled to be sentenced on July 11, but that hearing now will likely be pushed back until after the Republican National Convention, which begins July 15.

“Although we believe defendant’s arguments to be without merit, we do not oppose his request for leave to file and his putative request to adjourn sentencing pending determination of his motion,” the prosecutors wrote to Merchan.

The prosecutors asked that Trump’s legal team file the request to adjourn the sentencing hearing by July 24, two weeks after the original requested deadline. 

The letter was signed by the assistant district attorneys who prosecuted the hush money case, including Joshua Steinglass, Matthew Colangelo, Christopher Conroy, Susan Hoffinger and Becky Mangold. 

• Guillotine 2

8 hours ago, Jason said:

whelp they're officially going with "vote harder!"

https://apnews.com/article/biden-election-2024-debate-c47243b3cedb88ce6ea7905a1975e164

Not a whole lot else to recommend.  The Supreme Court is unaccountable, and thanks to 3 people nominated by a President not even elected by the American people, not even pretending they don't favor one side.

3 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Not a whole lot else to recommend.  The Supreme Court is unaccountable, and thanks to 3 people nominated by a President not even elected by the American people, not even pretending they don't favor one side.

Biden using these powers SCOTUS says the president has to protect the country seems like an obvious thing to recommend.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The former president is seeking to have the verdict in the hush money case set aside in light of the Supreme Court's ruling Monday that he has some immunity for actions he took as president in his separate election interference case.

Painfully stupid.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Aaaaaand it's been postponed to September 18.

• Guillotine 3

I thought this was a helpful image that aligned with how I understood the ruling. Rather importantly, an act is not official or unofficial simply by declaration of the executive. The constitution itself, as well as congress and the judiciary play an important role here. Still a little too vague for my liking.

IMG-0544

26 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I thought this was a helpful image that aligned with how I understood the ruling. Rather importantly, an act is not official or unofficial simply by declaration of the executive. The constitution itself, as well as congress and the judiciary play an important role here. Still a little too vague for my liking.

IMG-0544

lol at thinking this SCOTUS would use any chart other than 

20240701_173153.jpg

• True 1

35 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

It is indeed odd that people still think the actual document is the constitution and not whatever SCOTUS says at this point.

This has been the case for roughly 221 years. The chart posted is about how a federal court is to decide such matters of federal prosecution. 

39 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

It is indeed odd that people still think the actual document is the constitution and not whatever SCOTUS says at this point.

The US constitution is a religious document, not a governing document. Quote me on it!